Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DSL and DIMES for VMWare Player: a how-to

beefin' it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonOrta
    I went through everything, and keep getting an error.

Error: JAVA_HOME Environment variable is not defined. Please install JDK or define it manually.

Could someone tell me how to get by this? Thanks
    did you do the export JAVA_HOME="..." part as well as modifying the .bash_profile? the problem is that the JAVA_HOME variable isn't defined and these are the 2 steps that define it. I'd say double-check in .bash_profile and, when in doubt, reboot.

Xtreme Christmas Lighter
    Quote Originally Posted by moddolicous
    Just a couple of tips I want to add to this: if you want DSL to automatically load into the OS without you typing dsl + password, when it asks to install multi users, select no, and when it asks for a boot loader, choose lilo. After you install dimes & java, right click on the background, go to style and choose minimal. Also, choose no icons. Those little things should use ~10mbs less.
    Any idea if you can change the login parameters after you have already installed DSL? I have around 50-60 clients running and if I can change something instead of re-installing I'd like to go that route.

I used the .ISO that Bloody_Sorcerer created btw... in case that matters.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    I'm not sure. I'll try to figure it out. BTW, never press the stop button to automatically turn the vmware off. For windows it works, but when your running Dimes, it doesnt unmount the drive and a bunch of other stuff.
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Christmas Lighter
    Yeah, I noticed that. The first time you try to re-start a "power off"ed client it has to check the disk and then it won't let you enter your username/password. You have to reset the VM to get it to boot then.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Alright, just an update for everyone, the Java install link doesnt work. i went to set up another dsl setup, and I downloaded the install, and when I went to download dimes, it was done. I was like: "woo, I have a pretty fast connection". It then wouldnt install. I went back on windows and downloaded it, and realized it was only 15kb. ??? So, I guess its down for now.

clicks to save kids

beefin' it up!
    the DIMES link? yeah, it appears to go down as much as a drunk cheerleader as a frat party. it plagued me as i set up VMs.

Xtreme Member
    i keep getting an error saying that JRE is the wrong version, the it has to be 1.4.xx? what gives i typed everything exacly as it says here, so i know i got the same version files?

EDIT:fixed by downloading the 1.4.2_10 version of java
    Last edited by Acrazar; 01-03-2006 at 11:14 PM.
    EVGA 780i SLI
    Intel Q6600 @ 3.6 on Water
    8GB Corsair DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15
    2x GTX 260 SLI + 8800GTS 640 PHYSx
    Corsair 1000W PSU
    Antec 1200
    1TB Seagate

XS_THE_MACHINE
    I got that message alot also, but I fixed it by reinstalling DSL and being very careful.

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    Ok, whats the difference between setting the broadcast ip and the regular ip of an adapter in DSL? Do i set them both to the same thing or what?

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    Oik, i figured out the above problem.. but ugh, now both UDP and IMCP ports are blocked and nothing can get out! I dont know anything about this DSL stuff but how come it became blocked after i rebooted to add to my team?

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm having some trouble getting Dimes to communicate with the outside world here...

Using VMware my install of DSL, Java and Dimes appeared to go without a hitch but in the Dimes messages tab all I get is this error being repeated again and again:

Send trial no.X failed (dimes,comm2server.ConnectionException: Could not connect. underlying exception: java.io.FileNotFound Exception: /home/dsl/DIMES/Classes/Base/conf/properties.xml (Permission denied))

Where did I go wrong...the file is there and I can open it using nano

beefin' it up!
    instead of launching with './agent.sh' launch with 'sudo ./agent.sh'. i get this problem on about half of my VMs and that clears it up. *shrug*

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks mate, that seems to have solved the problem!

It's still acting a little strange though - both UDP and ICMP are showing as blocked when checked and the graph isn't displaying any work, but when I check my stats I see that node is apparantly getting credit anyway.

beefin' it up!
    yeah, ignore the graph and the program lies to you half the time. if its making stats, don't ask questions in my book

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sweet guide Bloody Sorcerer!! Worked great.

Now for the Million dollar question. Can i use the "Clone" command in VMware to create multiple instances of DSL or does this only work with windows?
    Donate to XtremeSystems!

Workstation: Intel Core i7 4770, Asus Maximus VI Gene, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1866, eVGA SC GTX Titan, 256GB Crucial M4, Corsair HX850, Corsair H100i. Corsair Carbide 350D
    Fileserver: 2x AMD Opteron 2425HE, Supermicro H8DME-2, 24GB DDR2-667, Supermicro 846TQ 24bay Chassis, Redundant 920w, 256 Crucial M4 boot, 20TB Storage
    Notebook Asus Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Intel Core i7 3517u, 10GB DDR3-1600, 256GB Crucial M4, Geforce GT 620M

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah I cloned my VMs Wes. I had a few problems to begin with though...

I started off by installing everything; DSL, Java and Dimes, then cloned the VM and expected that I would be able to change the agent name once I'd brought the clone online. It didn't seem to work for me that way though - I'm not sure if you can just change the agent name on the fly in Dimes and expect it to work or not Maybe I just screwed up that install, but in the end I started again, this time installing only DSL and Java and just downloading and extracting Dimes without actually installing it. It meant having to install Dimes for each clone but at least it worked

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'll give it a shot on my other machine. I borked something on this one. I'm using a program called "trayit" to minimize vmware to the tray and my dimes vm was locked up. Rebooted and tried running dimes and now it says no Java. I'll mess with it more tomorrow.
    Donate to XtremeSystems!

Workstation: Intel Core i7 4770, Asus Maximus VI Gene, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1866, eVGA SC GTX Titan, 256GB Crucial M4, Corsair HX850, Corsair H100i. Corsair Carbide 350D
    Fileserver: 2x AMD Opteron 2425HE, Supermicro H8DME-2, 24GB DDR2-667, Supermicro 846TQ 24bay Chassis, Redundant 920w, 256 Crucial M4 boot, 20TB Storage
    Notebook Asus Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Intel Core i7 3517u, 10GB DDR3-1600, 256GB Crucial M4, Geforce GT 620M

beefin' it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by gpcola
    Yeah I cloned my VMs Wes. I had a few problems to begin with though...

I started off by installing everything; DSL, Java and Dimes, then cloned the VM and expected that I would be able to change the agent name once I'd brought the clone online. It didn't seem to work for me that way though - I'm not sure if you can just change the agent name on the fly in Dimes and expect it to work or not Maybe I just screwed up that install, but in the end I started again, this time installing only DSL and Java and just downloading and extracting Dimes without actually installing it. It meant having to install Dimes for each clone but at least it worked
    you could download, but not extract/install DIMES before cloning. I've found that once you set the agent name in linux, it sticks forever, hence the reason that the zipped up image floating around somewheres doesn't have DIMES fully installed.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Quote Originally Posted by WesM63
    I'll give it a shot on my other machine. I borked something on this one. I'm using a program called "trayit" to minimize vmware to the tray and my dimes vm was locked up. Rebooted and tried running dimes and now it says no Java. I'll mess with it more tomorrow.
    Got a link to this "trayit" program??

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by moddolicous
    Got a link to this "trayit" program??

http://www.teamcti.com/trayit/trayit.htm
    Donate to XtremeSystems!

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Thank you Mr. Wes. Now, to hide a DSL install on my dad's computer.

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Cruncher
    Moddo,
    LMK how that goes. I got 4DSL clients going on my other computer at work. I checked the other computer that I was using trayit on and it was locked up again. I'll fix it monday and see if tray it was causing it to lockup.. if it was thats gonna suck.
    Donate to XtremeSystems!

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Well, it seems to be working fine. I have to wait to see if it updates and sends results. Keep an eye on Linux w/ ext3 (under my account).

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Member
    hey, so far ive followed this and got everythign running, including starting dimes, however after ive 'started' dimes - nothign happens. no windows appear/error messages etc. if i then try to start it again, it comes up with the DIMES style window and the message that another instance of dimes is already running. any ideas?

my linux knowledge extends to well, this guide, so be gentle!

cheers!

RwD

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sounds like it's minimised to me. Try clicking on 'Workspace 1>icons>DIMES agent 0.4.3b' in the taskbar at the bottom of the desktop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast