Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Could the Playstation 3 Kill Sony?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post

Sony was taking a risk by using the PS3 to try to get the bluray disc out. But seriously, what game needs 25GB?????? They're making the customer pay more for a total waste of EVERYTHING.
    I watch movies. I like my movies having HD content that takes up 25gb. I hate Sony and I hope bluray fails hard but as of now, it aint happenin. They do make some nice TVs though...
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

I'm loving my 60gb PS3.

The 360 Elite comes out the day after my birthday, I believe I'll be getting it, I only wish it was 65nm.

Well I must say, there are idiots who think bluray improves graphics, and there are idiots who think ps3s are like super powerful and like even better than the best computers...want verification? They're in my school

Sony was taking a risk by using the PS3 to try to get the bluray disc out. But seriously, what game needs 25GB?????? They're making the customer pay more for a total waste of EVERYTHING.
    Blue Dragon (360) is going to be a 3-DVD game. That is why you need HD-DVD (which Microsoft skimped on) or Blu-Ray (which Sony didn't).

Look back a bit. A lot of games are now DVD games but a lot are still CD, and shouldn't be because my Titan Quest game is 5 CD's but could have been pressed onto a single DVD.

When you are putting high resolution (aka "HD") content into a game you will eventually exceed the limitations of a DVD.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    Blue Dragon (360) is going to be a 3-DVD game. That is why you need HD-DVD (which Microsoft skimped on) or Blu-Ray (which Sony didn't).

Look back a bit. A lot of games are now DVD games but a lot are still CD, and shouldn't be because my Titan Quest game is 5 CD's but could have been pressed onto a single DVD.

When you are putting high resolution (aka "HD") content into a game you will eventually exceed the limitations of a DVD.
    HD content being what? Because I've got some 2-3 year old games that can run on HD reses
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Cruncher

But what about dual layer DVDs? I don't think games will be exceeding 8GB anytime soon...
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

I'm not sure if Blue Dragon is using dual layer or not, but they said it will be 3 DVD's so I doubt it. Can these consoles read dual layer?
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme X.I.P.
    id say in the long run blueray will win, in the near term there will be hybrid players. about the ps3, i dont know but i doubt itll be very successfull even with killer game titles. i hope it follows the same fate as the dreamcast, but even if it does i doubt it would be the end of sony.

Xtreme Mentor
    the PS3 cant kill Sony.
    at max a few people will lose their jobs. Sony is active in alot of markets. Yes the PS3 is a important product to Sony but it isnt everything.

the PS3 is important to them cause its not only a console but also a tool for them to market Blu-ray.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

I am Xtreme
    I'm not sure if Blue Dragon is using dual layer or not, but they said it will be 3 DVD's so I doubt it. Can these consoles read dual layer?
    of course they can dual layer dvds have been around since the birth of DVD's.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    the PS3 cant kill Sony.
    at max a few people will lose their jobs. Sony is active in alot of markets. Yes the PS3 is a important product to Sony but it isnt everything.

the PS3 is important to them cause its not only a console but also a tool for them to market Blu-ray.
    This is what I'm thinking. Sony may be making a bold move - with a bit of "because we can" thrown in there, but I don't see how it can bring the whole empire down. There's always potential though, and that'll be unbelievable. The PS3 will become "the little console that could".

Xtreme Cruncher
    ^ That's my cat in your avatar IIRC they do use DL DVDs.

Just like some RPGs on PS1 had multiple CDs......what's the big deal?? I'd rather switch a disc after 10+ hours then pay $200 for a format that might be obsolete down the road.
    Well I must say, there are idiots who think bluray improves graphics, and there are idiots who think ps3s are like super powerful and like even better than the best computers...want verification? They're in my school

Finally someone who agrees And Kojima said MGS4 needs more than DL BD (50GB)
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

I am Xtreme
    Just like some RPGs on PS1 had multiple CDs......what's the big deal?? I'd rather switch a disc after 10+ hours then pay $200 for a format that might be obsolete down the road.
    Switching disks sucks, you now have 2 disks instead of 1 which sucks, and it doesn't help progress technology.

There's no risk that you'll buy a PS3 then be screwed if BL dies because THE DRIVE IS BLURAY THEREFORE THE GAMES MUST BE BLURAY.
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Xtreme Member
    I pretty much think that the PS3 is gonna push Sony to its crying point in the US. The PS3 reminds me alot of other failed consoles, like the 3DO, or the Neo Geo. It has superior technologies than all the other consoles, but not enough decent games. I dont really care how fantastic the graphics are if the games arent worth buying.

I personally see the 360 and the Wii dominating in the US. By now there are tons of great games out for the 360, and a few good ones, and tons of promise for the Wii. What does the PS3 have? Not too much.....Resistance, its worth playing maybe, Motorstorm, not my cup of tea. PS3 has already lost exclusive rights to FFXIII and Devil May Cry 3. So what does it have left? MGS4, maybe. I could possibly see myself buying a PS3 for $400 to play this, MAYBE.

I know you hear this alot, but im gonna say it again. Sony lost over 300$ (more than the PS2 originally cost) with every 20GB PS3 sold. Thats why they stopped selling them. They lose slightly less (something like $275) with the 60GB version. We'll just have to see how this one turns out, but my money is on the 360, with the Wii in a tie, or in a close 2nd

Muslim Overclocker
    MGS is not exclusive...

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

Xtreme Member
    MGS4 is exclusive, at the present moment

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    MGS4 is exclusive, at the present moment
    Sony is losing almost all their exclusives...even the Final Fantasy exlusivity is in jeopardy...
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Enthusiast
    if anything the ps3 will become the main market for bluray players. dont most cost like 1k+ right now? the ps3 seems to be the cheapest lol.
    although if they lose final fantasy, they are screwed royally.
    emptiness

Xtreme Member
    Blu ray drives and players run around the same or slightly less than a PS3, that is if you look hard enough

Xtreme Cruncher
    If Blu-ray does win, picking up a PS3 for $200 in a few years with a bunch of cheap games would be a really sweet deal. Right now though i'll just wait for a 360 price drop.
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Addict
    Some/most Original XBOX games use DVD9 discs >>

Xtreme Member
    is the ps3 still the cheapest blu-ray solution?
    Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD mATX w/ HDMI
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 SLACR/G0
    Buffalo Firestix 2x1GB DDR2-1000
    Razer Barracuda AC-1
    Apevia X-Qpack2 Black & 420w PSU
    Stock Intel HS w/ 92mm fan

Quote Originally Posted by cursivearmy1 View Post
    is the ps3 still the cheapest blu-ray solution?
    At the moment, yes but Pioneer is releasing a $300 BD drive next month.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/08/sony_job_cuts/

hmmmmm

Sony has confirmed it intends to cut jobs at its Computer Entertainment Unit in the US, just two months after it announced plans to slash eight per cent of its European workforce.

The troubled firm's game division reported an operating loss of $1.91bn for the year ended 31 March due to the high-costs associated with its PlayStation 3 console. Sony appears to have failed to re-coup those expenses because of the immense popularity of Nintendo's Wii.
    In fact, according to recent figures published by the Japanese games magazine publisher Enterbrain, the Wii is currently outselling the PS3 by at least four to one in Japan, while in the US, it was the top-selling new console for the fourth consecutive month in April, with some 360,000 units shifted versus just 82,000 for Sony's latest machine.

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Want me to believe your hardware review? Show me a receipt

Xtreme Cruncher
    To answer the original question.

Nope dont think so, not anymore atleast.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet2urbrain View Post
    To answer the original question.

Nope dont think so, not anymore atleast.

I have to agree. I won’t buy a PS3 (maybe when they drop to $250), but Sony seems to be pulling through.

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Want me to believe your hardware review? Show me a receipt

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast