Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Could the Playstation 3 Kill Sony?

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by join nbk
    I apologize for the double post, but i just realized something

blu ray is already a consumer product in japan. I think sony may go be a japan exclusive, becuase the US is based off of microsoft more than sony. If you look in japan, you will find stacks of 360s due to japan supporting only japans industry
    Hiroshima didn't help the US rep there

But I hope we see a "revolution"ary difference in ps3 sales

Perkam

Banned
    Revolutanary as in negative or positive

Charcoal or propane?
    Revolutanary as in negative or positive
    Come on man, the quotes have to give that one away....

revolutionary as in the Nintendo Revolution. Perky's hoping it's gonna take a bigger bite out of the market than the GC did.
    DFI UT X58-T3eH8 (being replaced with Giga UD5)
    Core i7 920 D0 mostly stable @ 4Ghz
    TRUE 120
    6GB OCZ Platinum 7-7-7 (still in testing
    XFX 4890 1GB @ 1050/1190
    Corsair HX850W
    CM Cosmos S

Still testing...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trakslacker
    Come on man, the quotes have to give that one away....

revolutionary as in the Nintendo Revolution. Perky's hoping it's gonna take a bigger bite out of the market than the GC did.
    im not a nintendo fan, so i hope not

Xtreme X.I.P.
    im not a Nintendo fan, so I hope not
    The gamecube has survived way longer then anyone ever expected. I wasn't a fan for a long time, but they sucked me in with all the G rated games for the children. Not sure, but if it came down to a $300(?) Revolution or $700(?) ps3.......
    Last edited by JAWS; 03-14-2006 at 11:12 AM.

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Want me to believe your hardware review? Show me a receipt

Xtreme Recruit
    Do any of you guys remember when the halo series came out, xbox sales slyrocked something like 200 precent in a half year. Just keep that in mind.
    I bought an Xbox for the Halo games, but like most people I branched out into others. That's a very valid point. If Microsoft were to lock up more of the popular games it'd be good for clearing their inventory.

Xtreme Recruit
    I only bought an Xbox on release for Halo. FInsished the game and have never played it since. What a waste of money .

Saying that I want to build a PC to play Oblivion so I havn't learnt anything.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breeze
    I only bought an Xbox on release for Halo. FInsished the game and have never played it since. What a waste of money .

Saying that I want to build a PC to play Oblivion so I havn't learnt anything.
    waste of money.....come on there are some many different things you could do to your xbox. create a media center box for the family room.

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Xtreme Recruit
    Things just sitting there getting dusty. I should really do something with it, maybe a doorstop .

Xtreme Addict
    I think the fact that it isnt coming out until over a year after the 360, and will cost $200 more when it finally does is a huge blow. I certainly would rather buy a 360 at this point even though I was planning on PS3.

My PC > either though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmn_link (Gamespot)
    Am I being watched by a hacker?

I just went to change my display picture for my Windows account and saw and account that i have never created before. The account name is ASP.NET Machine A...'s .

Xtreme Addict
    I refuse to buy Blu-ray (and probably HD DVD) since both of those companies will limit when and where and how you can use it.

I won't be buying Vista either, buying crap like this just chains you down to corporations even more (not saying we aren't already :P). You can keep your precious intellectual property all to yourself.

Oh yeah Xbox 360 is def not going to "take over" any market. The only place Xbox sold out was the U.S. and Austraila, and even here it sold only around 300,000 units.

Over its time the PS2 has sold close to 12,000,000.

That being said I'm not interested in console gaming to the least, so they wouldn't be able to sell me anyway =)

Xtreme Member
    i think whats really stupid is hd-dvd didn't go to 1080p..ces they said blue-ray@1080p just looks better then hd-dvd...isn't that just incredibly stupid?
    Opteron 170 CCB1E 0550VPMW @ 2.65ghz 1.275 vcore (Big Typhoon) capable of 3ghz
    OCZ Gold DDR400@2-2-2-5
    74GB Raptor
    DFI UT Ultra-D
    Gigabyte 6600gt

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andyisc00l
    i think whats really stupid is hd-dvd didn't go to 1080p..ces they said blue-ray@1080p just looks better then hd-dvd...isn't that just incredibly stupid?
    you have to remember this is all gen 1 there is nothin to say it wont support it in the future just for now at release there isnt the greatest need/demand.
    rig opty 146 under home built phase running 404a 2gb gskill at ddr 572 3 4 3 7 7900gt 600/1660 on dfi nf4 ultra d.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Sony to Lose $900M in 2006/2007 on PS3 Launch?

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sony/so...nch-169963.php

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JAWS
    Sony to Lose $900M in 2006/2007 on PS3 Launch?

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sony/so...nch-169963.php
    Really thats crazy, i hope sony pull out infront of xbox though (allthough i still like both)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If ya'll dont remember the design of the 360.....

The GPU has the 512mb of ram at really insane bandwidth.
    The GPU is also the chipset, so the CPU gets insane ram bandwidth.
    10mb EDO dram is built onto the r500 to be used for AA, AF, etc, so that the rest of the bandwidth isn't bothered by those things. Essentially it gets free AA and AF.
    PII X6 1055T 14x272
    Gigabyte 890GX
    2x4 GB Gskill DDR3@4890
    XFX 7870

Why put value in console graphics when they are allready at a disadvantage?

Xtreme X.I.P.

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JAWS
    Thats ludacris!

Xtreme Member
    To all who say sony will fail, they are a 70 billion dollar industry, on cnet reviews, sony takes the top 10 in just about every categroy that exists(best TV, cameras, recievers, dvd players, headphones, etc), psp sold 4 million units in the US alone, they own sony pictures which owns tons of television shows like seinfeld, king of queens, malcom in the middle, and movies like the da vinci code, pink panther, bac boys 2, mr. deeds, jerry maguires, top 20 semi conductors of the world, own alot of games like everquest, the matrix, tom raider, final fantasy, sony will not gao away..they own half of BMG music which owns columbia and epic and tons of other labels, they're friggen huge, forgot to mention sony computers (vaio), oh yea 150,000 employees worldwide...I just thought this information was kind of interesting for those who care..
    Last edited by andyisc00l; 05-26-2006 at 10:21 PM.
    Opteron 170 CCB1E 0550VPMW @ 2.65ghz 1.275 vcore (Big Typhoon) capable of 3ghz
    OCZ Gold DDR400@2-2-2-5
    74GB Raptor
    DFI UT Ultra-D
    Gigabyte 6600gt

Banned
    good point sony never will die

Xtreme Addict
    PS3 = BetaMax.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Recruit
    As for Sony losing money on console sales, the same thing happened when ps2 hit. I remeber reading that they lost 100 bucks a console for a while. PS3 will own your soul unless all this crap about no used games turns out to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Head
    No jarrod I have absolutley no idea what a unified shader architecture is /sarcasm. It also proceses geometry too... And besides the r500 is partial DX10 compliant. And also the Xbox only has 512MB ram and FC:I probly needs liek 1GB ram to run good so of course they have to knock down textures abit. But i am more then positive the r500 has more graphics processing grunt then what is shown on games like FC:S
    Umm, no, the R500 doesn't include the Geometry shader. That's what stops it from being a true DX10 part. This is *why* it's a partial dx10 part.
    http://www.ukgamer.com/article.php4?id=322&page=1
    ATi have a distinct edge when it comes to designing their unified shader silicon in that they've already done it once for the X-Box360, though the 360's lack of geometry shader capability mean it's not a true DX10 part, and true DX10 will be the only kind of DX10 you'll get. Gone is partial precision, gone is "caps bits" which allowed a game or application to poll the graphics card for information on its capabilities, gone are any of the inconsistencies of previous DX incarnations. Either the hardware supports DX10 in its entirety or it's mot a DX10 part at all, it's that simple. That's not to say ATi, or anyone else in fact, can't include capabilities above an beyond what's called for by DX10, in fact ATi admitted to having done just that, it simply means that they won't be accessible from within DX10 and will need to be coded for individually by games developers, perhaps then eventually being absorbed into the next release.

There's NOTHING it can do that the RSX cannot, other than have it's shaders switch on the fly. Therefore, there's nothing the Xbox360 can do that current, on the shelf PC's, cannot do.

Xtreme Member
    I think it just all depends on which HD format the will win if the HD DVD win then 360 wins. if the blue way then PS3

i think PS3 will have better games than 360 but i also think that HD DVD will win over blue ray because its cheaper.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast