Thread: 2nd PSU controller

Steak for Breakfast

2nd PSU controller

Alright, I made a face plate with some switches, LEDs

and some pulled comp parts XD

and I made this diagram... (don't laugh lol I don't know anything about electronics)

Alright, the LED with 3 legs are those dual color LEDs.

and the uber bright one

I want to make a PSU controller for my 2nd PSU, it'll have:
    power standby LED indicator
    power on LED
    12v/5v flip switch for 120mm case fan (LED goes green when 12v, yellow when 5v)

wondering:
    how do you hook up a 3 leg LED to a pump, so when the pump stops working, it turns from green to red?

Experts please correct the diagram if it's wrong, lol...
    Last edited by Thrilla; 01-28-2006 at 12:02 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Very Nice, might want to put a resistor before the led.
    Does anyone know where i can get bananas like this the only ones I can get don't dance and go black after a few weeks

Steak for Breakfast
    Made the LED and fans parallel, so I can put a resistor before the LED without dropping the voltage for that fan.

Btw this reminds me of my power bar...

* note how the 1mm LED is connect directly to the 115vAC line... i'm confused... I thought LEDs blow up at 6-9vDC...

Steak for Breakfast
    bump...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla
    wondering:
    how do you hook up a 3 leg LED to a pump, so when the pump stops working, it turns from green to red?
    The easiest way is probably by making a flow switch like this
    **EDIT** Additional Emergency Shut-Down System.

* note how the 1mm LED is connect directly to the 115vAC line... i'm confused... I thought LEDs blow up at 6-9vDC...
    Inside the tubing there's most likely a resistor and a diode, also a LED can blow up at a much lower voltage.

Then how should I hook up the dual color LEDs so it indicates the fan voltage without interference??
    Like this?:
    Last edited by KILLorBE; 01-29-2006 at 04:31 AM.
    DFI nF3 Ultra-D - 3000+ Venice @ 300x9 - 2x512MB OCZ Value - Asus 6800 @ 16x1,6 - 80GB Hitachi 7K80 - PVR 150MCE - Tagan TG480-U22 2Force
    Abit ST6 - Tualeron 1.2 @ 1.6 or 1.0A @ 1693 (168FSB) - 2x 256MB MDT PC150 - Sparkle 235W - 80GB Maxtor - V8420S @ 335/705+ - 2K1 = 11485 - 2K3 = 1610
    Asus P5A - K6-III 400 - 128MB Mushkin PC150 Rev.3+ - Asus V3800 Ultra Deluxe or Asus V7100 - 2x 12MB Voodoo II - 40GB Hitachi - Q-Tec 550W

I'm NOT watching pr0n, I'm studying anatomy

Steak for Breakfast
    KILLorBE the one you drew is still a paralell.
    All those wires still goes back to the PSU, joins the fan.

How about putting a resistor and LED AFTER the fan?

Xtreme Mentor
    In general, LEDs could care less what voltage is present. A LED will have whats called a "turn on voltage". This obviously is the voltage required to turn the thing on.

Now, what makes a LED brighter is the inline current (typically an increase in circuit voltage). Once the LED turns on it will hold a specific voltage across its nodes. As long as there are other components available to drop the additional voltage in the circuit, the LED is safe regardless of voltage levels.

Thats why crodan recommended you add a resistor. All the current/voltage is dropping across the LED. This will cause failure in short order if voltage increases past the LED tolerance.

Do not put the LED and Fans in parallel. If you do, the voltage across the fans will only be equal to whatever the turn on voltage of the LED is...regardless of increased inline voltage.

I like my women the way I like my processors...naked.
    I am not the HellFire that writes bios files. I work strictly on voltage modifications.

Steak for Breakfast
    thanks for the info on LEDs

Then how should I hook up the dual color LEDs so it indicates the fan voltage without interference??

Xtreme Member
    KILLorBE the one you drew is still a paralell.
    All those wires still goes back to the PSU, joins the fan.
    Believe me it'll work.

How about putting a resistor and LED AFTER the fan?
    That would be in series, and that sure isn't going to work.
    DFI nF3 Ultra-D - 3000+ Venice @ 300x9 - 2x512MB OCZ Value - Asus 6800 @ 16x1,6 - 80GB Hitachi 7K80 - PVR 150MCE - Tagan TG480-U22 2Force
    Abit ST6 - Tualeron 1.2 @ 1.6 or 1.0A @ 1693 (168FSB) - 2x 256MB MDT PC150 - Sparkle 235W - 80GB Maxtor - V8420S @ 335/705+ - 2K1 = 11485 - 2K3 = 1610
    Asus P5A - K6-III 400 - 128MB Mushkin PC150 Rev.3+ - Asus V3800 Ultra Deluxe or Asus V7100 - 2x 12MB Voodoo II - 40GB Hitachi - Q-Tec 550W

I'm NOT watching pr0n, I'm studying anatomy

Xtreme Mentor
    You will need to setup a parallel connection to your fan output with a series connected resitor+led.

When things run in parallel they will always have the same voltage applied across their terminals. So, if the input voltage were say 6V, then 6V is applied to your LED+Resistor connection and also to your fan output. This type of setup makes sure that regardless of whether your LED is on, you will always get output voltage to your fans that is equal to the input voltage. I cant quite tell from your pic, but it looks like you are close to that very thing.

My other post is a little misleading....well, sorta. You can have say a resistor in parallel with a resistive element. When that happens, the other element will always have the LEDs turn on voltage across it regardless of what the input voltage is. This is a good way to setup say a voltage divider that keeps someone from applying to much voltage to something.

I like my women the way I like my processors...naked.
    I am not the HellFire that writes bios files. I work strictly on voltage modifications.