Thread: Installing Rosetta without admin rights

OC Jedi (on stand-by)

Installing Rosetta without admin rights

I had some thoughts about installing BIONC without admin rights, so I copied the whole BOINC folder to another PC and started the Boinc manager. I canceld all work, so that it doesnt calculate the results twice and that it downloads new work. That also worked like it should.
    After that I had a look at my account, at my computers.
    The "unknown AMD" disappeard and the Duron I copied the folder too, is listed instead with the credits of my mobile.
    After that I thought, you just have to make a fresh install on a pc with admin rights and after that copy the whole folder to a pc without admin rights to make it work.

But somehow I wanted to run Boink on the mobile again to see if I can "take over" the points again. So I shut the Duron down and started BOINC on the mobile again. After doing so I have now the unknown AMD and the Duron listed in "my computers" with different computer id's. The Duron still has the points of the mobile, but thats not important.

So I take it that all you have to do to get BOINC working on a pc without admin rights is to copy a existing boinc folder, cancel the work , update, et voila its running?
    Or if you want to keep the points install BOINC into a new folder and copy the whole thing to another pc?
    Can anyone confirm this?
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

^^Not dead!!^^
    That should work just fine. You can merge the computers on your account so you don't have any dead clients.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Really helpfull this information.

I wasn't able to install boinc on my work PC because of admin rights, but now I just copied the BOINC folder to some folder I had access to. BOINC was able to run, and it's computer name is linked to it's results.

It's only a 600MHz P!!!, but hey, every cruncher is welcome

Holy thread revival. And look... its Rod 2 posts up ...