Thread: KD7-G Serial ATA Problems

KD7-G Serial ATA Problems

Just bought 3 KD7-Gs from newegg along with 3 XP1700s and happened to get a trio of nice little JIUHB step codes, so we might clock the servers up a bit : )

But that's not the problem. The problem is that with all three boards, the 2nd Serial ATA port will not recognize the hard disk in the BIOS.

I switched the jumpers around and tired every combo possible on the hard drives. Both drives are seen in Port 1 when run separately. Neither drive is seen by port 2, whether I boot with both plugged in or neither. I've switched serial ATA cables, the Serillel adapters, everything. What are the odds I got three bad boards in the same shipment? Probably 0.

The drives are WD SE 80GB 8MB cache drives - brand new. Bought six of those. Serial ATA is enabled in the BIOS etc.

Not sure what to do. Anything I am missing here that has been discussed elsewhere. Been searching for solutions for 2 hours now and come up with little.

Thanks.

RB

Question

There is NO slave drives with SATA.
    If you jumper both drives as master, I think you will find they will work.
    WD has a sensitave jumper system.
    If this still does not work for you. Call WD tech support, they are OK.
    However I think if you will jumper both drives as master/ I think that will work fine.
    nForce2 Super System
    A7N8X/dx 1002
    XP2500+ Barton
    Radeon 9500 Pro DDR128
    SLK800 w/Tornado 84cfm
    XP Professional
    2x256mb PC2700
    Xaser II w/full side window
    WD 120gb SE Hard Drive
    Satellite ISP
    www.eagleperformancepcs.com

yeah, i think it still very possibly could be a jumper issue, so i will give a shout to WD tech support per your advice.

However, both of the drives have been set to master for a while. I can plug Drive A into Port one with the jumper set to master, and it's recognized. I then simply move the plug for Drive A two Port two, re-boot, and it's not there.

However, given that it's happening on all three boards, it's likely a WD issue, but who knows? I'll try my maxtor drive today and see if that doesn't get it any further.

thanks for the input. it is very much appreciated!

rb

Try removing the jumpers. I have no jumpers on my KG7 or KX7 boards raid arrays. They won't recognize the drives with jumpers on.

i fixed it. took off both jumpers completely and re-routed power supply connections. ashamed to say, and not completely sure of it, but I might just have had the molex plugs routed through a few too many shortcuts with the pass thru adapters or something! Oh well. Just glad it's working. Thanks again for the input!

rb

btw, does anyone know where serial to ATA (serillel adapaters) can be had for less than the $25 or so that I've seen them going for?