Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install the AMD X2 drivers, hotfix, the correct way.

i have completed the hotfix, and installed new drivers. Windows is also reinstalled, not long ago.

So you think there is something wrong with my HW? Even tho videos and "google earth" (when gliding over the world and stuff) works perfectly? Just cant understand what does all this.. :s BTW, i did the hotfix, but didnt really see any differences with the performance...

Other clues?

I will try to reinstall windows in a few days. Just not yet :p

Xtreme Member

Exclamation

W3P

I highly doubt that its hardware. I highly suspect you did not install all the motherboard drivers and newest Nvidia drivers.... correctly..

1- Go to the Asus site and get the latest drivers for your motherboard. Chipset drivers. Install them. Reboot as needed.
    2- Go to the NVidia site and get the latest Vid card drivers and install them.
    3- Install the AMD dirvers and the MS hotfix.

You should be fine.
    Check your BIOS and make sure all is as it should be.
    2600k@4800mhz 1.4Vcore

Radeon HD4870
    Asus P67 Sabertooth

2 X Corsair Vengence DDR3 (2X4) 9-9-9-24
    Hauppauge TV
    Corsair Hydrocool200 EX
    Main drive Crucial C300 SSD.
    PWS: Seasonic Gold X 850W

But its said on the Nvidia site, that its recomended that i uninstall the prev. drivers before i install the new ones; is this for real, or just typical "to be on the safe side" kinda thing? I will try this tomorrow, as i live in Norway, and its getting kinda late :p thanks btw!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR
    Hey, i decided to make this thread since i was once in the need of some answers i had as to why my amd x2 was having problems with gaming, speed ups slow downs, sound familiar?....well im going to show you step by step how to install the drivers, hotfix, and several other things that need to be done. People often say that the amd drivers are used for Cool and Quiet only, that is not true, i speak from expierience as i have had the amd X2 cpu's since the first week of launch and have played around with them for 5 months already. Just follow these steps to get the best stability and performance from your amd x2 cpu.

PLEASE BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST!!

1 - Install the amd drivers, download it from here... http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._13118,00.html

2 - read this website and downlaod the hotfix....READ here http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256 ........Download here http://www.amdzone.com/files/WinXPdualcorehotfix.exe

3 - Edit your registry to enable the HOTFIX, follow these steps.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Right-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager, point to New, and then click Key.
    3. Type Throttle for the new key name.
    4. Right-click Throttle, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    5. Type PerfEnablePackageIdle for the value name.
    6. Right-click PerfEnablePackageIdle, and then click Modify.
    7. In the Edit DWORD Value box, type 1. In the Value data box, make sure that Hexadecimal is selected, and then click OK.
    8. Quit Registry Editor.

4 - Make sure your BOOT.ini has this command in it, /usepmtimer to check, right click on My Computer go to properties, click on the ADVANCE tab, then under startup and recovery click on settings, then click on EDIT....make sure your boot.ini looks like this

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

Finally your done, if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me, hopefully this will be a help to alot of people.

OK, since some people switch to single core after having issues with dual core, here is a simple way to remove the Hotfix and drivers.

1 - Uninstall the Hotfix, go into ad/remove programs, click on show updates and remove update numbered KB896256

2 - Reverse the registry entry.

3 - Uninstall the AMD drivers.

4 - Go into your boot.ini and remove /usepmtimer, and your done.
    I noticed noexecute=optin/fastdect/ is oppisite of what I have. Here's mine: /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimer??
    Is this just a mistake on your part or is something wrong with mine???

Second how do you know if your comp is running better with this fix?

Last questions,sorry for all these questions i'm a newbie and I just got my new pc and i'm not really technical with pc's at all. I know the basics here and there. well I pretty much followed the directions you provided for us. This is what I did: I install the amd patch first, restarted, then install the hot fix, then restarted it, then I install the registry key that some one already provided a zip file to make it easier on us (BIG thanks to NEED.FOR.MHZ that did that for us)? Is that it? do I need to restart my computer again after insatlling the registry key? And of course thanks to you for doing this for us. I had my new pc for couple of months and I never knew about this.
    Win 8.1 Pro
    MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower
    Patriot Viper 8gb @2400 MHz
    Intel I5-3570*** LGA 1155
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Crucial M500 240gb
    Asus Radeon 270x
    Antec 850W HCG
    Logitech MX 3000 & MX1000
    RW DVD/CD
    Provided by Blue Sun Corporation! LLAP!

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TVFREAKAZOID
    I noticed noexecute=optin/fastdect/ is oppisite of what I have. Here's mine: /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimer??
    Is this just a mistake on your part or is something wrong with mine???

Second how do you know if your comp is running better with this fix?

Last questions,sorry for all these questions i'm a newbie and I just got my new pc and i'm not really technical with pc's at all. I know the basics here and there. well I pretty much followed the directions you provided for us. This is what I did: I install the amd patch first, restarted, then install the hot fix, then restarted it, then I install the registry key that some one already provided a zip file to make it easier on us (BIG thanks to NEED.FOR.MHZ that did that for us)? Is that it? do I need to restart my computer again after insatlling the registry key? And of course thanks to you for doing this for us. I had my new pc for couple of months and I never knew about this.
    Hey, everyones boot.ini is unique to their own settings, also restarting is a good thing after installing anything but is not required for a registry entry, and your computer should be stutter free, thats how you should know if its working or not, also if you didnt have any issues it might be a little hard for you to notice any difference, take care.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne
    I am certainly no expert but I would think so, heres a copy of my the Pro version if its any help

[boot loader]
    timeout=0
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect /usepmtimer
    Wow your is different from mine. "noexecute=alwaysoff" mine is:"noexecute=OptIn" and your is "alwaysoff???

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimer
    Win 8.1 Pro
    MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower
    Crucial M500 240gb
    Asus Radeon 270x
    Antec 850W HCG
    RW DVD/CD

I'm also a n00b as they call it. Havn't upgraded my PC for years.

Anyway, I just got a AMD64x2 4200 and I'm totally shocked I need to do all this clowning around to get it to work properly. Thank god for the Xbox/360!

If you'll excuse me, because I'm all n00b I need to ask a few Q's to clear the fog out of my mind after reading all this steep learning curve type of stuff.

Q1. Why isn't this part of the regular windows update? Clearly it is a huge issue for all owners of these relatively new - but not that NEW processors. Surley this must be a major overhead for computer sellers & support staff needing to deal with many disgruntled owners. Further if it does become an automatic fix, how will we know ?!?

Q2. Does the Hotfix still load balance the cores even for single threaded processes? Or does each single threaded process stick to one core after this fix?

Q3. So is it a 0 or a 1 in the reg setting to enable the Hotfix? There seems to be conflicting reports here.

Q4. Do I keep the Cool&Cozy setting enabled in the bios, disabled, or it really matters not ?!?

Q5. Can I do a definitive test on the computer that it is indeed now working correctly without the need of games? I don't play games on PC, only on Xbox. I do utilise the pc for photographic & video work, as well as the eventual running of virtual machines.

Cheers,
    And much apreciate your patience,
    Muz
    Last edited by muzzakus; 04-05-2006 at 10:29 PM.

i need some help here, little lost. i just installed the (AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2 ) and that HotFix. but when i go to my taskbar it still dont display my two cpu. did i forgot to install a driver? or what i'm doing wrong?

Okay, a week ago, I upgraded to an Asus A8N-SLI, Athlon X2 3800+, and a BFG Geforce 7900GT.

Other than that I'm using:

Maxtor 100G SATA
    Ultra 550W PSU
    2x512mb Corsair XMS PC3200

I had an issue when I first booted into the WinXP cd, when I got to the "Press enter to continue the installation, press R to repair an installation" screen, the screen froze. I got around this by going to the SCSI/RAID screen, then going to that screen I froze at. I installed XP and everything was fine.

I unplugged and replugged in the cables for my SATA drive, and then booted into the winxp cd for the heck of it, and the freeze I had before didn't happen again.

I got into Windows, installed World of Warcraft, which I play religously. I noticed my character was skipping when rotating it, and I found in the WoW forums there was an issue with dual core processors and the game, that other people were experiencing slight choppiness ingame, the character stuttering, etc.

I wanted to try a different game to see if this was happening in other games, or just wow, so I went ahead and started up Half-life 2. I was noticing the half second freezes at times, then I got to the teleporter part at the very beginning, and during that sequence my screen froze and the sound stuttered, I alt tabbed out, then back in, which took ~10 seconds, and the freeze/stuttering stopped.

This led to this forum, someone posted the hotfix, that evidently helped a ton of people. I was noticing I had some choppiness in wow, my screen would freeze for a second periodically, so I installed the AMD Dual Core driver, then the hotfix. This did not help me, I still have these same issues. Now I'm noticing at times when I alt tab into, not OUT of, wow, my screen freezes and stutters for 7-8 seconds, then goes into the game.

I'm really at a loss what's going on now, I'm not sure whether this is a hardware malfunction, or something going on elsewhere I'm unaware of.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi! I have to ask you guys about something. How do i backup my registry?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyprex^^
    Hi! I have to ask you guys about something. How do i backup my registry?
    Start
    Run
    regedit [enter]
    File
    Export...
    Give it a name and click save...
    MOBO: Asus P5K Premium [0204 BIOS]
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad [Q6600 Kentsfield] @ 3.60GHz [L726B027] [1600MHz FSB]
    RAM: 4x 1GB Team Xtreem @ 1000MHz [4-4-4-10 - 2,20V]
    GFX: Sparkle 8800GT vGPU modded 512MB
    LCD1: 22" Samsung 226BW @ 1680*1050 2ms
    LCD2: 22" Samsung 226BW @ 1680*1050 2ms
    HDD 1+2: 2x WD Raptor 74GB S-ATA w/16MB @ Raid 0
    HDD 3+4: 2x 320GB Seagate S-ATA II - 7200.10
    HDD 5: 500GB Seagate S-ATA II - 7200.10
    DVD-ROM: Asus DVD-E616A
    DVD-RW: NEC 4571 - Labelflash
    SOUND: X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
    PSU: Enermax Liberty 620W
    CASE: Chieftec CA-01SL-SL-B
    SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5500 Digital

Xtreme Member
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9033,00.html

thats the link to the OPTY's drivers, but it doesnt say weather is single or dual core.
    Actually it does say for single or dual core: here I copied and pasted it for others:

AMD Opteron™ Processor PowerNow! Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2. - allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports single core and dual core Opteron processors on Windows 32 bit OS.

I hope this is the right driver I downloaded for my patch. Yo Garrett is this the right driver??? Just want to make sure.
    Win 8.1 Pro
    MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower
    Crucial M500 240gb
    Asus Radeon 270x
    Antec 850W HCG
    RW DVD/CD

Xtreme Member
    I have an Opteron 165. Do I need to do the hotfix? I'm pretty lost with the whole AMD driver thing as well. Say I just put together a new dual core system. From the beginning what do I need to do to make my dual core function to its peak ability?

Thanks,
    Jared
    Last edited by MaStA; 04-08-2006 at 10:48 AM.
    Motherboard - ASUS P8P67 Pro
    Processor - Intel i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz
    Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+
    Ram - 4GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600
    Video Card - Galaxy GTX 460
    PSU - Corsair TX750
    Case - Antec 1200

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MaStA
    I have an Opteron 165. Do I need to do the hotfix? I'm pretty lost with the whole AMD driver thing as well. Say I just put together a new dual core system. From the beginning what do I need to do to make my dual core function to its peak ability?

Thanks,
    Jared
    Follow the instructions on page 1 and you should be good to go.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzakus
    I'm also a n00b as they call it. Havn't upgraded my PC for years.

Anyway, I just got a AMD64x2 4200 and I'm totally shocked I need to do all this clowning around to get it to work properly. Thank god for the Xbox/360!

If you'll excuse me, because I'm all n00b I need to ask a few Q's to clear the fog out of my mind after reading all this steep learning curve type of stuff.

Q1. Why isn't this part of the regular windows update? Clearly it is a huge issue for all owners of these relatively new - but not that NEW processors. Surley this must be a major overhead for computer sellers & support staff needing to deal with many disgruntled owners. Further if it does become an automatic fix, how will we know ?!?

Q2. Does the Hotfix still load balance the cores even for single threaded processes? Or does each single threaded process stick to one core after this fix?

Q3. So is it a 0 or a 1 in the reg setting to enable the Hotfix? There seems to be conflicting reports here.

Q4. Do I keep the Cool&Cozy setting enabled in the bios, disabled, or it really matters not ?!?

Q5. Can I do a definitive test on the computer that it is indeed now working correctly without the need of games? I don't play games on PC, only on Xbox. I do utilise the pc for photographic & video work, as well as the eventual running of virtual machines.

Cheers,
    And much apreciate your patience,
    Muz
    if you dont play games you might not even notice anything is wrong, do the hotfix and drivers for insured stability, cool and quiet is useless, and it cant be an auto update because not everyone has dual core, and there is really no way to find out if all is good or not even after the fix, just use your pc and see if you get any strange problems, if not then your fine, good luck bud.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiggy
    i need some help here, little lost. i just installed the (AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2 ) and that HotFix. but when i go to my taskbar it still dont display my two cpu. did i forgot to install a driver? or what i'm doing wrong?
    Drivers do not enable or disable cores, that is a hardware issue, good luck.

Xtreme Member
    Drivers do not enable or disable cores, that is a hardware issue, good luck.
    Some people have said on other forums that the newest AMD driver has the hotfix. Is this not true?

Jared
    PSU - Corsair TX750
    Case - Antec 1200

Xtreme Member
    if you dont play games you might not even notice anything is wrong, do the hotfix and drivers for insured stability, cool and quiet is useless, and it cant be an auto update because not everyone has dual core, and there is really no way to find out if all is good or not even after the fix, just use your pc and see if you get any strange problems, if not then your fine, good luck bud.
    Microsoft said in the hotfix that they will have this problem fixed in the next service pack. You may not call it an auto update, but it surely will be included in the next service pack. Single core or not they will be able to have it incorporated in one service pack for all.

Jared
    PSU - Corsair TX750
    Case - Antec 1200

Xtreme Member
    Well I installed the AMD driver, hotfix, and made the regedit changes. That one line was already in my boot.ini file. Everything seems the same, but oh well at least I know it is running how it should now.

Thanks,
    Jared
    PSU - Corsair TX750
    Case - Antec 1200

i did it the way GAR wrote on the first post, but my UT2004 keeps showing "avg fps = 20" while "current fps=128" and it starts to stutter after some minute of playing.
    I have not only to close ut2004, but to restart the rig to get rid of it.

I have an X2 3800+, DFI nF4-SLiD with 623.3 bios, and XP PRO italian.

I found an italian dualcore hotfix, but maybe there is an updated version of this and i didn't see it.

Have anyone of you found a specific ITALIAN dualcore hotfix?

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTiG
    i did it the way GAR wrote on the first post, but my UT2004 keeps showing "avg fps = 20" while "current fps=128" and it starts to stutter after some minute of playing.
    I have not only to close ut2004, but to restart the rig to get rid of it.

I have an X2 3800+, DFI nF4-SLiD with 623.3 bios, and XP PRO italian.

I found an italian dualcore hotfix, but maybe there is an updated version of this and i didn't see it.

Have anyone of you found a specific ITALIAN dualcore hotfix?
    I think the fix is for english windows xp only, try setting the game to only 1 core, should fix your problem, good luck.

Omg, my winxp version has a different language than the hotfix. What do I do?!
    Last edited by Zyprex^^; 04-09-2006 at 11:35 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyprex^^
    Omg, my winxp version has a different language than the hotfix. What do I do?!
    Email MS, see if they have a hotfix for your lang, if not then you will have to wait for service pack 3, as this fix will be included in the update, good luck man.

Email MS, see if they have a hotfix for your lang, if not then you will have to wait for service pack 3, as this fix will be included in the update, good luck man.
    MS means microsoft? Thank you for the help

Can anyone give a link to the exact location of the DC hotfix on ms.com, plz?

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast