Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting up Rosetta@home

I created an account and am downloading the client along with the optimised one right now. Will be putting my X2 4400 @ 2800Mhz to work with this project.

-k0nsl

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you're smiling and everyone around you is crying.

I am Xtreme
    On a Dual xeon rig do I need to create 4 seperate folders and install in all 4?

Moral Police
    no certainly not.
    Install it, and in your preferences of rosetta set the max ammount of CPU's it can use to 4. That is all you need to do

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Entity_Razer
    no certainly not.
    Install it, and in your preferences of rosetta set the max ammount of CPU's it can use to 4. That is all you need to do
    Thank you.

^^Not dead!!^^
    a multi threaded DC project! Ahhhhhh nice!

Well, after some testing, I can say that I like it already. Very interesting stuff.

-k0nsl

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you're smiling and everyone around you is crying.

^^Not dead!!^^
    I'm on the team! I have a LV DX rig @ 3.15GHZ and a P4E @ 3.7GHz up and running.

This is a bit more complicated than D2OL to setup... time to get something around to make it easier (Biggest problem I had is that all the information isn't in one easy place. I was all over the place)

XS in Sin City
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodzilla
    I'm on the team! I have a LV DX rig @ 3.15GHZ and a P4E @ 3.7GHz up and running.

This is a bit more complicated than D2OL to setup... time to get something around to make it easier (Biggest problem I had is that all the information isn't in one easy place. I was all over the place)
    Helheim's D2OL Watchdog works great with BOINC too. Might want to get in touch with him to see about a new settings file that can be posted on your Rosetta Team site (I am assuming you are making one , right?)

Xtreme Cruncher
    i do not use any monitoring program to set the priority to low. I have never had a problem with a DC project taking over my comp and making it really slow. even on my daily user.

oh and LV my ESC crapped out on me, it just stopped working one day so i am back to the EPoX.

just let it go

312 Xeon Threads + GTX 1080 + GTX 1070 + BFL Monarch 700

XS in Sin City
    Quote Originally Posted by KaptainBlaZzed
    i do not use any monitoring program to set the priority to low. I have never had a problem with a DC project taking over my comp and making it really slow. even on my daily user.

oh and LV my ESC crapped out on me, it just stopped working one day so i am back to the EPoX.

just let it go
    The ECS wasn't bad for a free board, huh?

Guys,

Do you know how it is possible to buffer alot of work, so that I don't have to connect all the time to upload and get new work? I mean, so I can just leave it for one day, over the night, and then in the morning get new stuff?

-k0nsl

Ker-Pow !
    Quote Originally Posted by k0nsl
    Guys,

Do you know how it is possible to buffer alot of work, so that I don't have to connect all the time to upload and get new work? I mean, so I can just leave it for one day, over the night, and then in the morning get new stuff?

-k0nsl

Change your preferences in your account at the rosetta website to connect to network every x amount of days.

Thank you, thewildblue. I set it to two days...

-k0nsl

I am Xtreme
    Great to have your load of firepower with us k0nsl Welcome to the team

Assuming you run it at all times and not just when idle you should be doing about 7000 or so a week. My daily average seems to be about 1100 a day with a good amount of gaming.
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

I am Xtreme
    Anyone know what the avg output should be for a dual 1.6 D1 rig running at 3150mhz?

Xtreme Cruncher
    i am getting about 900 per day from my DX @ 3.2 but i only have 512mb ram and am using major swap space. I have a nother gig or ram coming in the mail tomorrow to solve this problem. I expect it to go up quite a bit once i stop using swap space all the time.

a DX crunching 4 WU's at the same time takes ~750mb RAM so you NEED a gig for a DX for sure.

I am Xtreme
    Are you kidding me? Running 2 WU's on my opteron rig takes 160mb ram total. My firefox is using 252mb
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

I am Xtreme
    Well this is what I have so far and I started about this time yesterday.
    36) Payback 558.13 143.27
    I found setup confusing and am not sure at all if I have it setup to use full power of my rig. This rig is doing just this as I have another rig that is my daily. Could someone with a rig such as mine help me by pming me the correct setting? Or post them here. Thanks for the help.

Ker-Pow !
    i am getting about 900 per day from my DX @ 3.2 but i only have 512mb ram and am using major swap space. I have a nother gig or ram coming in the mail tomorrow to solve this problem. I expect it to go up quite a bit once i stop using swap space all the time.

a DX crunching 4 WU's at the same time takes ~750mb RAM so you NEED a gig for a DX for sure.
    Im wondering if it better to run the xeons without HT as they will use less RAM and might be slighty quicker. Im tempted to try but havent had the time.

Thanks for the pleasant welcome, afireinside

I think mine is capable of 1500/day or something like that. Tomorrow I will know, because I have buffered so it won't run out of work during the night. This stuff is great. BTW, the X2 is only running at a speed of 2760Mhz right now, so it will probably produce more at 2850 or 2900Mhz.

Another thing; is there ANY point in using a 800Mhz "Spitfire" for rosetta@home? Because I have one which could be used for that.

I also got a 2.8Ghz Celeron (s478) but it is currently running D2OL and it only has 256mb of ram; it needs to be upgraded.

-k0nsl

Quote Originally Posted by afireinside
    Great to have your load of firepower with us k0nsl Welcome to the team

Assuming you run it at all times and not just when idle you should be doing about 7000 or so a week. My daily average seems to be about 1100 a day with a good amount of gaming.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by afireinside
    Are you kidding me? Running 2 WU's on my opteron rig takes 160mb ram total. My firefox is using 252mb
    are you sure about that???
    why don't you stop boinc and check you ram usage then start it up again and check it out. I think you are fooling your self.

2 WU's at a time on a dedicated X2 takes ~425mb ram.

Mine is using ~159mb of ram, only counting work which is being processed. Counting everything it uses ~209mb of ram.

-k0nsl

2 WU's at a time on a dedicated X2 takes ~425mb ram.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by k0nsl
    Mine is using ~159mb of ram, only counting work which is being processed. Counting everything it uses ~209mb of ram.

-k0nsl
    you all are gong to have to explaine that to me because my dedicated X2 uses ~452mb and my dedicated DX uses ~750mb. these computers do nothing bu crunch, they do not even have antivirus on them. the only extra process is remotedesktop.

my non-dedicated x2 uses ~725mb ram. it is running boinc, boincview, aim, dimes, firefox and norton.

here take a look.

http://kaptain.no-ip.org/images/x2ram.jpg
    http://kaptain.no-ip.org/images/dxram.jpg

is there something i missed?? are my settings in my preferences wrong??
    here they are

Use no more than 30 GB disk space
    Leave at least 0.1 GB disk space free
    Use no more than 85% of total disk space
    Write to disk at most every 360 seconds
    Use no more than 75% of total virtual memory

Admin
    No, you are right...closing the boinc.exe tree drops RAM usage ~350MB for me (X2), restarting it reuses 340MB of it nearly instantly. I've only been at this for a few hours so mine might climb more.....all I know is that I need to go back to 2GB!!

c[_]
    77mb at the moment on this laptop. Page file has a lot in it aside from rosetta

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast