Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 4 Ghz!!!..........

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by bachus_anonym
    I mean, it's -12C in BIOS @ 3.2-3.3GHz 1.63v. With this 146 I have here it used to be -16C (BIOS, IHS On) and now -22C (BIOS, IHS Off, 1.72v, 3.6GHz). My SD 3700+ sat @ -19C (BIOS, IHS ON, 1.80v, 3.4GHz).
    I will be glad to test that for ya the moment I find that 154 in the mail
    I remember Reggie posting a diagram showing where exactly the probe is placed in my cooler's case. As far as I remember it's about 5-10mm above the face of the evap, as close to the middle as it was possible... I'm gonna ask him again, though.

But I thought you said and showed us that removing IHS helped you?
    No, in fact , removing the IHS made things WORSE. Read a few posts back about me needing a "cold-plate" to distribute the heat better. The naked core was basically overloading my evap. My temps were ~15-20C WORSE without a medium between the core and the face of the evap. Reggie mounts his probes on the side of the evaporators ~1/4 of the way up from the face. For me, it's tough to tell temps using that probe, so I always insert a probe into the socket area touching the ihs of the cpu (obviously when it's still on). OK, let's do the comparison thing then :

FX57 @ 1.74V - Bios temps @ -30 - -35C
    Venice 3200+ @ 1.94V - Bios temps @ -25 - -28C
    Opty 154 @ 1.71V - Bios temps @ -18 - -25C

Phenom™
    Because I'm 100% sure that his 150 was even hotter than your 154
    There's no way in hell that could be true. My LOADED temps on a FX57 @ 1.71 - 1.74V is read my MBM @ -30C. The day your single stage could do that is the day I believe you. You have NO IDEA what kind of capacity this autocascade has and until you do, I'm sure you won't believe me.....
    Edit: Now that I think about it, I'm wrong about the -30C...it's more like -28C..sorry....
    Last edited by s7e9h3n; 02-13-2006 at 08:28 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Haha... I think there is no point to this argument The only way to find out if your 154 is exceptionally hotter than anything else around, is to put it to test on something else than your auto-cascade
    Let me know when you get bored with this 154 so we could do a little swap, just for fun of testing - your 154 for my 146 or 3700+ Isn't that a hell of a deal?

In addition to my screenies from post #144, I just run 15mins SmallFFT w/ 146 @ 3500MHz, 1.76v CPU-Z (1.78v DMM)
    MBM @ -6C and stays between -7C and -5C
    EVAP @ -40.5C LOAD
    BIOS (quick RESET by pushing RESET button, SP2004 not stopped, 7s from SP2004 LOAD) @ -14C
    -----
    BIOS (after stabilizing) @ -18C
    BIOS EVAP @ -44C

Now I wonder what temps I would be getting with that 154 of yours, in exactly same conditions... But just for kicks, can you run it on your cascade in a same way and tell me all the data I gave you, please? Thanks
    Last edited by bachus_anonym; 02-13-2006 at 09:00 PM.

Hiding from the cops and people I ripped off
    Bachus I think that 154 is ALOT hotter than my 150 was but you never know. You would prolly see like +20

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by njkid32
    Bachus I think that 154 is ALOT hotter than my 150 was but you never know. You would prolly see like +20
    I'm not saying it can't be... It might be but like you said - you never know. What I'm saying is that there is just no way that I this chip will bring single-stage down on it's knees and let it cry over positive evap temps. But again, there is no other way to see than actually test it on a single stage... I have no problem being a guinea pig for that test, though Just say a word, Steven
    Also, is there someone here than can explain why would Opteron 154 be hotter than e.g. 150 @ 2800MHz, no IHS (so we can eliminate crappy TIM or bad contact) and under exactly same cooling conditions. I just don't believe any physical/design differences between cores of 146 OCed @ 2.8GHz and 154. Anyone would like to try to explain that?
    Last edited by bachus_anonym; 02-13-2006 at 09:22 PM.

Phenom™
    I'm not saying it can't be... It might be but like you said - you never know. What I'm saying is that there is just no way that I this chip will bring single-stage down on it's knees and let it cry over positive evap temps. But again, there is no other way to see than actually test it on a single stage... I have no problem being a guinea pig for that test, though Just say a word, Steven
    Also, is there someone here than can explain why would Opteron 154 be hotter than e.g. 150 @ 2800MHz, no IHS (so we can eliminate crappy TIM or bad contact) and under exactly same cooling conditions. I just don't believe any physical/design differences between cores of 146 OCed @ 2.8GHz and 154. Anyone would like to try to explain that?
    It's not a difference in design - it's a difference in silicon. I do have a single stage I can test on eventually - it's a mach2. But that's at Reggie's house. I also can try out my Baker Gpu cooler on the cpu for kicks, but that's a 1hp Rotary Single stage which is most likely comparable to some of the strongest single stagers every built. Here's what the evap does on that unit:

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by s7e9h3n
    It's not a difference in design - it's a difference in silicon.
    But just think about it for a sec...

If there's no difference in temps between SD 3700+ @ 2.8GHz and FX-57 @ 2.8GHz (which are identical cores, 1MB L2, etc) then why would 154 @ 2.8GHz be hottter than 3700+ @ 2.8GHz or 146 @ 2.8GHz??? We're talking "normal" chips, not some hot-a$$ samples If there's anyone that can explain that from the technical point of view and info he provides cannot be questioned then I will give up to the claim that Opterons 154 are way hotter than Opteron 146-152 OCed to 2.8GHz
    Last edited by bachus_anonym; 02-13-2006 at 09:56 PM.

Admin
    IDK why either...but I gotta say, clock for clock, volt for volt, my 146 was just as hot as my 4400+....these Opties get hot for sure. As for why the 154 is even hotter than the rest of the Opties....I imagine there's some internal differences for additional stability. A pin-to-pin resistance comparo *might* lead to some clues, albeit tedious.

How a 'San Diego' core could dump out 175W+ is interesting, almost like the true San Diegos are tweaked down to acheive stability through lower temperature stress while the top-end Opties are tweaked for stability via just keeping all the electron flow in check and keeping 'resistance' high, knowing that the heat will be handled.

That's just my take on *why*, I flatly don't know the answer for the *how* they're so much hotter.

EDIT: was I speaking English before? jeeze, that made no sense
    Last edited by Vapor; 02-13-2006 at 10:56 PM.

Phenom™
    But just think about it for a sec...

If there's no difference in temps between SD 3700+ @ 2.8GHz and FX-57 @ 2.8GHz (which are identical cores, 1MB L2, etc) then why would 154 @ 2.8GHz be hottter than 3700+ @ 2.8GHz or 146 @ 2.8GHz??? We're talking "normal" chips, not some hot-a$$ samples If there's anyone that can explain that from the technical point of view and info he provides cannot be questioned then I will give up to the claim that Opterons 154 are way hotter than Opteron 146-152 OCed to 2.8GHz
    I'm not sure just what you're trying to say? Clockspeed is not the major factor which dictates core temps. It's the silicon and vcore BTW, where did you get the info that a SD 3700+ @ 2.8 is the same temp as an FX57 @ 2.8? Unless you can do 2.8 @ default vcore with the 3700+, that would be quite difficult to imagine....

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I'm not sure just what you're trying to say? Clockspeed is not the major factor which dictates core temps. It's the silicon and vcore
    I was talking about 2.8Ghz and same voltage in all those instances, say 1.35-1.40v...
    But I think there's no point in further discussion. None of us can really proof his point because I don't think we have enough technical knowledge (at least I don't) that would explain potential 10-15C differences between chips. If one might think that better silicon gives better/cooler chip then why 154 (which should be superior quality silicon) would be so hot?
    But like I said, we would have to drag an AMD engineer here and give us a lecture

Phenom™
    I was talking about 2.8Ghz and same voltage in all those instances, say 1.35-1.40v...
    But I think there's no point in further discussion. None of us can really proof his point because I don't think we have enough technical knowledge (at least I don't) that would explain potential 10-15C differences between chips. If one might think that better silicon gives better/cooler chip then why 154 (which should be superior quality silicon) would be so hot?
    But like I said, we would have to drag an AMD engineer here and give us a lecture
    I forgot to mention one thing though. I've had a talk with my AMD guy about something similar to this topic in the past. I had mentioned the fact that FX cpu's seem to run a little hotter than the normal San Diego core cpu's. What he told me was quite interesting: FX's share a similar memory controller architecture as the Opterons. This is evidenced by examining where the FX line of cpu's evolved from. Remember what the first FX cpu was? It was a s940 FX51. Yup, it was basically an OPTERON with an unlocked multiplier. As interest grew in these FX's, AMD decided to move the cpu to the 939 platform where consumers would more easily have access to this "enthusiast" cpu. So the s939 FX's were born - San Diego cored cpu's with an Opteron's memory controller. He was saying something about (as Vapor mentioned) how the Opties tend to run a little hotter than the regular A64's due to their memory controllers. I don't recall him saying why they were hotter, just that they were. I'll give him a call tommorow and see what I can dig up, but I'm almost positive that a cpu's heat output is VERY much dictated by the silicon which it's built upon.......and in this case it seems as if the 0522's were exceptionally warm cpu's (and MikeGuava seems to agree)......

Xtreme Mentor
    Steven,

I think AFI is right... It's clearly impossible to see positive temps on an evap provided cooler is working properly... Positive in MBM, yeah... In BIOS - maaybe...
    Before that 146, I had a chance to play with Eric's Opteron 150. It was THE hottest thing I ever, ever played with! SmallFFT would load it to 15C in MBM @ 3.2Ghz 1.62v!!! . BIOS temps at the same time were -12C!!! I re-mounted the head like 3 times because I could not believe my eyes Yet, evap stayed at -39C LOAD (during that SmallFFT "challenge"). This is when you know, that IHS is a major limiting factor. But not all Opterons are like that and I think that it's just a far generalization that Opterons are somehow hotter... Remove the IHS off of any of those "hot chips" and you'll see temps drop drastically.
    My 146 ("very warm" with IHS) without IHS is like 10C cooler than my 3700+ was (with IHS but it was a "cool/cold")...
    That 150 is a hot mofo. My 148 is almost that hot, priming at like 3.35 with 1.63 volts, got to +14c.

I put the 148 on air with my ACFreezer64 Pro, 1.6 volts, started Sp2004, temps shot INSTANTLY to 60C, it scared the crap out of me.

All i can say from my Opteron testing (i've been a venice guy) is that they run SO hot. I know my venices didn't load at 52c on stock volts/stock cooling.
    Intel Rig
    2500K @ 4.8 Ghz 1.304v | ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3| 2x4Gb Ripjaws DDR3-2133 | Radeon 7970 @ 1250/1800 | Corsair HX850 PSU
    Custom Water of course

Xtreme Member
    thats a nice opty u have there
    AMD X2 3800+ 0601 TPMW | DFI Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert |
    Point of View 7800GT
    | 2x1GB G.Skill HZ | Tagen TG480W-U01 |
    Seagate 120GB
    | Aerocool T3 *25cm Fan* | Sennheiser PC160 |

Phenom™
    It Benches in 3D as well This is just a "warm-up" run - untweaked and unoptimized :

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4621125

"I eat motherboards"
    Damn Steve, thats really flippin nice!

What were the cardclocks for that run, and voltages?
    杰森
    I can picture in my mind a world without hate, a world without violence.
    And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonDTM
    Damn Steve, thats really flippin nice!

What were the cardclocks for that run, and voltages?
    Ummmm....you don't see them ? 789/690 @ -59C. 1.72Vgpu, 2.4VDD+VDDQ. BTW...I owe you a run....I'l try to get it done later

Xtreme Legend
    Already putting the GPU cooler to good use. Very nice. And a belated congrats on 4GHz.

Hiding from the cops and people I ripped off
    Verrrry nice Stephen!!

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra_bound
    Already putting the GPU cooler to good use. Very nice. And a belated congrats on 4GHz.
    Thanks my friend - a big thanks to you for the Baker unit! It's kinda funny - my probe on the evap read -51 when I booted, but ATI tool was reading -59C on the card There definately more left in the card and the cpu.....

"I eat motherboards"
    ^^^ lol I'm blind as a bat, and with my clocks in 01 and higher mem speed I think 33k to 34k is probably feasable.
    杰森
    I can picture in my mind a world without hate, a world without violence.
    And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonDTM
    ^^^ lol I'm blind as a bat, and with my clocks in 01 and higher mem speed I think 33k to 34k is probably feasable.
    PM me again as to what exactly you wanted me to run....I'll do that when I attempt to get an 01 score maybe today or tomorrow.....

Xtreme Addict
    Nice 03 score with the X850 XTPE. Good to see you doing some 3D Markin'. We know that you have the CPU's to do it

Good luck pushing some more in 03 and attempting to get some 01 scores.

Oh btw, Im coming back into overclocking etc. Gunner get my self a good strong single phaser. I want the 3800+ Venice back :p What a brilliant cpu you sold me I need to try to buy it back Do some 'non' Opty overclocking... hehehe...

Awesome scores s7e9h3n !!! Congrats from Poland

And, of course, keep OCing
    ...currently under construction...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    It Benches in 3D as well This is just a "warm-up" run - untweaked and unoptimized :
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4621125
    Last night I was about to ask you If anything more you were cooking with this 154
    Very nice 1st shot at 3DM01 with that Opty

Phenom™
    Last night I was about to ask you If anything more you were cooking with this 154
    Very nice 1st shot at 3DM01 with that Opty
    Lol...that was 3d03 This is 3d01...we'll see how long this stays at the top of the Orb before k|ngp|n posts his backups This was a test run anyways - no tweaks - just a straight run-through:

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast