Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Could the Playstation 3 Kill Sony?

My answer is no, its like microsoft they havent made money on the xbox since its day of release but they made it clear they arent stopping
    The Xbox 360 is actually profitable now.

I have to agree. I won’t buy a PS3 (maybe when they drop to $250), but Sony seems to be pulling through.
    +1

I just went and read the first page of this thread for the first time. Its funny how many people had it figured PS3 would fail and even Blu Ray wouldn't win. I think that the PS3 has really strong legs to stand on as a Blu Ray player and console in one right now. That makes it a very capable piece of technology for consumers to use for many different reasons. It also has a great Linux and homebrew environment for even the most hardcore purchasers. Above all of that the PS3 is still a reliable and quieter console with a great track record for non-failure, a la RROD. If you don't want to spend a butt load of money on a computer, or $500 on a crappy Dell, the PS3 can do all of your web browsing ETC ETC also! How could it fail now? Its software is showing us now just what it needs to be for the console to remain successful. But if Sony can't keep cranking out blockbuster software, then they could lose the hearts of the Sony fans out there.

They need to make big headlines with big titles:
    God Of War Series - Slated
    Gran Turismo - out, and another one coming.
    MGS4 - On its way
    Final Fantasy Series - Coming out, some time..
    Killzone - will have to be good and earn its spotlight, its not getting a lot of press so I'm not holding my breath for this one
    Resistance 2 - actually looking like a good improvement on the first one.

I think a lot of the above software has most of the sway in how successful this console can be.

Quote Originally Posted by eXclusive View Post
    The Xbox 360 is actually profitable now.

+1

I just went and read the first page of this thread for the first time. Its funny how many people had it figured PS3 would fail and even Blu Ray wouldn't win. I think that the PS3 has really strong legs to stand on as a Blu Ray player and console in one right now. That makes it a very capable piece of technology for consumers to use for many different reasons. It also has a great Linux and homebrew environment for even the most hardcore purchasers. Above all of that the PS3 is still a reliable and quieter console with a great track record for non-failure, a la RROD. If you don't want to spend a butt load of money on a computer, or $500 on a crappy Dell, the PS3 can do all of your web browsing ETC ETC also! How could it fail now? Its software is showing us now just what it needs to be for the console to remain successful. But if Sony can't keep cranking out blockbuster software, then they could lose the hearts of the Sony fans out there.

They need to make big headlines with big titles:
    God Of War Series - Slated
    Gran Turismo - out, and another one coming.
    MGS4 - On its way
    Final Fantasy Series - Coming out, some time..
    Killzone - will have to be good and earn its spotlight, its not getting a lot of press so I'm not holding my breath for this one
    Resistance 2 - actually looking like a good improvement on the first one.

I think a lot of the above software has most of the sway in how successful this console can be.
    Just to clarify, Gran Turismo isn't really "out" we just got a preview of the game. And there are actually far more really cool titles in development that I read about every month in GI that I never see talked about online much.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

I am Xtreme
    I hated the PS3 when it came out, now, with it BRD capabilities, its codec support, and awesome UI i think it's the stronger platform. Especially at it's current competetive price (it's cheaper then most BRD players, and offers better support as it's constantly updating the BRD codec's. )

Xtreme Member
    i am NOT a sony fan and hence not a ps3 fan...

until the opportunity presented itself and i ended up getting a ps3... now i am still not a sony fan BUT the ps3 is my most played console (out of the wii and x360)

ps3 (despite being price prohibitive initially) is an brilliant piece of gear, good value for money (blue-ray) and as more people realise this more people will buy it
    |W3570|ClassifiedE760|12gbGT2000c7|2x[XFXgtx295]|X-fiForte|2xF120raid0|2x300gbVraptor|HX1000|LianPC-71|Dell3007wfp-HC|

Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    SuperPi is like caviar. It's an acquired taste.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No way will the PS3 be the end of Sony. Hell i think the sony corporation would be impossible to kill off what with all the money they have so far succesfully managed in the Blu-Ray technology, their expansive electronics department, their film studio's, music studio's etc.

Sony are massive and if the PS3 is a failure I can't see it being a major deal but considering Sony entered the console market originally through a fall out with nintendo. I think they've come a bloody long way. I just hope that Sony can get the 'first,' console out of the next generation, that will give them a lead in the sales. Though I don't want them to sacrifice quality in order to do that like microsoft did. The 360 is a piece of tat, but its just got so many great games for it. Microsoft knew that they could get away with selling a piece of tat as long as it played games. Just look at windows. All microsoft have done is make sure they have a platform and then buy up a load of studios with which to provide great material for it. Meanwhile Sony spent time and effort developing a great platform to discover that all the game devs were suddenly sucking bill gates in the hope for a flash of his wallet.

Sony also has a large manufacturing business, with customers like Nikon. They make LCD screens, Li-Ion batteries, digital camera sensors, and many other components.

There is no way a single item, even if it is such a high risk big ticket item like the PS3, could take down such a diversified company.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Holiday Videogame Sales Meltdown Part 3: Sony's PlayStation Family Struggles
    Old guard of PS2 beginning to fade, PSP lacking a big game, and PS3 selling sluggishly.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171989

Reading the whole 3 part story it seems Sony really needs a price cut. The $199 360 has sold very well.

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Want me to believe your hardware review? Show me a receipt

Xtreme Member
    No its a great blu ray player!
    i7 920
    P6T Deluxe
    6GB G-skill 1600
    4870 1gb
    2x 500gb 7,200 barracuda raid 0
    900W PSU
    BenQ G2400WD 24"
    Sennheiser PC 350

http://www.youtube.com/user/knissel

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by knissel View Post
    No its a great blu ray player!
    A blu ray player that can play games.

From day one game developers say that they have trouble tweaking the games for enough FPS on PS3, while they say they have this problem far less on xbox360. If you see IQ comparisons between PC, x360 and PS3 you see that PS3 is already lacking graphical power. Xbox-360 seems most future proof in my eyes. I don't believe blu ray will be that important for a console in the next 3 years. For that reason I think they should make the console much cheaper.
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme Addict
    Heh, the 360 will never be profitable due to the sheer mountain of cash they've had to put in place just to cover RROD. Neither will the PS3, Microsoft and Sony have always manufactured at a loss, they make their returns on software.

Nintendo is in another league there, they're manufacturing a machine that is essentially a gamecube, of course they're making bags of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by ownage View Post
    If you see IQ comparisons between PC, x360 and PS3 you see that PS3 is already lacking graphical power.
    Care to back up any of this? I've only played a handful of games that are on both consoles but on each one the ps3 always has at least a slight advantage. Oblivion is a good example, Bethesda commented on being able to make improvements with the ps3 version due to the hardware.
    TJ07 | Corsair HX1000W | Gigabyte EX58 Extreme | i7 930 @ 4ghz | Ek Supreme | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Laing DDC 12v w/ mod plexi top | 3x2gb Corsair 1600mhz | GTX 680 | Raid 0 300gb Velociraptor x 2 | Razer Lachesis & Lycosa | Win7 HP x64 | fluffy dice.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Xello View Post
    Care to back up any of this? I've only played a handful of games that are on both consoles but on each one the ps3 always has at least a slight advantage. Oblivion is a good example, Bethesda commented on being able to make improvements with the ps3 version.
    http://www.gamespot.com/features/6202552/index.html

>i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme Addict
    There are some differences there, but this shows some too, in favour of the ps3. More importantly i think, Bethesda haven't come out and actually said anything to indicate that the 360 offered them advantages over the ps3. I've been out of console gaming for a while but last i remember, the ps3 was generally accepted as having more power under the hood, i'll have to pull up a spec sheet.
    TJ07 | Corsair HX1000W | Gigabyte EX58 Extreme | i7 930 @ 4ghz | Ek Supreme | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Laing DDC 12v w/ mod plexi top | 3x2gb Corsair 1600mhz | GTX 680 | Raid 0 300gb Velociraptor x 2 | Razer Lachesis & Lycosa | Win7 HP x64 | fluffy dice.

No disrespect, but the question of Sony Corporation being killed off due to the PS3 is silly

Just consider all the other branches of Sony

a poorly selling console will ruin Sony ? take out Sony BMG ? Sony Pictures ?

hm...

Xtreme Member
    A Blu-Ray player that can play games, run Linux, fold, have as much hard drive spaces as you feel like, and can download HD movies.
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage Formula X48
    CPU: Q6600 @ 3.65ghz 1.472v 406x9
    RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR2-1000PQ @ DDR2-1066
    Graphics: 2x Visiontek HD4870 512MB 811mhz core 1125mhz mem (4500mhz effective)
    Storage: 160GB 2.5 Fujitsu boot, 160GB Seagate & 160GB Western Digital storage
    Optical: Sony NEC Optiarc SATA
    Sound: Asus Xonar DX
    Headphones: Sennheiser HD280Pro w/tack mod
    PSU: Corsair TX750
    Case: Antec P180B (P182 rev)

Xtreme Member
    if your keeping up with current events then you would know that sony is not doing very well as a COMPANY. I dont think the ps3 can kill sony but its not helping them at all right now either

Xtreme Member
    That's like asking if xbox360 could kill microsoft if it tanked. Sony has been around the block a few times and ps3 was probably more of a slow long term product to them. I have both an xbox3 and a ps3 and I keep asking myself if coulda saved money without buying an xbox and dumped into my pc. I get basically the same experience from both of those. I don't get the fanboy camps at all. Lately I've been playing games on my ps3 and watching HD movies on it as well and am contemplating selling my xbox3 because I never use it. It's all a matter of opinion anyways. My GF is pretty pissed about Final Fantasy being held off another year because of MS, but whatever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member

From day one game developers say that they have trouble tweaking the games for enough FPS on PS3, while they say they have this problem far less on xbox360. If you see IQ comparisons between PC, x360 and PS3 you see that PS3 is already lacking graphical power. Xbox-360 seems most future proof in my eyes. I don't believe blu ray will be that important for a console in the next 3 years. For that reason I think they should make the console much cheaper.
    This is because developers can run their engines and optimize on a pc. PS3 developers have to run the compiled code on ps3 hardware. Pretty gey imo but I still like my ps3.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DistortioniZm View Post
    This is because developers can run their engines and optimize on a pc. PS3 developers have to run the compiled code on ps3 hardware. Pretty gey imo but I still like my ps3.
    As do developers for the 360 and Wii
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage Formula X48
    CPU: Q6600 @ 3.65ghz 1.472v 406x9
    RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR2-1000PQ @ DDR2-1066
    Graphics: 2x Visiontek HD4870 512MB 811mhz core 1125mhz mem (4500mhz effective)
    Storage: 160GB 2.5 Fujitsu boot, 160GB Seagate & 160GB Western Digital storage
    Optical: Sony NEC Optiarc SATA
    Sound: Asus Xonar DX
    Headphones: Sennheiser HD280Pro w/tack mod
    PSU: Corsair TX750
    Case: Antec P180B (P182 rev)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sony has lost a ton of cash, but so have other companies now days, will the Ps3 alone kill them? No.

P.s. Xello you can delete your posts in case you doublepost.
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

KingKwentyne
    I dont believe that the PS3 will bring sony down. the only reason they are moving less units than the competition is because the ps3 is just more expensive.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
    Sony has lost a ton of cash, but so have other companies now days, will the Ps3 alone kill them? No.

P.s. Xello you can delete your posts in case you doublepost.
    Thanks pal, did not know that

Xtreme Enthusiast
    alot of my friends who have a 360 are now buying ps3, due to the bigger variety of games.

seems xbox has mostly shooter games with a couple rpg's and strategy games here and there, none of which are great, save fable. least that's how one of my friends put it. i dont pay much attention to xbox, but i do know that he has fable, and the rest of the games he has are shooters, or non exclusives.

and can you imagine how big the next final fantasy game could have been had they stayed ps3 exclusive and put the thing on a bluray disc? it would be like ff7 play time of 60+ hrs, which would be AWESOME.
    emptiness

trance, they will probably just do multi-DVD, just like Blue Dragon was 3 discs.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i would hope so, im tired of these 30-40 hour ff games with horrible characters and annoying story lines.

i miss the old fight system too
    emptiness

Xtreme Cruncher
    boy this thread is 3 years old, and its now clear things have changed for the PS3. When the Slim comes out, PS3's will sell like crazy. And as we move into the future [better graphics and blu rays] the PS3 will continue moving forward and the XBOX will be the one hurting, unable to keep up with either of those

Speaking of 'killing' a company, i dont think the 360's 54% failure rate will help Microsoft's image
    Last edited by GTSRboy; 08-24-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Q9300 [Crunch] / XFX GTX285 [Fold] / EVGA 750i
    Two 250GB 7200 / 4GB XMS2 800 / 1Kw XPS PSU / Freezer Pro 7
    10,797 3DMark Vantage / Scythe 120mm Case fans / Vista U. 64
    PS3 - 700 Work Units and going strong!, XPS 720 H2C Case
    Crunching 24/7 on Q9300....might upgrade to an i7

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast