Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: raptor or raid0 ?

Xtreme Addict

raptor or raid0 ?

im not sure what to do. should i get a 74gig raptor or raid0 with 2x80gig hitachi sataII drives ? i will have another large hdd for backing up stuff so thats not an issue.

how much of a difference in random access times do you guys see between a raptor and raid0?
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Guru
    In my opinion a raid 0 config would be a better solution than any single drive.
    U can raid 2 36.7 raptors for nearly the price of a single 74gb one and better performance than the hitachi config.
    Last edited by JoeBar; 02-05-2006 at 03:46 AM.
    Project ZEUS II

Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 D0 3930A @ 4.50GHz (21 X 214mhz)
    3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident 1600 @ 1716MHz (6-8-6-20-1N)
    2 x Asus HD 6870 CrossFire @ 1000/1100MHz
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Intel X25-M 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1.5TB esata
    Asus Xonar DX | Logitech Z-5500 | LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS LCD

Watercooling setup:
    1st loop -> Radiator: 2 x ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.25 with Alphacool HF 38 top | CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT | Chipset: Swiftech MCW-NBMAX | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV
    2nd loop -> Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.2 with Alphacool HF 38 top | GPU: 2 x EK FC-6870 | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV

Assembled in Mountain Mods Ascension Trinity
    Powered by Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBar
    U can raid 2 36.7 raptors for nearly the price of a single 74gb one and better performance than the hitachi config.
    That's it. Coudn't agree more.

i agree i have 2 36gig raptors in RAID0, best setup i have ever had!!

Xtreme Relic
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBar

Yep, JoeBar is right on the $.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson (1939 - 2005)

Xtreme Addict
    the lowest price for a 36gig raptor ive seen is ~100$ and a 74gig raptor is ~150$ ....

i am thinking if i should get 3x80 hitachi sataII drives in raid0 and 1 200gig or more backup drive
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Member
    a raid 0 configuration puts more strain on the cpu, i would go for a single raptor!

edit: nevermind!go for raid 0
    Last edited by aja; 02-07-2006 at 06:31 AM.
    celery D 326 2.53gHz 256kb @ 3.6
    4x 256mb ddr2 533MHz corsair value ram
    gigabyte 8I945G mobo, bios F5
    seagate 160 gig sata
    gigabyte 6600gt 128mb (600/1300)
    XP 64bit

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by aja
    a raid 0 configuration puts more strain on the cpu, i would go for a single raptor!
    Dude I would like to see where you heard that bull

Raid0 all the way..(maybe a nice Controller card while your at it)
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step

I tried both.
    Raid 0 is the way to go.

Xtreme Addict
    I am curious about this too, for those who have used it. How much of a difference can you see between a single sata 7200rpm HD vs say a raid 0 w/ 2 raptor sata drives? I was thinking maybe loading maps in BF2 I would notice a difference, boot up and shut down times. any thing else? and how much of an improvement too, its an expensive upgrade for minimal results I think.
    Current Setup:
    -9850 GX2's in Quad SLI config
    -Asus P5N32-SLI MB
    -2x512mb of PC2-5300 DDR2
    -Intel Celeron D OC'd to 3.2Ghz
    -Windows Me with XP theme
    -WD Caviar 20GB Hard Drive
    -Zip drive
    -Jazz drive
    -3.5" floppy drive
    -5.25" floppy drive

Xtreme Member

sorry!
    I miss-qouted someone, a quad zeon server guy said something about putting strain on the available chipset bandwidth, thereby denying some bandwidth to the cpu, making it work under greater pressure, or something like that....

I dont know....

celery D 326 2.53gHz 256kb @ 3.6
    4x 256mb ddr2 533MHz corsair value ram
    gigabyte 8I945G mobo, bios F5
    seagate 160 gig sata
    gigabyte 6600gt 128mb (600/1300)
    XP 64bit

YouTube Addict
    Might I suggest you edit your first post so that people don't actually pay attention to that bull.. Thank you
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.

Xtreme Addict
    if it did strain it, which i also dont think that it does, then i think my opteron 170 would definetly be able to handle it

so i guess you all agree to getting raid? 3x80gig hitachi sataII

Xtreme Recruit
    I thought everyone was agreeing to RAID the 36gb raptors

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ripken204
    if it did strain it, which i also dont think that it does, then i think my opteron 170 would definetly be able to handle it

so i guess you all agree to getting raid? 3x80gig hitachi sataII
    Sounds good to me.. any three 7.2K drives in Raid0 will beat any 10k drive not raided

Xtreme Member
    I'll choose raptor 74GB, random access time is much lower. Game loading time is less. If you can, 2 raptor raid0 is best. I tried 2 74gb raptor raid0, couldn't feel difference with sigle 74gb raptor.
    Dothan 730@2.55Ghz (11x232 1.45v)
    P4p800-SE
    2x512MB DDR500
    Ti4200
    74GB Raptor, 147GB Maxtor SCSI with 39160, 160GB SATA NCQ, 2x160GB IDE

XS News
    102$ gets you 250gb wd sata II 16mb cache off of ZZF.
    i7-3820
    SB Z
    16GB 2200
    GTX690
    1KW Lazer

Xtreme Addict
    Don't mean to steal the thread but I have a question too. Currently I'm using 4 36.7GB raptors on raid=0. I also have 2 15K 36.7gb Hitachi SCSI drives with 16mb cache and LSI scsi 320 controller. Which setup would be faster?

YouTube Addict
    well the Deskstars have a 3.3ms write/Read time when raid0 should be something close to 1.65ms
    on the other hand the Raptors have a 5.2ms write/read time when in raid0 should be something close to 1.3ms
    which is a theoretical difference of just 0.35ms and the bandwidth comparison has everything to do with how they are hooked up.. Ultimately I would go for the SCSI because I find it easier to maintain and use but for the normal the differences would be marginally different and vary per their tastes
    Last edited by nn_step; 02-10-2006 at 03:44 PM.

access time confusion?

Hi all. lurking here for long time.

well the Deskstars have a 3.3ms access time when raid0 should be something close to 1.65ms
    on the other hand the Raptors have a 5.2ms access time when in raid0 should be something close to 1.3ms...
    Could you please explain your logic behind above comments? It may be that i just misunderstood you but if you really suggesting access time is getting significantly better by RAIDing drives then it is imho rather big misconception which should not be left uncorrected in forum of as good reputation as this one.
    Afaik for typical application/hardware combinations access time is (just slightly) worser in RAID0 then for single drive of given type. Either that or my knowledge regarding hdd/raid issues is non existing

Cheers.

I'm about raid0'ing raptor 150gbs, just ordered them.
    I hope it rocks otherwise I'll bite myself and throw away my creditcard.
    -Twin-
    CoolerMaster Centurion 532 Chassi
    FSP 700W
    DFI Expert
    AMD FX-60 + TT BT Air Cooling
    2x1024 Corsair 4000PT (Gaming sticks)
    2x WD Raptor 150GB in raid0
    POV 7800GT (ordered 2x eVGA N7900GTX CO Copper Version, and it is taking time.. :-( )

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kozietulski
    Hi all. lurking here for long time.
    Could you please explain your logic behind above comments? It may be that i just misunderstood you but if you really suggesting access time is getting significantly better by RAIDing drives then it is imho rather big misconception which should not be left uncorrected in forum of as good reputation as this one.
    Afaik for typical application/hardware combinations access time is (just slightly) worser in RAID0 then for single drive of given type. Either that or my knowledge regarding hdd/raid issues is non existing

Cheers.
    You might be right about Access time.. but then again Access latency doesn't mean anything when are talking about write/Read latency (time it takes to write/read something to the drive) which cuts in half if you double the number of Read/Write heads.. Which also is a function of bandwidth.. which Adds as you add drives in Raid0.. Meh I'll fix original post...

Xtreme Member
    You might be right about Access time.. but then again Access latency doesn't mean anything when are talking about write/Read latency (time it takes to write/read something to the drive) which cuts in half if you double the number of Read/Write heads.. Which also is a function of bandwidth.. which Adds as you add drives in Raid0.. Meh I'll fix original post...
    The number of read/write heads has a negible effect on read/write latency. Doubling the number of read/write heads won't cut the access latency in half, otherwise there would be a noticeable difference between a single platter 7k250 and a 5 platter 7k500 in access latency, which there is pretty much none. The 7k500 does have a slightly higher sequential sustained transfer rate, but that doesn't affect how quickly the drive can begin a read or write. For the most part, HDD latency is only affected by the rotational speed, which in turn has a significant part in how quickly the actuator arm can get into position. In a RAID array, the access latency will be nearly identical as when they configured as a single drive.

In a typical single user, low I/O queue depth system, RAID 0 only gives a performance increase in sequential sustained transfer rates, not access latency. A single user system simply doesn't have a high enough I/O queue depth to take advantage of a RAID 0 array.

You're almost always better off using a single Raptor X/150 than two 74GB Raptor in RAID 0 as you get similar performance without doubling the risk of drive failure while remaining at nearly the same cost.
    Last edited by Adamantine; 02-19-2006 at 02:34 AM.
    Cosmos S | Corsair HX1000 | Core i7 920 | DFI X58 | 12GB Super Talent DDR3 1333 Samsung HCH9 | 3x HIS Radeon HD7970 IceQ 2 | VelociRaptor 300GB | BD-RW

TFC360 | HeatKiller 3.0 CPU w/ Koolance Backplate | 2xPMP450S | Koolance 450x2 dual bay res | Swiftech MCR220 + MCR220 Stack | 3x Heatkiller HD7970 Waterblocks | Enzotech NB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Anyone care to post screens as proof that 2x36gb raptors are quicker? Fine, I will.

First pic is the 2x80gb Hitachis... 300+mb/s
    Second is 2x36gb raptors.. a measly 190mb/s
    Third is 3x80gb hitachis.....
    Fourth is 4x80gb hitachis....

Now tell me... which is better for a game? Burst speed or average read?

This is all coming from myself who once owned a pair of 36gb Raptors. I now own 3x80gb Hitachis... you couldn't even pay me to use the newest Raptors over what I already have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slidr_2x3gbs_raid0-2.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	43683   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slidr-7.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	43684   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3x80 in raid.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	43685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raid 0 4x80 hitachi.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	43686  
    Last edited by DriveEuro; 02-19-2006 at 10:29 AM.
    Currently building my i7 920 rig
    i7 920 - Gigabyte x58-UD3R - 6GB Corsair DDR 1600
    GTX285 - Intel X25-M + 1.2TB - Watercooled

Ironiclly, overclockers had a story on this just a couple days ago.

OC Article with screenshots on the details this person received on trying out both options.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast