Thread: Insulation spray

Xtreme Addict

Insulation spray

Permatex® the Right Stuff® Gasket Maker

http://www.permatex.com/products/pro...&item_no=33694

snippet

Quote Originally Posted by Permatex description
    Permatex® the Right Stuff® Gasket Maker
    Return equipment to service immediately when you make leakproof gaskets in just one minute with the Right Stuff.® This latest elastomeric rubber gasket technology is blowout resistant and outperforms pre-cut gaskets. Specified on production lines by GM, Ford, Daimler-Chrysler and Mercedes-Benz. Temperature range -75°F to 450°F; (-60°C to 232°C) continuous, 500°F (260°C) intermittent; resists ATF, coolant, oil and other shop fluids. Protects against leaks caused by vibration and thermal expansion. Sensor-safe.

Suggested Applications:
    Automotive and marine gaskets, valve covers, gearbox covers, pumps, compressors, oil pans, thermostat housings, water pumps
    Says that it's sensor safe, which I hope means that it's safe to use on electronics/pcb and it's available in a aerosol can.

I was thinking of using this as the first layer of insulation (instead of pcb laquer spray or nail varnish) for the mobo and video card and putting seal string / neoproprene tape on top of that.

Basically:
    1. Nail Varnish the hard to spray spots
    2. tape up the stuff that gets hot and any open sockets
    3. Spray the back of the mobo and spray the 2-3in surrounding the CPU socket and AGP/PCI-e socket
    4. Seal string on top of that (mostly around the CPU socket for the backside)
    5. Foam tape on top of that (mostly around the CPU socket for the backside)

-60c to 232c temp range and should be pliable/vibration and non conductive due to being elastomeric rubber. And should be easy to apply with the spray on application, or at least easier than the liquid electrical tape. 10$ for the little can and 14$ for the bigger 7.5oz can

Thoughts?

Xtreme Addict
    No offense, but this is what i do...just insulate it well and make a tight seal around the CPU....however, i've only really used chilly1's mounting system and i've never had problems with it....single stage and cascade...no water on my stuff.

I think going to measures like that is overkill and not needed.
    I like building Vapor phase coolers......
    ......to cool mynipples!!

Heat is "gclg2000"
    95-0-0

-100C Cascade Club

Xtreme Addict
    None taken, I haven't even gotten my phase change running on my system yet.

You say insulate well, what does that mean?

Maybe this product is better suited for VGA cooling then?

The chilly1 vga mounting system doesn't have a foam doughnut provision for the vga mounting system and from the posts I read, vga cooling tends to spread more throughout the board ... so a product like this might be great to seal up the card and the area surrounding AGP/PCI-e slot and any neighboring slots.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Levish
    None taken, I haven't even gotten my phase change running on my system yet.

You say insulate well, what does that mean?

Maybe this product is better suited for VGA cooling then?

The chilly1 vga mounting system doesn't have a foam doughnut provision for the vga mounting system and from the posts I read, vga cooling tends to spread more throughout the board ... so a product like this might be great to seal up the card and the area surrounding AGP/PCI-e slot and any neighboring slots.
    I was also thinking about insulation for the VGA cards. Have you tried this Permatex stuff though?

Xtreme Addict
    I'm thinking of using it, which is why i posted for some feedback / thoughts on it.

VGA phase change cooling doesn't seem to be nearly as popular as CPU phase change cooling (which isn't all that popular to begin with), so I guess it is understandable that not many have experimented with different products so I may be the first to try this one.

I'm going to order a couple cans and when my unit arrives (probably going to be 2 weeks or so) I'll post my initial impressions with it, unless someone disuades me from trying it .

Xtreme Addict
    *update*

I got the stuff today, it's not a spray ... it's roughly the consistancy of the stuff you would use in a caulking gun (maybe a little less).

Not spray on at all

x_x

good for around agp/pci-e/pci sockets but otherwise a waste since it's very comparable to seal string.