Thread: Is water cooling right for me?

Xtreme Member

Is water cooling right for me?

Just wanted to gather your thoughts. My present setup is in my sig with a Lian Li PC07B PLus case setup with 5 120mm Fans (2 front intakes, 1 rear exhaust, 1 cpu, 1 PS exhaust) utilizing a TTBT. My temps are typically around 28 Idle and 45C Loaded, but thats with all the fans kicking in at full speed, which can be a nuisance and has frustrated me since I thought moving to 120mm fans would cure some of the noise issues I had with my old Silverstone case (92mm / 80mm fans). So now I'm contemplating WC for:

1) I'm OCing to 3Ghz now
    2) Noise is a big concern for me, especially as an HTPC system in the living room
    3) I like to tinker

More specifically I'm looking at the Swiftech Apex Ultra Kit. This kit seems to have it all (dual rad, good pump, etc.), besides the Apogee block instead of the Storm. I'm also thinking of possibly the TT BigWater SE since I will only be cooling the CPU. Your thoughts?

-150c Club Member
    Don't buy a kit,
    Take a look thru the stickies...

and check www.dangerden.com

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Watercooling can be for anyone.. With that said there are a few lessons learned that I can share. I went the watercooling route for noise reasons. The original P4 fans sounded like jet engines and since my computer is in the same room as the TV I didn't want to listen to it all the time.

Hear are my suggestions:

1. Go all the way.. I just did the CPU at first and then you get addicted and want to do the chipset and video etc..
    2. Depending on where you live, get some anti algea addative. I had an ecosystem in my resivoir.
    3. Use non conductive cooling liquid.. gives you a little peace of mind
    4. Put a flow monitor in your tubing somewhere.. that way you don't have to stare at your resivoir to see if there are bubbles to know its working.

All these things are my opinion so I am sure other people have some other tips. For the most part if you like to tinker then welcome to the club

Smooth out

Damit post deleted.. lets start over.

TOoSmOotH, not to target you but...

1. chipset totaly useless in 90% of cases.. Just get a good copper based solution or a heatpipe based chipset cooler.

3. Nonconductive fluid is over rated. With a properly prepped system, deionzied or distilled water can stay nearly non conductive for very long periods of time. Moral of the story.. the so-called "nonconductive" fluids are highly over-rated, and only useful to the most paranoid of users.

4. Any flowmeter that costs less than 1000 dollars (retail) will put serious strain on your loop and is totaly not worth it. for the most part a better option is to get a DC pump with a sense wire on it and hook it up to the SMBUS on your computer. This will monitor the speed of the pump to ensure that everything is working correctly. Granted its not fool proof but it works very well.. Combine that with thermal protection on the cpu and gpu, and your plenty safe.

Xtreme Member
    maxx speaks the truth

I don't feel targeted. Thus why I added that these were all my opinion and not fact

Most folks who ask me about watercooling freak out about the idea of a connection coming lose and frying their rig. I mentioned it as a way to get a little peice of mind. (I use distilled water)

I agree with you on the chipset unless the plan is to go to a completely fanless setup. I would be fanless if they made modular water cooled PSUs.. Currently the only watercooled PSUs are old school.

Having a flow meter in your loop does add some strain, but it has always been acceptable for me. For others this may not be the case.

With watercooling there are tons of options and tons of ways to do it. Perfect for those who like to tinker and have the cash to do it.

Smooth out