Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Could the Playstation 3 Kill Sony?

Xtreme Cruncher
    wtf you talking about? the Xbox 360 is a unified shader architecture WICH NO CURRENT PC GPU HAS! Unfied Shader allows for better gfx and stuffs.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Be very afraid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead Head
    wtf you talking about? the Xbox 360 is a unified shader architecture WICH NO CURRENT PC GPU HAS! Unfied Shader allows for better gfx and stuffs.
    do you even know what unified shader is? a unified shader gpu basically no longer deals with vertex or pixel shaders seperatly but instead has 48 (for the 360 atleast) parallel shaders which can dynamically deal with pixel or vertex, which is a faster method.
    however, this doesn't mean it can't be compared...

Xtreme Cruncher
    No jarrod I have absolutley no idea what a unified shader architecture is /sarcasm. It also proceses geometry too... And besides the r500 is partial DX10 compliant. And also the Xbox only has 512MB ram and FC:I probly needs liek 1GB ram to run good so of course they have to knock down textures abit. But i am more then positive the r500 has more graphics processing grunt then what is shown on games like FC:S
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Be very afraid...
    No jarrod I have absolutley no idea what a unified shader architecture is /sarcasm. It also proceses geometry too... And besides the r500 is partial DX10 compliant. And also the Xbox only has 512MB ram and FC:I probly needs liek 1GB ram to run good so of course they have to knock down textures abit. But i am more then positive the r500 has more graphics processing grunt then what is shown on games like FC:S
    yeah, but atleast you get my point, while the xbox 360 can hang in there it can't get keep up with pc's for too much longer.
    btw, the 512 mb is for system ram, textures resolution limitation really only relys on vid ram not system ram. the textures would have to be taken down mainly because of the video ram limitation (it has 10mb dram (very fast ram even though there is little of it, it probably partially shares its slower system ram for video rendering needs). and because it only has 512mb (less since it probably uses some unknown amount for the shared vid ram) then the level size per level of a game would then be limited, but not really the graphics.
    Last edited by Jarrod1937; 02-28-2006 at 07:02 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    then 10MB ed ram is for little things. The main system ram is GDDR3 with a throughput of 22gbps directly connected to the r500. So i wouldnt consider it slow. Its basicly the GPU ram. but the rest of the system can access it when needed
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Be very afraid...
    then 10MB ed ram is for little things. The main system ram is GDDR3 with a throughput of 22gbps directly connected to the r500. So i wouldnt consider it slow. Its basicly the GPU ram. but the rest of the system can access it when needed
    its till slower than most vid ram that have come out recently (the 512mb system, not the rd).
    either way, its still a bad idea to have them shared. ms would have done better to get 1 gig of slow memory for the system ram and 128 or 256 mb of the gddr3 ram for the vid instead of 512mb of more expensive ram, but i suppose they needed faster ram to feed the 3 cores so they were kind of forced into this. but hey, all this means is that levels will simply have to be split up more for the 360 and some things taken out, so its not too big of a deal.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod1937
    yeah, but atleast you get my point, while the xbox 360 can hang in there it can't get keep up with pc's for too much longer.
    Perhaps not, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run
    what I mean is, that games will be programmed to run smoothly all the time on that thing... on a PC, that's not always the case.. And on the other hand, I don't think the programmers have taken a fraction of the potential out of the X360 yet!

Best Regards
    Silverstone RAVEN RV02|
    Core i5 2500K@4.4GHz, 1,300V|
    Corsair A70|ASUS P67 Sabertooth|Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty|
    Corsair Dominator DDR1600 4x4096MB@DDR3-1600@1.65V|Sapphire HD7970 3GB 1075/1475MHz|
    Corsair Force F120 120GB SSD SATA-II, WD Caviar Black 2x1TB SATA-II 32mb, Hitatchi 320GB SATA-II 16mb|Silverstone DA750 750w PSU|

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTU_XaVier
    I don't think the programmers have taken a fraction of the potential out of the X360 yet!

I would definitely agree with that!

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Want me to believe your hardware review? Show me a receipt

I agree that the 360 looks good, I think it will get better too, but by no means can it hang with a pc...
    Its built to do what it does and thats it, compared to a pc isnt even fair, wasnt this ps3 vs xbox?

as for that I will have to wait and see, I think microsoft has the edge here, but I havent really done my research too much, im just xbox fan, always have been..
    Join the XS WCG team and do your part to help save the world..
    ^^^Click here to start folding for the soon to be number one team in the world..^^^

Main rig: Gigabyte DS3/6300@3.2 7950 GX2/Server:Expert/165@2.9/PCI vid/Wifes:ASrock Dual SATA2/3800@2.4/X800XTAIW/Kids:165@2.7/X850XTPE

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
    -Emo Philips

Be very afraid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophy
    Its built to do what it does and thats it, compared to a pc isnt even fair, wasnt this ps3 vs xbox?
    well if this was a ps3 vs. xbox 360 comparison then the ps3 would win too. althpugh its hard to tell this early sony has hinted toward a form of sli and since they are probably going to be using the 7800 gpu then its going to be quite fast. and the cell processor completly owns ms 3 cores system it has. basically the cell gets its power from numbers not speed (sort of like how 6 1 ghz machines is faster than 3 2 ghz mamchines in a distributed processing system). basically the cell has 9 cores, 8 spe (side cores) and 1 ppe (main core) and the main core (which supports branch prediction) basically distributes proccesses out to all the side cores. since there are so many they don't need to be nearly as powerful as the xbox 360's cores and will out perform them. and please don't say that the spe cores mainly only do floating point calculations, this doesn't matter because if you understand how most games run then you understand that the majority of calculations are floating point, and the very few calculations that aren't the ppe core can handle fine. next about the cell is that it uses vmx vector instructions, sort of like mmx and sse it can speed up the processing on certain apps and certain types of processes. however the most intrigueing thing about the cell is the way it uses it's cache. instead of simply putting data there that it is processing at the time the cache on the cell can be used like ram and the programmer himself can specify its use. if done and used correctly this can also give a giant boost.
    there are many more reasons why the ps3 will be more powerful than the xbox 360 (and the pc's for a short amount of time) but i think the above is enough to get my point through.
    and don't get me wrong, i am an xbox fan (i understand that the xbox is more powerful than the gamecube and ps2) and that the xbox 360 is pretty powerful for a game console but from the facts the ps3 will more thanlikely out-do all in the tech area. however my main concern is going to be the price of the ps3, they're simply trying to pack too much new/expensive tech into one product that i fear the final price will be very large and will either hurt my wallet or will hurt sony financially (although will never kill them).
    Last edited by Jarrod1937; 03-03-2006 at 12:42 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Dude. IBM doesnt even know how to program the cell well yet. So dont expect games to be using all those cores usefully for ~2 years. the xbox 360's GPU is awsome it just limited by ram. Considering thr r600 is gonna be based off the r500
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Be very afraid...
    Dude. IBM doesnt even know how to program the cell well yet. So dont expect games to be using all those cores usefully for ~2 years. the xbox 360's GPU is awsome it just limited by ram. Considering thr r600 is gonna be based off the r500
    they don't know how to fully program for the cell because they don't have any hardware fully using it yet (except for the ps3 hardware which is still being developed). you would have to be a complete dumbass to think its going to take them 2+ years to be able to use all cores since to use all cores doesn't take anything new. have you heard of dual-core cpu's? they simply split up the the processing of multiple things into two different threads (like physics and AI) and then send them out to those seperate cores. the cell is no different in this aspect just a little more complicated, its going to be a slight change but it won't be that hard to use all cores. the thing they're probably having trouble with is figuring out how to program for some of the more advanced features like vmx (which is already used but not in thise many different cores) and the cache. i say by ps3 laucnh the devs will have a pretty good idea of how to use the cores but the performance won't be a 100% of what it is capable of, which will take some time (but no more than a year).
    and yes the xbox 360's gpu is fast... but ram limitation is a very big limitation...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    you guys need to read this article. more info about:

Just How Powerful Is It?

All Right... How Much?

Okay, So When?

What About Online Functionality?

What's With the HDD?

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager....d=3148332#p1.2

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Be very afraid...
    Quote Originally Posted by JAWS
    you guys need to read this article. more info about:

Just How Powerful Is It?

All Right... How Much?

Okay, So When?

What About Online Functionality?

What's With the HDD?

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager....d=3148332#p1.2
    yes, i've read the article already. its just that the specs don't lie. and thats also why i said "although its hard to tell this early". but from what i've heard the ps3 is very promising, and i've heard this from a developers who has a dev kit.
    but again we can't really compare anything untill the ps3 is released.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Sony CEO Howard Stringer confirms suspicions that the PlayStation 3 won't be released until the holiday season 2006 in an interview in Variety magazine. That would make it the last next-gen console to debut.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...8&cs=1&s=h&p=0

check out "XS REVIEWS"

The xbox will still be king in my book no matter what the others do.
    My pc is uhh well lets say it is my dad's pc after he let the blue smoke out.

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u-JR
    The xbox will still be king in my book no matter what the others do.

AGREED...
    Join the XS WCG team and do your part to help save the world..
    ^^^Click here to start folding for the soon to be number one team in the world..^^^

Main rig: Gigabyte DS3/6300@3.2 7950 GX2/Server:Expert/165@2.9/PCI vid/Wifes:ASrock Dual SATA2/3800@2.4/X800XTAIW/Kids:165@2.7/X850XTPE

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
    -Emo Philips

Banned
    ?Heres the thing, a xbox is a pc, sonys ps2 is a propritary pos,

i somehow thing MS is going o launch windows for 360 if it starts to due down and that will skyrocket salesof 360s, propritaey keypards, controllers, mice,hdds,

see my point here

Quote Originally Posted by join nbk
    ?Heres the thing, a xbox is a pc, sonys ps2 is a propritary pos,

i somehow thing MS is going o launch windows for 360 if it starts to due down and that will skyrocket salesof 360s, propritaey keypards, controllers, mice,hdds,

see my point here
    I agree, if there is a company that can take over the console market it is Microsoft. Too much clout and cash for anyone to beat.

Everything will be a "PC" except the hand helds before too long anyway.

PS3 wont kill Sony. Sony has released TONS of products that absolutley fall on their face and will continue to do so as long as they exist.

The PS3 wont be one of these such producs though. If the PS2 is gonna cost 900 to make like Myril Lynch thinks, they sony wont sell it until the price of the components falls to an acceptable level.. period. they wont do something to catastrophic as to destroy the company.

With all of that said, by the release of the console after generation I believe MS will have the console market firmly grasped in their hands and Sony will be a distant second. As of now that seems highly unlikely, but MS products are easier to code for, Ms is easier to work with/for (its shocking i know.. but true), more user friendly, and is willing to throw more money at the console market than sony is willing to dream of. MS's biggest problem is the games. Right now Sony has the best games, but with MS strategy of not raping the developers and providing them with EXCELENT development tools (sony has crap for development tools), they will slowly win over alot of game developers. Their easy to use tools are key to this strategy as Sony is all about OpenGL, which is a whole different game from the DirectX/D3D world of MS.

As of now, MS is running at a loss on the whole console gaming market, but you dont see them slowing down. they are in it for the long term, and that thinking will lead them to victory in the Console market.

[/rant]
    Last edited by MaxxxRacer; 03-13-2006 at 05:30 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer
    PS3 wont kill Sony. Sony has released TONS of products that absolutley fall on their face and will continue to do so as long as they exist.

The PS3 wont be one of these such producs though. If the PS2 is gonna cost 900 to make like Myril Lynch thinks, they sony wont sell it until the price of the components falls to an acceptable level.. period. they wont do something to catastrophic as to destroy the company.

With all of that said, by the release of the console after generation I believe MS will have the console market firmly grasped in their hands and Sony will be a distant second. As of now that seems highly unlikely, but MS products are easier to code for, Ms is easier to work with/for (its shocking i know.. but true), more user friendly, and is willing to throw more money at the console market than sony is willing to dream of. MS's biggest problem is the games. Right now Sony has the best games, but with MS strategy of not raping the developers and providing them with EXCELENT development tools (sony has crap for development tools), they will slowly win over alot of game developers. Their easy to use tools are key to this strategy as Sony is all about OpenGL, which is a whole different game from the DirectX/D3D world of MS.

As of now, MS is running at a loss on the whole console gaming market, but you dont see them slowing down. they are in it for the long term, and that thinking will lead them to victory in the Console market.

[/rant]

While i know with the GTA series, thare is definitely a huge gain thare. but i i am not right, i remember reading that San Andreas was the last game that was under the sony exclusive contract. If MS was to go ahead and get Rockstars Exclusive GTA contract, every XBOX 360 would be sold out when GTA 6 comes out.

Do any of you guys remember when the halo series came out, xbox sales slyrocked something like 200 precent in a half year. Just keep that in mind.

If MS gets GTA, sony is screwed, becuase sony only has Gran Turismo, but XBOX has halo, GTA, and forza to fill the need for the GT fans. Forza 2 should give GT5 a major run for its money.

They have the resources to take over for sure.

I think it is al about game avialabilty. MS should pay the money and lock in the good games if they are smart.

Banned
    I apologize for the double post, but i just realized something

blu ray is already a consumer product in japan. I think sony may go be a japan exclusive, becuase the US is based off of microsoft more than sony. If you look in japan, you will find stacks of 360s due to japan supporting only japans industry

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast