Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: DFI SLI DR Expert CPU Death Fix

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff

Arrow DFI SLI DR Expert CPU Death Fix

this is a beta bios, but the word I got from DFI directly, is that bios 1207, should help with the rare occurance, of CPU's dying in this board.

the known issue is that, rarely, the CPU will get over 3 volts sent to it, from a cold boot.
    the Issue is being worked on fast by DFI and Oskar WU.

before anyone flips out, try to realize how few people seem to have problems with this board, before condeming DFI, with the lynch mod mentality and such.

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Support/Downloa...FLAG=B&SITE=US

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

XS Local
    could you get an offical Statement?

is the 12/07 a BETA bios? -DFI says Betas will void all warrantys so it would be nice to know for those people still useing the 11/02 if they will still have warranty after flashing.

Opteron 175 Dual Core CCBWE 0544XPMW @2.3ghz 1.41v
    DFI SLI-DR Expert 11-25 Bios
    G-Skill 1gb GH UTT @210 2-2-2-5
    BFG 7800GT OC 485/1170 NV 5rev3
    74gb Raptor 300gb Maxtor 500gb Hitachi
    OCZ 520w SLI 3.46v 5.16v 12.64v
    Thermaltake CL-P0114 Big Typhoon
    3dmark01 3dmark05
    Heatware

Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak
    this is a beta bios[/url]
    I can try to get some sort of official word from DFI, but I doubt thats gonna happen. the people I know at DFI aren't the big fish, just the review people really. plus alittle of the shipping and PR people.
    I can get little bits of info here and there, but nothing big, if thats what your looking for.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

c[_]
    3 volts?

thats.... very excessive!

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

¿
    What about the CF-DR?

Evil Kitty
    Quote Originally Posted by G H Z
    What about the CF-DR?
    I beleive that was addressed with the 12/12 beta BIOS here:
    http://us.dfi.com.tw/Support/Downloa...FLAG=B&SITE=NA
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    32GB (8 x 4) Gskill @4000
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    OS & Apps: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
    Games: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
    Storage: Crucial M500 2TB
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

I was looking down the list of BIOS files and searching for one with a description like . . . . "Helps to remove CPU burn up." . . .

No but seriously, what does "Improving NF4EDB25 HELP Error message" mean? I'll be setting up an Expert this weekend and I'm trying to figure out whether to start overclocking on the stock BIOS or to flash it first.
    Opteron 185 (CABYE 0540) @ 2.80GHz (1.45V Vcore) --- DFI LanParty SLI-DR Expert @ 211MHz HTT
    2x1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC DDR500 --- 4x160GB Raptors in RAID 0 & 750GB WD (backup) --- PCP&C 1000W
    2xEVGA 8800GTS 640MB in SLI @ 675MHz core, 1080MHz memory
    TEC-cooling: 245W-320W TEC in Maze4-1 CPU block, Meanwell 480W
    Water-cooling: MCP655 pump, 1/2" tygon tubes, BIX III radiator, 6 Panaflo 114CFM fans (in push-pull)
    Hanns-G 25" 1080P LCD

Evil Kitty
    To ALL:

I went ahead and flashed to the new Expert beta BIOS in Kunaak's link. Everything seems fine so far. I never had any trouble with the board to begin with, but I thought I would try this out for the members here who are looking for a fix.

So far, so good.
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Revivalist
    No but seriously, what does "Improving NF4EDB25 HELP Error message" mean? I'll be setting up an Expert this weekend and I'm trying to figure out whether to start overclocking on the stock BIOS or to flash it first.
    All that is talking about is an issue which reared its head in the 11/22 and 11/25 beta bioses where all the description text in "standard cmos settings" was a bunch of random characters. Its back to normal in this new bios Nothing else to report yet from it...
    Intel 3930k @ 4.55ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    Intel SSD 520 480gb
    AMD Radeon 6990
    Corsair AX1200 PSU

Xtreme Addict
    I flashed this yesterday and it been fine..........
    Asus P8P67-M Pro - Bios 413
    i7-2600K LO41C106
    Cooler Master V8 - Antec 180 Mini
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
    Sissy OC - 4.6 @ 1.3175 24/7 | 18' Idle - 55' Load
    Windows 7 MS Is Getting Better...

Personal Site!

Xtreme Mentor
    OK, now I want to know what these "rare circumstances" were.

I don't think there's a good reason to withhold that information.

Evil Kitty
    I want to clarify that regardless of the description of the 1207 beat bios, I beleive Kunaak was informed from DFI that it contained the fix for the CPU overvolt issue and that they were working on getting it official asap.
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Evil Kitty
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Cracauer
    OK, now I want to know what these "rare circumstances" were.

I don't think there's a good reason to withhold that information.
    I don't beleive that this information is actually being withheld at this time. Obviously they have been working on the problem and must have discovered that they can duplicate it in the lab, or see a posibility that it can occur. However, it may be a random occurence over 1000 boot cycles, or a bunch of other things. I'm pretty sure we'll hear more soon. Once they get this beta to official, I think we'll hear more details.
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa
    I don't beleive that this information is actually being withheld at this time. Obviously they have been working on the problem and must have discovered that they can duplicate it in the lab, or see a posibility that it can occur. However, it may be a random occurence over 1000 boot cycles, or a bunch of other things. I'm pretty sure we'll hear more soon. Once they get this beta to official, I think we'll hear more details.
    And whilst we are waiting for these 'details', we flash to said bios in the hope of safeguarding our precious h/ware and in the process lose any warranty we "may" have had.

Yer right
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne
    And whilst we are waiting for these 'details', we flash to said bios in the hope of safeguarding our precious h/ware and in the process lose any warranty we "may" have had.

Yer right
    Well seems like a decision everyone's got to make for themselves.... I personally would rather lose a $200.00 board than a $500.00 chip so I'd never give it a second thought.....
    Asus P8P67-M Pro - Bios 413
    i7-2600K LO41C106
    Cooler Master V8 - Antec 180 Mini
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
    Sissy OC - 4.6 @ 1.3175 24/7 | 18' Idle - 55' Load
    Windows 7 MS Is Getting Better...

Personal Site!

Xtreme Mentor
    Would this work with other Lanparty Nf4 motherboards, like the ultra-d? Is the 3volt thing even a issue with the other models?
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtremely unstable
    I don't beleive that this information is actually being withheld at this time. Obviously they have been working on the problem and must have discovered that they can duplicate it in the lab, or see a posibility that it can occur.
    Working on it and even duplicating it is a very different matter than publicly admitting there is a problem.
    However, it may be a random occurence over 1000 boot cycles, or a bunch of other things. I'm pretty sure we'll hear more soon. Once they get this beta to official, I think we'll hear more details.
    You seriously think this? And what will this statement be? Maybe something along the lines of 'We goofed and included a time bomb in our flagship board. And by the way, so sorry about those irreplaceable $1000 processors.'?? Not likely.

Xtreme Legend
    this is a beta bios, but the word I got from DFI directly, is that bios 1207, should help with the rare occurance, of CPU's dying in this board.

the known issue is that, rarely, the CPU will get over 3 volts sent to it, from a cold boot.
    the Issue is being worked on fast by DFI and Oskar WU.

before anyone flips out, try to realize how few people seem to have problems with this board, before condeming DFI, with the lynch mod mentality and such.

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Support/Downloa...FLAG=B&SITE=US
    are you freaking kidding me man.......................wtf is this all about............so pls tell us more. I don't like the sound of this
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

oh jesus...

here it goes.

first off, please don't start flipping out.
    out of how many DFI Expert boards out there, have you heard of killing a CPU? 2? 4? maybe 8?

this is a incredibly rare issue so far, and so far, I have yet to hear of this on any other forum except here, and even here only a tiny amount of people have reported this...

at the moment, your more likely to wake up tommorow with angelina jolie in your bed, then a dead CPU from your DFI Expert board...
    so please, don't start freaking out.
    dealing with people who are scared and flipping out, is just too damn hard.
    so please, realize, this problem so far is insanely small...

but, yes, the problem does exist and DFI is fixing it ASAP with a new Bios.it is unfortunate, but you got to realize, the chances of you coming into this problem is so damn small, its ridiculous to get crazy over it.

No, this isn't a Issue to any of the other NF4 boards out there.
    if it was, we would have heard about this a year ago.

this isn't the first time theres been a issue like this on the market, if anyone remembers when the NF3 150 boards were released, there was a issue with that chipset, where people were ending up with dead A64's.
    it came down to a basic flaw in the design of the chipset, where it would send over 4 volts to the Mem controller on the CPU and instantly fry it.
    there would be no sign of it, no burn marks, no smell, no smoke.
    just a CPU that would no longer boot.

people back then were flipping out, like the ebola virus was just released into thier drinking water...
    but when all was said and done, the amount of people who had dead CPU's from NF3-150 boards, was so small, that they could all have fit in a small room together...
    but with how much people freaked out, you'd think the world was gonna end.

try not to get into that mentality.
    it really makes trying to help people really annoying, cause the hardest person to help, is the irrational ones.
    Last edited by Kunaak; 12-13-2005 at 11:59 PM.

Charcoal or propane?
    i dont even see what the problem is here. I mean come on now, as has been said before on these baords, more volts solves everything! Expert kills your golden FX-57 by hitting it w/ 3 volts? Give that sucker 5 volts(and a few magicaly jellybeans) and it'll wake right back up and run faster than ever!

seriously though, its good to see that they are addressing the issue asap.
    DFI UT X58-T3eH8 (being replaced with Giga UD5)
    Core i7 920 D0 mostly stable @ 4Ghz
    TRUE 120
    6GB OCZ Platinum 7-7-7 (still in testing
    XFX 4890 1GB @ 1050/1190
    Corsair HX850W
    CM Cosmos S

Still testing...

Xtreme Enthusiast

at the moment, your more likely to wake up tommorow with angelina jolie in your bed, then a dead CPU from your DFI Expert board...
    Tell that to mikegava or OPB, sure they wouldn't mine to get a dozen dead cpu's if they found Angelina with 'em in the bed... j/k
    Asus P5K Premium//Intel E6600@3,6ghz//Corsair PC6400C3@500 4-4-4-12 2,2v//8800GTS G92//Audigy 2 ZS//SeaSonic M12 700W & LianLi V2000B

Xtreme Addict
    Its kindda simple isn't it.

If DFI releases a new bios that supposedly fixes a problem with their board (the number of people experiencing the problem is not the case), they thereby accept the responsibility as the "creator" of the problem.

If I had a dead CPU in my Expert board, I'd RMA it to DFI...

I cannot believe that they actually at first dismissed the problem, telling users they CPUs died because of extreme overclocking, when in fact, the problem is on their hands.

What a way to tr- the overcloeat ones #1 customer cking community...

We all know, that when it comes down to hard law we have no case since most of the stuff we do voids warranty. But when a company is alive due to the fact that we overclock, I consider it massively disrespectfull to blame die-hard-legend overclockers for a fried CPU when you KNOW your new board is the cause...

At least, I wanna see an official apology to OPB and Pedro Rocha

Xtreme Member
    I have confident in DFI and Oscar Wu. I was pesimistive about the cool boot issue that happend on DFI NF4 board that can be cured by a simple Bios flashing. I was wrong and I don't have any cool boot issues with my previous DFI Nf4 ultra-D after falshing to bios 623-3.

So, let us wait for the bios fixing. Meantime, we can still using the Official bios for the Expert
    Allendale E6300@2380mhz @1.28vcore(Vostok water cooling kit)
    Asrock 775Twins-HDTV (ATi Xpress 300)
    OCZ value 512mb x 2 @ 340mhz @ 4-4-3-5
    IDE Hitachi 80gb 7200rpm 2 mb
    Inno3D 7900GT
    AOpen Combo 52x 32x RW 16x DVD
    Panasonic Floppy
    OCZ Power Stream 520 watt
    icute casing with front blue CCFC, 2 80mm rear casing fan and 1 80mm casing fan on top.

Xtreme Member
    well, flashed it and it seem fine so far. eventhough my eXpert doesn'e "kill" any of my CPU yet, but i prefer not to have it happen.

-100c Club Member
    So... for that small number of people... I am thinking DFI is willing to pay back for burnt cpus is my guess?
    It is not only how the problem occured, it is also matter of how problem is resolved and damage control has been done.
    I believe these are steps to be taken.
    1) Publically acknowledge the issue. Well, if people don't know they could still be running the board without bios update... how ever slim the chance it will happen.
    2) Take out all the boards in circulation. They want to risk their customers? They are risking their reputation.
    3) Compensate those who actually lost CPUs due to this. It WILL be hard to verfiy and to be honest, they should do just like what AMD does on this kind of situation.
    Unless all of these are met, I can't see any reason ever to use DFI board in future as it clearly shows me that they are not willing to stand behind their product. It will cost them a lot of money, yes. But hiding behind problem will lose them more money over time.
    Of course, I live in my idealistic world half the time so this most likely will be just tossed away.

PS) Anyone remember the time of P90 fiasco about buggy FPU? It didn't even burn cpu, failed just about all application out there but eventually, company did acknowledge problem, worked on it, made most customers happy again. They didn't do this by hiding, turning down customers, etc. YES it did cost them huge amount of money by incredibly larger proportion, but hey, they eventually gained trust back from people by doing many right things. AMD might have been in better shoes if intel decded to just keep hiding.
    Last edited by jinu117; 12-14-2005 at 02:00 AM.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast