Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install the AMD X2 drivers, hotfix, the correct way.

Xtreme Guru

How to install the AMD X2 drivers, hotfix, the correct way.

Here is how to get your dual core AMD system running like it should with no hitches and stibility issues..............since the new AMD DUAL CORE OPTIMIZER came out people say you dont need the MS HOTFIX anymore, i dont know if this is true or not, but i tested these fixes with and without one another, and found they work better together, giving an increase in performance.....but thats from my personal expierience......try for yourself, i recomend installing both the MS HOTFIX and the AMD DUAL CORE OPTIMIZER, as they work good together and also give a performance increase by about 1-5%.

PLEASE BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST!!

1 - Install the amd drivers, download it from here... http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._13118,00.html

2 - read this website and download the hotfix....READ here http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256 ........Download here http://www.amdzone.com/files/WinXPdualcorehotfix.exe

3 - Edit your registry to enable the HOTFIX, follow these steps.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Right-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager, point to New, and then click Key.
    3. Type Throttle for the new key name.
    4. Right-click Throttle, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    5. Type PerfEnablePackageIdle for the value name.
    6. Right-click PerfEnablePackageIdle, and then click Modify.
    7. In the Edit DWORD Value box, type 1. In the Value data box, make sure that Hexadecimal is selected, and then click OK.
    8. Quit Registry Editor.

4 - Make sure your BOOT.ini has this command in it, /usepmtimer to check, right click on My Computer go to properties, click on the ADVANCE tab, then under startup and recovery click on settings, then click on EDIT....

5 - Install the NEW AMD Dual Core Optimizer.......from here.....http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html

Your Boot.ini should look something like this now..............

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

Finally your done, if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

Ok, here is a simple way to reverse the drivers...........

1 - Uninstall the Hotfix, go into ad/remove programs, click on show updates and remove update numbered KB896256

2 - Reverse the registry entry.

3 - Uninstall the AMD drivers.

4 - Uninstall the AMD Dual Core Optimizer.

5 - Done.
    Last edited by GAR; 07-06-2006 at 07:33 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Is this only for people who use the Cool N Quiet feature?
    Dell 2405FPW
    Lian Li PC-75B
    PCP&C 510 ASL
    DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert
    Opteron 180
    Chilly1 SS Phase Change
    2x512MB Mushkin Redline XP4000
    BFG 7800 GTX 256MB PCI-E
    2xWD 740GD RAID 0
    Maxtor 6B300S0
    Plextor PX-716SA
    Audigy 2 ZS
    Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1

Xtreme Member
    i think the same .. ony for C&Q users?

Xtreme Member
    he did say "it's not true" ... that it is only for C&Q... but from my own experience I do not have any problems not installing this hotfix when i'm not using C&Q....

so OP what is exactly the good thing about this hotfix if you don't use C&Q ?????
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 | Asus P5B Plus Vista Edition | OCZ PC2-8500 SLI EPP 4x1GB
    XFX 8800GTS 640MB | SilverStone Strider 560W | Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic

Xtreme Member
    what about for us opteron users? if we dont notice a performance lag, should we consider this? cuz like, all my stuff runs great so far.
    i has a aych dee thirtee ate sevin-d.
    and a puter.
    wif a screen.
    an mouse.
    hai.

Same question here : only for C&Q users?

Quote Originally Posted by the
    what about for us opteron users? if we dont notice a performance lag, should we consider this? cuz like, all my stuff runs great so far.
    You know the rule : If it works, don't fix it!

Nice sig BTW. I used to play Karateka a lot on my Apple IIe

E8600 --- Asus Maximus Formula Bios 1207 --- 2Gb Ballistix 8500
    HD 4870 ---Samsung Spinpoint P120 200Gb + Samsung 500Gb--- Audigy 2 ZS --- Corsair 620HX
    Lian-Li PC343 Modular case
    Swiftech based watercooling

Xtreme Guru
    No its not only for CnQ users, windows xp sp2 has issues, we all know, and if your dont have these drivers and the hotfix installed, you might get speed ups and slow downs after hours of gaming, like i did, and following these steps makes sure you never have to deal with it again, and after doing all these steps my gameplay was alot smoother than before, if your not having any issues i guess you dont need to do it, but i recommend anyone with a dual core cpu to follow these instructions to ensure best stability and performance, weather its a AMD X2 or a OPTERAN Dual Core.

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    I think this should be stickied. Good job

Xtreme Guru
    Thanks!!.....i hope it is

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks,

I attached .reg entry, inside of zipped archive. Extract it and double click it, and click "Yes" to add it to registry
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Q6600 3.6Ghz @ 1.276v | DFI LP LT P35 | Ballistix Tracer PC2-8500 600Mhz @ 2.074v | GeForce 260 GTX | Auzen X-Fi Prelude | PCP&C 750 | Arch Linux ~ WinXP
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 | DFI LANParty NF4 SLI-DR | 2x512MB G.SKILL PC3200 BH-5 | OCZ PowerStream 520W | Palit GeForce 9600 GT | Gentoo

Long Live DFI.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by need.for.mhz
    Thanks,

I attached .reg entry, inside of zipped archive. Extract it and double click it, and click "Yes" to add it to registry
    thanks that'l make it easier for people.

Xtreme Member
    I agree......this should be a "sticky".

Gar...i saw this over at guru. and thought it was some really good information to have.

been considering going to that same cpu x2 4400+ as you have...its good to see it will run 2.64...im hoping for 2.7..... for some reason that is my shoot for oc ...of course stable 2.8 is always good too.....but from what i have read ,it would seem that the x2 4400 is always good for that mid 2.6 area as an Avg.

printing this out inna few just to add to the list of "good info stickies" i have started saving.....

Flash
    I7 950
    EVGA760 Classified/EK Block
    6 gigs Dominator 2000CL8
    580GTX
    Corsair HX1000
    HAF 932
    EK 580GTX Block/ 2x EK Coolstream 240's
    4X Triebwerks SL's
    Apogee XT/ MCP 655

[/url]

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by flashnc
    I agree......this should be a "sticky".

Gar...i saw this over at guru. and thought it was some really good information to have.

been considering going to that same cpu x2 4400+ as you have...its good to see it will run 2.64...im hoping for 2.7..... for some reason that is my shoot for oc ...of course stable 2.8 is always good too.....but from what i have read ,it would seem that the x2 4400 is always good for that mid 2.6 area as an Avg.

printing this out inna few just to add to the list of "good info stickies" i have started saving.....

Flash
    Thanks alot!!.....yeah i posted it at Guru3d.com as well to help the fellas over there as well.

SLC
    wow fixed A LOT OF SH1T. None of my steam games would work properly before and I've spent about a month trying to figure out WTF is wrong. Thanks a million, now I can get back to my cs addiction.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Cool, if I remember right (7800 has been away for so long I forget what playing games is like ) my BF2 would always stutter with my X2.. I have a 165 now but I'll see what happens and if your fix works when my card comes back on wednesday
    Rig #1 | Opteron 165 (2898 @ 1.35v) | DFI nF4 Ultra-D | GSkill ZX 2x1GB | HIS X1900XT 512MB | Seasonic S12 550w in Antec P160

http://www.last.fm/user/repoman0/

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz
    wow fixed A LOT OF SH1T. None of my steam games would work properly before and I've spent about a month trying to figure out WTF is wrong. Thanks a million, now I can get back to my cs addiction.
    Glad to see its helping a few people

Xtreme Member
    I cant wait to try this out GAR! I've been having this slow down problem in CS. I have tried a few things but not this. I hope this will fix my prblem. Thanks for the post!

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshot
    I cant wait to try this out GAR! I've been having this slow down problem in CS. I have tried a few things but not this. I hope this will fix my prblem. Thanks for the post!
    no problem................one thing guys i forgot, in the MS site it says to put 0 so go ahead and put 0 after you apply the MS hotfix, sorry about that fellas.
    Last edited by GAR; 11-28-2005 at 06:38 PM.

Xtreme Member
    hey GAR, what drivers from the AMD site did you specifically use? i dont want to install useless drivers onto my computer.

great guide by the way
    CPU Intel E8400 4.3ghz (9x478), Poseidon WCL-04 Water Cooling | RAM Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2-8500 2x1gb | Motherboard Asus P5Q Deluxe | Graphics Card 512mb ASUS 9800GTX+ | Audio X-Fi XtremeMusic, Logitech Z-2300 | Power Supply Corsair HX620 | Case Antec 900 | Input Devices Razer ProClick, Logitech G15 | Display Device Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP, Samsung 226BW

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by aiya_au
    hey GAR, what drivers from the AMD site did you specifically use? i dont want to install useless drivers onto my computer.

great guide by the way
    Thanks....just to let you know this guide is for DUAL CORE cpu's only, AMD X2's Dual Core OPTERAN's.....for your device it would be the regular amd64 drivers on their website, enless you have a dual core cpu, make sure you download the AMD X2 drivers.
    Last edited by GAR; 11-28-2005 at 08:37 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    :Chant: Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky :End Chant:
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    AMD Deneb 3.4Ghz Black Edition
    Gigabyte Radeon HD5950 1GB
    Mushkin Redline 2x4GB DDR3 2133

Quote Originally Posted by afireinside View Post
    The ps2 was disappointing it's entire life and the ps3 is downright junk so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmad View Post
    No body is going to be writing games for the Cell.. no one has the time or developers that care. Thanks to SONY, the Cell is already history.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR
    Thanks....just to let you know this guide is for DUAL CORE cpu's only, AMD X2's Dual Core OPTERAN's.....for your device it would be the regular amd64 drivers on their website, enless you have a dual core cpu, make sure you download the AMD X2 drivers.
    i'll be getting a 4400+ next week. so is this the driver i need from the AMD site? "AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2.2"
    CPU Intel E8400 4.3ghz (9x478), Poseidon WCL-04 Water Cooling | RAM Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2-8500 2x1gb | Motherboard Asus P5Q Deluxe | Graphics Card 512mb ASUS 9800GTX+ | Audio X-Fi XtremeMusic, Logitech Z-2300 | Power Supply Corsair HX620 | Case Antec 900 | Input Devices Razer ProClick, Logitech G15 | Display Device Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP, Samsung 226BW

Xtreme Member
    Gar, Thanks a bunch. This worked for me. CS was smooth like butter the whole 3 hours I was playing last night. Prior to this, CS would get progressively choppier the longer I played. I recommend anybody with Gaming problems to try this.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshot
    Gar, Thanks a bunch. This worked for me. CS was smooth like butter the whole 3 hours I was playing last night. Prior to this, CS would get progressively choppier the longer I played. I recommend anybody with Gaming problems to try this.
    Sweet!!!!!!!

WARNING

I tried it and it killed my XP install, continous reboot before the windows boot screen. Had to Ghost back. AMD driver install went okay, the MS hotfix killed it (why am I not surprised!)

Just to be clear do you set the DWORD value at 1 or 0, and would this make a difference to my result?

System is not overclocked, I do have a lot of services turned off though.
    QX9650 @ 4.4G 1760 FSB 10 x multi
    ASUS Striker II Formula
    2G OCZ Reaper 8500 @ 880 MHZ 4,3,3,10 1T
    Everything Watercooled
    4 x WDR 150G Raid 0
    2 x 8800 GTX @ 650/2050 water cooling
    1 x 1000W Galaxy 1 x OCZ 850 PSU

Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast