Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista vs. Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by Dissolved
    im sure everyone will try it.

everyone talked how bad XP was, and months after it came out everyone was on it. people still used 2k for benchmarking, but XP was highly used.
    ...I have Win2k Sp4 and I use it for daily work,even games,I'm one of those peoples that don't like shiny cars that eat lot of gas,...they are fan to watch but expensive to Drive,...I don't know if this would be the case with Windows Vista,...I'v never instaled WinXp on my system(but I did helped others instaling it on their system - some will say I'm a bad man for this,I'v tried to change their mind,but they like shiny cars that eat lot of gas) for the moment Win2k is Ok for me,...even whit the latest joke from Microsoft (Age of Empires 3 - Windows Xp or above),...lol,they don't suport their own OS,....

...If you need more then 1Gb DDR for a OS,...hell with it,...let them use it,... ,...I consider going to WinXp 64 Bits for the 64 bit Future,...I'm not sure of the WinVista price,...things are to expensive as we speak,....I have to work more then 30 days for WinXp 64 bits,...if their new OS will cost twice,....no way i'l go for that,it's not worth it ,...with those money you can buy a new hardware part(mainstream),...
    Last edited by Alante; 02-15-2006 at 02:22 PM.

Xtreme CCIE
    I'll probably end up getting Vista and putting it on every-day partition. If I decide I like it enough and it's fast enough, I might switch over other partitions to it too, but that would take a lot of time and convincing.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Alante
    ...I have Win2k Sp4 and I use it for daily work,even games,I'm one of those peoples that don't like shiny cars that eat lot of gas,...they are fan to watch but expensive to Drive,...I don't know if this would be the case with Windows Vista,...I'v never instaled WinXp on my system(but I did helped others instaling it on their system - some will say I'm a bad man for this,I'v tried to change their mind,but they like shiny cars that eat lot of gas) for the moment Win2k is Ok for me,...even whit the latest joke from Microsoft (Age of Empires 3 - Windows Xp or above),...lol,they don't suport their own OS,....

...If you need more then 1Gb DDR for a OS,...hell with it,...let them use it,... ,...I consider going to WinXp 64 Bits for the 64 bit Future,...I'm not sure of the WinVista price,...things are to expensive as we speak,....I have to work more then 30 days for WinXp 64 bits,...if their new OS will cost twice,....no way i'l go for that,it's not worth it ,...with those money you can buy a new hardware part(mainstream),...
    AOE3 works on Win2000, you have to install it on an XP machine then transfer the installed folder+registry keys to the win2000 machine, and it will work
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Head
    AOE3 works on Win2000, you have to install it on an XP machine then transfer the installed folder+registry keys to the win2000 machine, and it will work
    ...I didn't try that,...but officialy it doesen't (I got an error "Win Xp or Above"),...tx for the hint ,...who knows,maibe in the future the games will say Win Vista or above,...if that would be the case then Microsoft needs to get some discipline

Xtreme Member
    In terms of functionality and speed at the time xp came out i tried it and then went back to win98se for like a year, till i really need XP. a few months after i started looking for a new os cause xp had too much bugs, and not simple stuff, reinstall your system stuff, wich happened when i was messing with drivers.

Tried win 2000 and it was alot more robust, still have a year old install running fine, tough i don't use it that much now, only to play one or two games.

Currently i'm using linux and im a lot more happier with it.

Still for M$ OS users i would suggest you stick with 2000 sp4, it's faster and less buggy, tough not so pretty.

Xtreme Mentor
    All I want is an OS to be the base of my machine and that it supports everything. If Vista does eat so much memory as said, hell with it. I mean, TWO GIGS OF MEMORY? What the... I've always been a resource sucker; I start up with +/-16 processes to dedicate the rest of my actual memory do video-editing. Sure it's only 1 gig but the same as 1,5 gigs running like 45 processes.

But it MIGHT just consider it if it turns out to run everything smooth as butter. I heard the entire interface is run by the GPU right? (right..? ).. That would put the CPU to better use with applications and cpu-benchmarks, but what about games/3dmark? It might just run faster with all the eye candy disabled (which I always do anyways), as you see the resultscomparison one of you made, and ofcourse things will run better when drivers start to mature.

Ryzen 9 3900X w/ NH-U14s on MSI X570 Unify
    32 GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733 CL14 (1.51v)
    RX 5700 XT w/ 2x 120mm fan mod (2 GHz)
    Tons of NVMe & SATA SSDs
    LG 27GL850 + Asus MG279Q
    Meshify C white

Xtreme Cruncher
    I heard you need a 64mb 3D Capable graphics card minimum to run vista
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Recruit
    Minimum, I think. 128MB+ recommended, though.

If I had a 1900XTX to beat Vista into submission, I'd be more tempted. Simply shoot down all the eye candy I don't want, and I'm sure it could be taken down a step or two.

Even then, though...damn.

Xtreme Member
    i have vista and i have to say i quite like it in the 3dmark side i found it gave me around 500points in 03 as soon as there is more support for the 64bit vista il put that on and test out some 64bit farcry tests and a few other benchmarks overall it will succeed xp and i have no doubt it will be a better operating system for people who have the right spec machine if you wish to complain about vista using lots of memeory then you have to look at it this way(upgrade) vista make much more use of the memory it uses and with its nice interface i find that it is very pleasing to use. vista is for the future and is based on being run on future machines so if ur on a xp2000 and have 256mb of ram then its not for you.

Banned
    I'm already planning my permanent migration to SuSe 10.0 x64 Edition. Buhbye M$!

Xtreme Member
    I like light weight. I'd still be on 98 if it had a bit of a re-work. Haven't tried 2k but sounds like it's worth a look. Might also try a unix based sytem some time soon on a spare hdd for a bit of a look.

Sys1. Air - Dothan 780ES | P4GD1 - Xtreme Systems Edition - VDD mod | Corsair TWINX 1GB (2x512MB) 3200 XL PRO 2-2-3-5| XFX 7800GT

(Heatware) (New online folio!)

Moral Police
    Vista don't make me laugh. They canceld WinFS (or well they poseponed it) ; for the not knowing win fs was a new filesystem they where going to use, was scrapped/iced/put on hold for unknown reasons last I heard

Avalon, the new security manager and stuff, had it main parts iced also. Most likly these features will come in a SP (how the hell they are going to incorporate a new filesystem in a servicepacks beats the living daylights outta me but...)

So for me, no to vista.

DRM's, just a bit of graphical bs added and no real reason for me to migrate. if it proves to rock at rendering and video editing and graphical work I might consider it but for now I'm good using XP pro and Win 2003

Xtreme Addict
    Ok I need some education here. I use xp pro with all the eyecandy turned off. So what you guys are saying is win2000 would still be faster than a slimed down xp with all the visual stuff and unnecessary services turned off?

Xtreme Addict
    I will not go near either Vista or AMD2 until the DRM/TC/Palladium/HDCP/Fritz chip issue has been dealt with.
    I'll stick with my Ultra-D and Opty 170 until -07...then all that crap should have been taken care of.
    GA-H55N-USB3
    i3-550 L008B555 @4.6GHz (1.36v)
    Sapphire HD 5850 @1GHz/1.3GHz (1.25v)
    GSkill ECO 4GB PC3-12800 @1.33GHz 6-6-6-20 1T (1.34v)

Xtreme Member
    I have the beta from Feb. 06' waiting for me at home right now, so I will be installing it this evening and see how things go.
    Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 4ghz
    2GB PC2-6400 @ 445/890 4, 4, 4, 12
    ATI HD4850 @ stock
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L
    El Cheapo 500w PSU with dual 12v rails
    16X DVD+/- R/W

Xtreme Member
    I've tried the beta. Its what xp was to 2k, just a shinier prettier version. No real new features, juts more overhead. I'll stick with 2k thanks.

As an engineer, I can't wait for Vista. XP/2000 has been out for so long now it's boring. Will the Vista platform be stable when it comes out? Probably yes. The biggest issues will be getting your old apps stable on the new platform. That always seems to take a year or so. While Mac and Linux are great, they just can't do everything that M$ can... including pay the bills.

Xtreme News Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangeman
    As an engineer, I can't wait for Vista. XP/2000 has been out for so long now it's boring. Will the Vista platform be stable when it comes out? Probably yes. The biggest issues will be getting your old apps stable on the new platform. That always seems to take a year or so. While Mac and Linux are great, they just can't do everything that M$ can... including pay the bills.
    I guess you missed this http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=93832

Xtreme CCIE
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangeman
    As an engineer, I can't wait for Vista.
    Well as a student I can't either. I also can't as a guy sitting down. Nor can I wait as a male with black hair. Why can't I wait as those things? Same reason you can't wait as an engineer I suppose...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle
    Thats just hilarious!

I have the vista beta 2 and yes, it does use around 500mb at idle, yes it is pretty to look at.

However all the built in security features designed for the computer illiterate makes me feel stupid just looking at it. Everything feels like its burried ten menu's deep and more hidden.

That being said ill probably upgrade if not atleast give it a try.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
    - Albert Einstein

Serra-
    I can wait as a guy sitting down or as a male with brown hair. I can wait as a gamer and as a web surfer. Personally, I'm more interested to see if Chemlawn can kill the weeds in my yard this year than the Vista launch.

Professionally, I'm excited. New OS means new hardware --> lots of billable hours. When you join the labor force you will understand.

Hello,

WinFS is imho really great file system. If you wish to find out more on it, I suppose you give a look at this info source, that contais some really useful info
    http://www.ntfs.com/

Xtreme Gentoo User
    Don't threadbump. Microsoft f**ked up big time dropping WinFS, that was the only feature in Vista that I thought would make me even consider using it, but it looks like I'm gonna be sticking to 2K/XP/*nix for another few years

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'll get it cause I am a sucker for new OS's. Even used Windows Millenium

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik
    I'll get it cause I am a sucker for new OS's. Even used Windows Millenium
    I'm the same way. I'll end up using it just because it's fun to play with the new MS operating systems. Eventually I'll turn all the visual stuff off and can hopefully make it as fast as my stripped down windows xp install.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast