Thread: The NERF MAVERICK

Worst overclocker evar!!

Talking The NERF MAVERICK

For those of you without something awful accounts, I thought I'd share the joy that is ther Nerf Maverick.

In short, the nerf maverick is the single best way to spend $8. I would contend that it is the single best way to spend $16, as well.

So let's start with the basics:

1. What is a Nerf Maverick? It's a revolver, made by nerf. It totally sweet.

2. What makes the Nerf Maverick so great? Several things. First, it's a great toy as it is. It shoots these darts pretty far with a pretty good amount of force. I think stock range is about 30 ft... and if you shoot someone point blank, they definately feel it.

The real joy comes from modding them, though. There are two essential mods to be done. One is the "russian roullette" mod. This one is very simple, and will allow you to play safe RR in the privacy of your own home (think RR drinking game ).

To do this, though, you need to get the barrel to swing out the full way so that it can spin (it is limited to only coming part-way out by default). This requires cutting two small bits of plastic off the gun.

The first bit is here:

And here is the second:

I suggest using a hot knife, it cuts right through the plastic, making this mod very easy.

The second mod is to get more distance out of the gun by removing the limiters. This mod is more complicated and requires taking the gun apart, so here is the complete guide at NERF HQ: http://www.nerfhq.com/article_view.php?p=22516

But wait, what fun is a gun if it's blue and yellow, right?

These are my personal mavericks. I did a base coat of rustolium, then did a coat of black spray paint, and finally splattered some dark bronze paint on there for that "heavily used in combat" look. They looked pretty sweet with just rustolium, and pretty sweet as solid black too. Pretty much, you can't go wrong painting these.

And one last tip: I find that the darts are much more fun if you take off the suction cup tip and put a thin coat of "Amazing Goop" or some other dense plastic compound on. They fly much farther and hit with a lot more punch. With all the mods, my gun fires in the range of 55-65ft, and definately hurts enough that you don't want it to go off if you're playing RR

So, if you want to have some fun for less than $20, head out to your local wal-mart, k-mart, toys 'r us, etc. and pick up a pair of mavericks. I've had mine for about a month and they haven't gotten old yet.

MUCH credit to teh jhey on Something Awful Forums for posting the info about these originally!
    I used to have links here demonstrating how awesome I am, but it's been so long that they're not very relevant (and the pictures have disappeared), so I guess I'll have to get working on new stuff.

I am Xtreme
    My kids will love this one. As will all the big kids.

Banned
    /me heads to wally world for some oldskewl nerf buying action

Xtreme Mentor

Don't cut like that! Always cut away from yourself.
    For those of you about to post:

Xtreme Cruncher
    what if you WANT to cut yourself? Then you can say you got a cut from a NERF product

Worst overclocker evar!!
    Quote Originally Posted by craig588

Don't cut like that! Always cut away from yourself.
    not my picture, but i agree, that's a bad way to go about it.

like i said, a hot knife is the best way to do this. just push through slowly and it'll cut very easily.
    I used to have links here demonstrating how awesome I am, but it's been so long that they're not very relevant (and the pictures have disappeared), so I guess I'll have to get working on new stuff.

Xtreme Cruncher
    eshbach, have you done this mod yourself? some plastic is very easy to cut though while others seem to be very hard. the ones that are easy and "soft" sort to speak, that is a better way to cut though because you have more control over the knife. I say this because it is though my own experience.

Any type of hard plastic that is a horrible way to cut.

Worst overclocker evar!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye550
    eshbach, have you done this mod yourself? some plastic is very easy to cut though while others seem to be very hard. the ones that are easy and "soft" sort to speak, that is a better way to cut though because you have more control over the knife. I say this because it is though my own experience.

Any type of hard plastic that is a horrible way to cut.
    yes, i have done both of the mods i posted. this plastic is difficult to cut with a cold blade, but with a hot blade it is very easy.

Xtreme Cruncher
    ahh ok. Yeah, I would defanitly not recomend to cut tward yourself then. I did once, only ONCE, and that was not a good idea, I almost cut deep into my skin

XS News
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye550
    ahh ok. Yeah, I would defanitly not recomend to cut tward yourself then. I did once, only ONCE, and that was not a good idea, I almost cut deep into my skin
    poor baby, almost a deep cut

I split/cut the skin inbetween my middle finger and the one next to the pinky, result was no blood, but I could see my bone moving inside! I was totaly freaked out, I was like 12.
    i7-3820
    SB Z
    16GB 2200
    GTX690
    1KW Lazer

Xtreme Cruncher
    me and 6 of my 20 yr old friends all went out and picked these up about 2 weeks ago from WalMart.. they are 7 bux.. we;ve had so much fun.. i will mod mine out cuz im 1337 like that

Thanks for the info.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaMerc
    poor baby, almost a deep cut

I split/cut the skin inbetween my middle finger and the one next to the pinky, result was no blood, but I could see my bone moving inside! I was totaly freaked out, I was like 12.
    ouch, well I got one myself, I was moving my fridge from one place to another. I put my finger in a hole so it didn’t fall over going down a stair. Stupid me, it wasn’t smother, cut deep into my skin and I could see the muscle move. I felt fine until I found out I might have to get stitches, then I felt really sick. I didn’t get the stitches

but, enough off topic.

that is a great find and I'll try to get my friends to pick those up as well to mod

Drunken RR here we come
    Last edited by Deadeye550; 02-23-2006 at 04:29 PM.

ROFL this is great... I will have to get one of these.

I am Xtreme
    I think I'll be headed to toys R us this weekend...
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Xtreme Cruncher
    i just completed the "fully open chamber" mod... nothing bad...

had only my IHS popping box cutter and some small screwdrivers.. didnt take too long.. now i have to get the damn thing back together tho.. which is harder than i thought it would be.... gun shoots not nearly as far tho.. once the chamber has been apart.

Xtreme Member
    I bet these stores have no idea why theres a bunch of 20-30 yr olds buying these all of a sudden

Worst overclocker evar!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet2urbrain
    i just completed the "fully open chamber" mod... nothing bad...

had only my IHS popping box cutter and some small screwdrivers.. didnt take too long.. now i have to get the damn thing back together tho.. which is harder than i thought it would be.... gun shoots not nearly as far tho.. once the chamber has been apart.
    hmm, I got a lot more distance after doing the mods... are you sure you got everything back together right?

Xtreme Cruncher
    i didnt follow all the steps.. and i dont know what type of "master primer restricter whatever the hell that guy calls them" so i dont know if i need to glue or what..

i'd be sweet if he had some better pics.. i could/can take better pics.. plus im hearing alot o crap rattle... i'll have to ask my Mechanical Engineering friends.. i dont do plastic and mechanics i do electricity

an EE with a gun.. now thats a bad combination.. jk

Xtreme Cruncher
    i'll report back and make a detailed matlab plot and multisim (electronics workbench) comparison of the Maverick Pre and Post modification..

i have all my darts initialed like im still 10yrs old... it rox