Thread: Kingston HyperX T1 ram help

Xtreme Member

Thumbs down Kingston HyperX T1 ram help

I have the 6gig Tri channel kit that runs 8-8-8-24 1n. And i'm not sure what the deal is but i cannot complete super-pi 32meg and most of the time 16meg super-pi.

Running these on a asus rampage 2 extreme. So perhaps it is a setting i'm over looking. Tried to let asus do it default 1333 and i get a round error, tried both x.m.p settings and it just crashes at random points. Checked all my settings to make sure they was at spec as the x.m.p likes to do a little over volting.

Thought is was a sp2 issues with vista ultimate 64 bit, posted in the super-pi thread. Tried all the fixes still crashed. Removed sp2 and still yield the same results.

Ran memtest86+ for about 4 hours and no errors was found. So i'm at a point now where i'm running out of things to try here. Hopefully someone has this board and the ram and can give me some settings i can try. And running the same os as that could just be the issue, but i really don't feel like running xp to check to see if it is a vista issue.

Good Day

Xtreme Addict
    You probably need to up VTT. AFAIK memtest86 doesn't stress the IMC at all.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the reply i will go look and see what mine is set on. And up it a little and test it out.

Good Day

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by KILLER_K View Post
    I have the 6gig Tri channel kit that runs 8-8-8-24 1n. And i'm not sure what the deal is but i cannot complete super-pi 32meg and most of the time 16meg super-pi.

Running these on a asus rampage 2 extreme. So perhaps it is a setting i'm over looking. Tried to let asus do it default 1333 and i get a round error, tried both x.m.p settings and it just crashes at random points. Checked all my settings to make sure they was at spec as the x.m.p likes to do a little over volting.

Thought is was a sp2 issues with vista ultimate 64 bit, posted in the super-pi thread. Tried all the fixes still crashed. Removed sp2 and still yield the same results.

Ran memtest86+ for about 4 hours and no errors was found. So i'm at a point now where i'm running out of things to try here. Hopefully someone has this board and the ram and can give me some settings i can try. And running the same os as that could just be the issue, but i really don't feel like running xp to check to see if it is a vista issue.

Good Day
    As I said on the Asus Forum where I am a Moderator,

Volts, volts, volts, Up them and ram them through your components.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Quote Originally Posted by faster3200 View Post
    You probably need to up VTT. AFAIK memtest86 doesn't stress the IMC at all.
    It does in its own special way. I can Memtest RAM MHz to higher levels at low BCLK, so theres an awkward load being placed on the IMC one way or another
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Member
    I haven't posted any questions at the asus forum though.

Though i did remember you saying this though
    Author: Kensek Posted: 6/3/2009 6:40:00 PM

Now I run with some Elpida's at 2000 8-7-8-20-1n @ 1.50v
    And i remember asking you for some screenshots and settings you was using but never heard anything back though.
    Care to tell me what exact model of HyperX's you have? As i'm not sure if you have the 1800's and overclocking them to 2,000. As if you have the T1 series that is already 2,000 i like to see some screen shots of those settings. As you would be going from 8-8-8-24 to 8-7-8-20 and plus dropping the volts on it from 1.65 to 1.50

Not saying you aren't doing it but i find it super hard to believe though if it is the T1 2,000 8-8-8-24 set though.

Good Day
    Still having issue, so i'm still testing and upping stuff. Oh i was running the memtest86+ to make sure i didn't ahve a stick going bad since all the talk around here of failing ram......

Good Day

Xtreme Member
    Well still having issue's with 32meg Super-Pi. The ic's on the ram are Elpida Hyper's with the angel chips. Not sure what it is doing but i notices with the last asus bios 1406 bios everything needs a lot more voltage. So i'm just thinking the only issue i have is Super-Pi at this point. Guess hopefully it will get a update some day. As i'm not even sure when the 1.5 xs version was released.

Suggestions are welcome at this point, snap the ram in half is what i am going with now........

Good Day

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What core i7 have you got ?
    Most i920 C0 revisions will have a hard time doing 2000 Mhz Ram speed at Cas8, 7 is much harder.
    The new i920 D0 cpus are getting there much easier, with much lower VTT.
    A good CPU/board will need about 1.4V for VTT, ASUS is not one of those boards in terms of voltage.
    Try going at about 1.5-1.6v for the VTT and see if that helps.
    Again, your CPU might just not be able to run those high memory clocks.

PC: Intel Core i7 920 D0 | Kingston Hyperx T1 6GB 2000Mhz 8-8-8 RAM | Foxconn Bloodrage GTI | Sapphire 4870X2 | Perc 5/i - WD 640AAKSx4 RAID0 | Asus 2014L1T | Dell 2407WFP | Lian Li G70 Silver Watercooled
    WaterCooling: Q² Project by The-Fox
    CPU Loop: Swiftech Apogee GTZ | Feser X-Changer 480 | Swiftech MCP655 Vario w/ DetroitAC top | EK Multioption RES 250 Rev.2 | Tygon R3603 1/2" | YL D12SL@1350RPM x4
    GPU Loop: EK-FC4870 X2 Nickel | Swiftech MCR320 | Swiftech MCP655 Vario w/DetroitAC top | EK Multioption RES 150 Rev.2 | Tygon R3603 1/2" | YL D12SL@1350RPM x3

Xtreme Member
    My cpu runs everything else fine, only thing i have a issue with is 32meg super pi. And all it does is say application error when it stops. So you think a Asus Rampage 2 Extreme isn't good enough for 2,000mhz? Just find it odd nothing elses crashes but super pi 32meg though. But yes it is a c0 stepping but nothing is overclocked anywhere.

But yes the vtt statement is correct as it run mine on 1.65 as it take 1.6 just to get into windows at 2,000mhz. Also forgot about i even used profile #2 with is 1866mhz one and it does the same thing random crash. A setting but which one.......

Good Day
    Last edited by KILLER_K; 06-20-2009 at 07:38 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You just got a weak IMC, that's all, most C0 do.
    What I said about the ASUS not being a good board was in terms of voltage, which takes a bit more than some other boards to achieve high mem clocks like 2000Mhz.
    If you can go D0, you will hit 2000Mhz mem clock with even 1.38-1.4v for VTT.

PC: Intel Core i7 920 D0 | Kingston Hyperx T1 6GB 2000Mhz 8-8-8 RAM | Foxconn Bloodrage GTI | Sapphire 4870X2 | Perc 5/i - WD 640AAKSx4 RAID0 | Asus 2014L1T | Dell 2407WFP | Lian Li G70 Silver Watercooled
    WaterCooling: Q² Project by The-Fox
    CPU Loop: Swiftech Apogee GTZ | Feser X-Changer 480 | Swiftech MCP655 Vario w/ DetroitAC top | EK Multioption RES 250 Rev.2 | Tygon R3603 1/2" | YL D12SL@1350RPM x4
    GPU Loop: EK-FC4870 X2 Nickel | Swiftech MCR320 | Swiftech MCP655 Vario w/DetroitAC top | EK Multioption RES 150 Rev.2 | Tygon R3603 1/2" | YL D12SL@1350RPM x3

Xtreme Member
    Be sure not to go too far over 1.7v for the elpidas - I've heard this has lead to a very short life for the chips and that they have a voltage regulator on them?

Xtreme Member
    Yea i don't have the cash to buy a new d0 for super-pi issues though. Just find it hard to believe nothing solves the issue with super-pi and the crashing. Yea the max i do is 1.65 and it is stable there so i will leave it there, as it has to either just be super-pi or perhaps the os and super-pi together.

Like i said it isn't a big deal but it is rather annoying for it just to crash on super-pi. Is there any word of a update or anything on super-pi? As i know it is pretty old, and nothing new has really came out of it so far. Just wondering if i should just leave it be and move on as that is about what i am thinking now.

EDIT: W1zzard posted his super_pi 1.6 for me to try out so i am running it now to see what happens.

Good Day
    Last edited by KILLER_K; 06-21-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Update:
    Finally got it to run using super-pi 1.1e. I have zero issues since going back to this version. So i now know it is a super-pi issue and not my ram or os. I also know super-pi 1.5 xe and 1.6 both have the same issues. So hopefully they can compare the two and work out the bugs in the next release if there will be one.

Glad i didn't have to buy a "D0" stepping to get out of this, had to say it "FOX", just messsing with you.

Good Day