View Poll Results: What would you do in my situation...

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy the 2004/2005 WRX STi, spend the $700 on payments, insurance, gas

25 52.08%
  • Buy a 1997/1998/1999 Eclipse GSX, risk it, save most of the money/use it towards something else

23 47.92%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $700 a month for 3 years..what would you do?

Xtreme Recruit

$700 a month for 3 years..what would you do?

What would you do? Opinions/Input/Criticizm WANTED:

Hey guys. Hows everybody doin?
    Im going to be getting $700 a month for the next 3 years or so . I was set on using it to get an apartment and move out of my moms house BUT after those 3 years are up i know i wont be able to financialy keep the apartment anymore. I was also set on buying a new/very slightly used 2nd. Subaru Impreza WRX or 1st. WRX STi either 2004/2005 because i thought im never going to have this opportunity again in my life so why not go ahead, make a dream come true, and do it. Seeing as how getting a new car i wouldnt have to worry about buying one again moving into my adult age and then i have a car which is reliable and a huge +.
    I know i can afford a car payment with insurance and gas with the $700 plus working 2 jobs i would have enough money for whatever else i needed in daily living/savings.
    I dont have any big expenses like college tuition, car payments, housing, loans or anything like that.
    Im almost positive i would be able to pay off the car before or around the time the money stops.
    Last edited by Romain; 01-04-2006 at 10:33 PM.

Xtreme Recruit
    13 views no ones got an opinion on this?

Xtreme Member
    Hummm...I'm doing fine and you?

Well if you dont plan on goign to college, then I guess the WRX, but even still, the money saved on the Eclipse would be good for the 1st and last months rent on a first apartment.

You could put the money into a IRA and get money on it for those 3 years and then pull it out and have made some money doing nothing.

But if you dont care about saving money for the future the WRX is a sweet as ride. The one plux to the WRX is that you can actually put shiet in the back seat, where as the Eclipse has absolutely no room in the back and a small ass trunk.

Xtreme Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer
    Well if you dont plan on goign to college, then I guess the WRX, but even still, the money saved on the Eclipse would be good for the 1st and last months rent on a first apartment.

You could put the money into a IRA and get money on it for those 3 years and then pull it out and have made some money doing nothing.

But if you dont care about saving money for the future the WRX is a sweet as ride. The one plux to the WRX is that you can actually put shiet in the back seat, where as the Eclipse has absolutely no room in the back and a small ass trunk.
    Yeah really my brother has one and its incredibly small in the back. And the Sedan idea is also good it gives you lots of space for friends or whatever; i dont mind it. + dozens more reasons Why to get the WRX

Are there any other options?
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner
    Are there any other options?
    Car wise? Not really. EVO 8 maybe but iv done my research for awhile and chose the STi. Option wise not really either

Personaly i like the evo better, but thats just me. It handles the road better. the STi is better for offroading, which, I assume, you will NEVER do.

Xtreme Addict
    the STI feels better for daily driving compared to the evo...gas mileage the evo wins by a little
    Q6700
    MSI P35
    8GB OCZ
    2xHD 2900 XT
    PCP&C 1kw

Xtreme Cruncher
    ive seen a lot of comparission STI vs EVO 8 and the evo kicks the STi is faster in track... road and it has better 4x4 is even faster than a lambo murcielago in track record.

the split differential is pretty amazin you can make a turn so fast that all the traction of the car is just in 1 wheel and imo is more beatiful but that is just me
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Member
    I`d do a $2,500 beater and pocket the 700/mo!!
    But I hate car payments with a passion.
    The world`s only triple phase-changer PC in one case.

Xtreme Member
    Portugal>Lisbon> Benfica>Next to the Stadium Of Light
    Why don't you buy a BMW series 3?
    Way more cool.

Seems like a crazy waste of money to me.

I would save as much as possible then stat my own buisiness or something.

If somebody gave me $25200 the last thing I would do is buy one expensive luxury item.

Remember that cars depreciate massively, the car that cost you $25000 will be worth LOADS less in 3 years time!!

Xtreme Member
    Portugal>Lisbon> Benfica>Next to the Stadium Of Light
    Quote Originally Posted by Holst
    Seems like a crazy waste of money to me.

I would save as much as possible then stat my own buisiness or something.

If somebody gave me $25200 the last thing I would do is buy one expensive luxury item.

Remember that cars depreciate massively, the car that cost you $25000 will be worth LOADS less in 3 years time!!
    It's a question of options.
    A nice car it's a very good thing to have.
    A own business it's also good off course.

--

If you want a very nice 2 seats for $35000 you have the BMW 2005 Z4 2.5i Roadster.
    But if you don't mind buying a used car you can aim for a used Porsche Boxster.
    Last edited by dutchman.pt; 01-05-2006 at 02:45 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My 2p...

Getting a car on monthly payments is killer, your paying for something that is losing money every month, and you have to take into account service bills, parts, etc.

However you'll have a very nice car to show for it!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    GSX, nice awd car

XS Local
    buy a used 02 wrx and spend the extra 2-5k in mods.

thats what i would do at least.

Opteron 175 Dual Core CCBWE 0544XPMW @2.3ghz 1.41v
    DFI SLI-DR Expert 11-25 Bios
    G-Skill 1gb GH UTT @210 2-2-2-5
    BFG 7800GT OC 485/1170 NV 5rev3
    74gb Raptor 300gb Maxtor 500gb Hitachi
    OCZ 520w SLI 3.46v 5.16v 12.64v
    Thermaltake CL-P0114 Big Typhoon
    3dmark01 3dmark05
    Heatware

Banned
    I pay almost $1K/month on an SUV i like...do what works for you.

Xtreme Recruit
    Id rather not buy a used 02; hate the bugeyem, would have more miles on it and the tranny isnt as good (plus its a 5spd compared to a 6spd). Like the EVO, but i need something more comfortable all around. Love the looks of the Suby better, beefy sound, reliability. It'll be moded but slowly im not in a rush on that stuff. BMW 3 series? There nice but i live in Upstate NY..snow? Uh, yeah it can get pretty bad i really want AWD.
    Used STi's im looking at are around 27,28k either 2004 or 2005 model.
    Dont care if its a 4 door. If i mod it enough i can push the seats back and install seatbelt clips or harnesses or just take out the whole backseat..not a 4 seater anymore.
    More input!

Admin
    25k ain't gonna pay for a 27k car....especially if you get a loan (seeing as the 25k won't be immediately available, you'll need to).

So I say get the Eclipse and keep the rest for rainy-day funds.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leviathan18
    ive seen a lot of comparission STI vs EVO 8 and the evo kicks the STi is faster in track... road and it has better 4x4 is even faster than a lambo murcielago in track record.

the split differential is pretty amazin you can make a turn so fast that all the traction of the car is just in 1 wheel and imo is more beatiful but that is just me

im assuming you're referencing the top gear episode, that one was a mitsubishi evo mr fq400 which has 124 horsepower more than the basic stock evo.

my dad has the sti and it feels a lot more upscale than the evo but the evo is faster in all regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Romain
    Car wise? Not really. EVO 8 maybe but iv done my research for awhile and chose the STi. Option wise not really either
    Personally I say buy an LS1 F-Body but i'm biased of course...then take the extra money and put it into some sweet mods. Smoke any EVO you come across in both looks and performance.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukee
    I`d do a $2,500 beater and pocket the 700/mo!!
    But I hate car payments with a passion.
    Amen brother.
    Sourcing parts for a mildly over clocked abacus.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner
    Personally I say buy an LS1 F-Body but i'm biased of course...then take the extra money and put it into some sweet mods. Smoke any EVO you come across in both looks and performance.
    I would say the EVO...but I'm biased too ..take the money for some mods and smoke the LS1 in both looks and performance. I think it goes either way though...both cool cars.

But I don't think you should put that money down on a car that will keep depreciating like other people are saying. It would be nice to flaunt...but look at how much money you're wasting...just my $0.02
    ASUS Maximus VI Hero
    Intel 4770K Delidded @ 4.7GHz
    Swiftech DDC w/Petras Top
    EK Supremacy Direct to Die/MCW80 GPU
    XSPC 120.4
    2x8GB G.Skill
    MSI 6950 2GB 975/1400
    Samsung 830 2x128GB RAID0/WD 2x3TB RAID1
    Corsair 800D with AX850W PSU
    Dell U3011 30" LCD

save up or look on ebay for a toyota supra. 1994 or greater. or come back to reality put your money in the bank.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast