Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42

Thread: Benching SuperPi tweaks @32M

  1. #1
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,060

    Benching SuperPi tweaks @32M

    I'm going to bench a lot of those so called 'tweaks' and see if they actually make a difference in SuperPi 32M
    I'm gonna use XPLite, X-Setup 7.2 and some tweaks in the sticky.
    Before I start, I wanna know if anyone has any tweaks they wanna see benched @ 32M?
    BTW, I'm using a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP2 for this.
    I already disabled unnecessairy services, so we won't see the effect of that, I'm sorry


    Ok, first run, this is without tweaks (except for disabled services)



    XPLite did a decent job, it shaved 11 seconds (don't know if this within the margin of error) and it freed >200MB harddisk space, and that is the main purpose of this program.



    Another update, testing the DisablePagingExecutive=1 tweak, of which all tweak experts say that it doesn't make any difference. Because of that, I reran this test 3x and I reran it 3x without the tweak, to make sure my results weren't an error or something screwing up. It shaved 2 seconds off. Quite funny, if I disable it, I always get 29min 51sec, if I enable it I always get 29min 49sec. It seems SuperPi 32M doens't have a margin of error and always shows the same results for the same settings (I like that, it makes my benches more accurate!)



    Going to test with a registry cleaner, it won't do too much right now, since this is a fresh install, but we'll see...
    Using this one http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html
    EDIT: RegCleaner is a POS, it added 5 seconds

    Pretty weard huh, deleting obsolete values in a registry makes it slower, that doenst make sence
    Maybe some other stuff slipped in by installing it...
    Well, all I can say is, don't use RegCleaner, because once you deleted those values and you (like it did, stupidstupid me ) deleted it's backup files, there is no way of adding them again.


    The LargeSystemCache=1 did a wonderfull job
    It shaved 1min and 27sec off, but yesterday, before I undid this tweak, and redid it, I shaved even 10 seconds more Too bad, but still, this is, untill now, the best tweak you can do!



    JochenP
    Last edited by Jochenp; 11-29-2005 at 06:52 AM.

  2. #2
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,060
    *Reserved for future posting*
    You never know how fast I'll exceed the image limit
    (and no, this isn't spam posting for a higher post count)

  3. #3
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,060
    *Reserved for future posting*
    You never know how fast I'll exceed the image limit
    (and no, this isn't spam posting for a higher post count)

  4. #4
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,060
    Sorry lads, I'm gonna redo the benches , my system wasn't fully overclocked, and I want to make these benches as accurate as possible.
    Last edited by Jochenp; 11-27-2005 at 10:15 AM.

  5. #5
    XS_THE_MACHINE
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,871
    Your also gonna want to include a cpuz shot and an A64 tweaker shot to show us that you didnt cheat (I beleive you, but others might just say you raised clocks). Also, why not make the pics like thumbnails instead so that modem people can see this also. I cant wait to see the results.
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

    clicks to save kids

  6. #6
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,060
    K, thnx for the feed-back.
    For more than 2 years now, I wanted to see an actual benchmark-comparison between all of these tweaks.
    Since I never saw one, I decided to make one myself.

  7. #7
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,060
    DisablePagingExecutive=1 update

  8. #8
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,060
    Very strange indeed, comparing my screenshots, I see that after every tweak, my 'available real memory' decreases, and I rebooted everytime, so I don't know how this happpened
    It went from 802893824 to 725753856 (comparing first to last screenshot).
    Does anyone have an explanation for this strange behaviour?
    Last edited by Jochenp; 11-28-2005 at 08:40 AM.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    68
    I have to ask the question... Overclocking and tweaking the hardware to get better scores makes sense. I have been overclocking since 1997, so I get that.

    But tweaking the OS and the test itself, does that make sense?

    What I mean, is that tweaking my bike by altering the gearing, changing the exhaust and remapping the FI system to take my 10.74s 1/4 mile down a tad, is like overclocking. But I am not altering the track. I still have to run the same 1/4 mile track as the other guys, at the same altitude, same temperature and relative humidity.

    The track does not change, and it is therefore the control factor, the constant that tells us who's bike is fastest.

    If I change the track, or test/OS in order to improve my score, doesn't that make the score kinda irrelevant? If I modified the track and beat the other bike, unless he is on that very same track with the same track "tweaks" that I had, any comparison between our results is kinda meaningless.

    I was just curious what other people thought if this. I have always been for benchmarking, but not when it involves tweaking the app or the OS. That means that it is not an apples to apples comparison, and so my score of 27 seconds means nothing compared to your score of 32 seconds in SuperPI.

    I see a lot of people tweaking systems and their OS to the max to get a better score, but doesn't that process make many of those score irrelevant?

    It is almost like saying that your bike ran a 1/8 mile faster than mine did a 1/4. Does that make your bike faster?

    Thoughts?
    Coolermaster Centurion5/Antec Neo 550 HE
    Abit AN8-SLI/Opteron 175 dual-core(2.5Ghz,250fsb)
    1GBx2 Patriot Extreme Performance PC3200 DDR
    2 x Geforce 7800GTX in SLI
    Creative Labs X-Fi/Logitech Z680 speakers
    74GB WD Raptor/Hitachi 400GB SATA
    Samsung 16x Dual-Layer DVDRW/Liteon 16X DVDROM
    Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20.1" widescreen flat panel

  10. #10
    you don't change the track, you change your tyres, brakes and so on. Changing the track would be changing your benchprogram.

    tweaking is just a part of overclocking
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by massman
    you don't change the track, you change your tyres, brakes and so on. Changing the track would be changing your benchprogram.

    tweaking is just a part of overclocking
    No, I think that when you alter the OS, you are not altering the car, but rather the environment that it runs under.

    So let's say that the track(benchmark) is the same, but you lower gravity(OS/Environment)... When you compare to someone else running normal gravity... is the comparison valid?

    I am talking more philosophically here. For any comparison to have merit, you need a control. You need to run the identical test on two different hardware configs. When you change the OS, you alter the test itself in a way. Now it it no longer about hardware, but who can alter the OS more than the other guy.

    I see threads where guys have 55mb WinXP installs with all sorts of stuff ripped out in order to get a higher number, and all I am saying, is does that number actually mean anything when you have to go to such lengths to get it?

    I always ran benchmarks on an real everyday system. Tweak the hardware out to the max, but if the system is not stable and it is not the settings that I use on a daily basis, then I never considered my scores valid.

    Like guys posting benchmark scores when the 3Dmark graphics are corrupted with artifacts. You would never game that way, so why would such a score even be considered valid?

    This is not intended to start a huge debate, I was just curious about the mindset that many people have towards getting higher benchmark scores. I wondered if people realized that in the pursuit of getting a higher number, that they might render that number meaningless.
    Coolermaster Centurion5/Antec Neo 550 HE
    Abit AN8-SLI/Opteron 175 dual-core(2.5Ghz,250fsb)
    1GBx2 Patriot Extreme Performance PC3200 DDR
    2 x Geforce 7800GTX in SLI
    Creative Labs X-Fi/Logitech Z680 speakers
    74GB WD Raptor/Hitachi 400GB SATA
    Samsung 16x Dual-Layer DVDRW/Liteon 16X DVDROM
    Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20.1" widescreen flat panel

  12. #12
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA
    No, I think that when you alter the OS, you are not altering the car, but rather the environment that it runs under.

    So let's say that the track(benchmark) is the same, but you lower gravity(OS/Environment)... When you compare to someone else running normal gravity... is the comparison valid?

    I am talking more philosophically here. For any comparison to have merit, you need a control. You need to run the identical test on two different hardware configs. When you change the OS, you alter the test itself in a way. Now it it no longer about hardware, but who can alter the OS more than the other guy.

    I see threads where guys have 55mb WinXP installs with all sorts of stuff ripped out in order to get a higher number, and all I am saying, is does that number actually mean anything when you have to go to such lengths to get it?

    I always ran benchmarks on an real everyday system. Tweak the hardware out to the max, but if the system is not stable and it is not the settings that I use on a daily basis, then I never considered my scores valid.

    Like guys posting benchmark scores when the 3Dmark graphics are corrupted with artifacts. You would never game that way, so why would such a score even be considered valid?

    This is not intended to start a huge debate, I was just curious about the mindset that many people have towards getting higher benchmark scores. I wondered if people realized that in the pursuit of getting a higher number, that they might render that number meaningless.
    Just keep in mind, that if tweaks increase your benchmark number, they'll probably increase you reallife performance too

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Jochenp
    Just keep in mind, that if tweaks increase your benchmark number, they'll probably increase you reallife performance too
    Well. that's debatable. Many times one person or reviewer claims that one PC is faster than the other, when the real truth is that there is no real-world difference between them... It takes some synthetic benchmark to spit our a number to let us know that there is a 2% difference.

    I even stopped overclocking as much as I used to, because the real world benefits hit the wall of diminishing returns. Fast parts are so cheap these days, that the idea of adding heat and possible instability just to get a higher arbitrary score in a given benchmark no longer seemed worth my time.

    In the old days, it could mean the difference between a game being playable or choppy. Now it is the difference between 98fps and 110fps. No difference at all. And as for tweaking out a CPU to calculate PI, well, I am a gamer, so the video card makes the biggest difference. Going from a 2Ghz CPU to a 4Ghz CPU really would not make a difference in gaming performance. Not really. I do not play at a resolution that would have me CPU limited. Might make a couple fps difference, but without some benchmark telling me there is a difference, I would never know.

    Possibly it is just that it got boring. Overclocking used to be a challenge and it was good to do it because not everyone could afford the $1100 top Intel CPU. Now you can get a dual-core 3Ghz chip for a couple hundred bucks. Sorta takes the fun, and need out of it.
    Coolermaster Centurion5/Antec Neo 550 HE
    Abit AN8-SLI/Opteron 175 dual-core(2.5Ghz,250fsb)
    1GBx2 Patriot Extreme Performance PC3200 DDR
    2 x Geforce 7800GTX in SLI
    Creative Labs X-Fi/Logitech Z680 speakers
    74GB WD Raptor/Hitachi 400GB SATA
    Samsung 16x Dual-Layer DVDRW/Liteon 16X DVDROM
    Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20.1" widescreen flat panel

  14. #14
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,060
    This freaking regcleaner is a POS, it raised my score by 5 seconds, it should burn in hell for that, now let's test LargeSystemCache=1, which seems promising.

  15. #15
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA
    Well. that's debatable. Many times one person or reviewer claims that one PC is faster than the other, when the real truth is that there is no real-world difference between them... It takes some synthetic benchmark to spit our a number to let us know that there is a 2% difference.

    I even stopped overclocking as much as I used to, because the real world benefits hit the wall of diminishing returns. Fast parts are so cheap these days, that the idea of adding heat and possible instability just to get a higher arbitrary score in a given benchmark no longer seemed worth my time.

    In the old days, it could mean the difference between a game being playable or choppy. Now it is the difference between 98fps and 110fps. No difference at all. And as for tweaking out a CPU to calculate PI, well, I am a gamer, so the video card makes the biggest difference. Going from a 2Ghz CPU to a 4Ghz CPU really would not make a difference in gaming performance. Not really. I do not play at a resolution that would have me CPU limited. Might make a couple fps difference, but without some benchmark telling me there is a difference, I would never know.

    Possibly it is just that it got boring. Overclocking used to be a challenge and it was good to do it because not everyone could afford the $1100 top Intel CPU. Now you can get a dual-core 3Ghz chip for a couple hundred bucks. Sorta takes the fun, and need out of it.
    In my case, overclocking is almost necessairy to play the newest games at decent settings. It makes the difference between running CS:S @1024*768 2AA 2AF No HDR @ 80FPS stresstest or @1024*768 6AA 6AF Full HDR @ 95FPS stresstest, so it makes it worthwile for me. Normally SuperPi doens't interest me a lot, to be honest, this thread was the first time I ran SuperPi 32M.
    But I just bugs mee that people who are 'tweaking' their OS just apply tweaks explained on site's without even caring to see the actual numbers behind it. The only way to proove that one settings is faster than another is running a benchmark. Since 3DMark01 is the only benchmark where CPU and Memory performance make a big difference, I first thought running this as comparison. But 3DMark01 has such a big margin of error, that my results would be very inaccurate. So then SuperPi popped in my mind. If these tweaks do anything, they should at least show some improvement in calculating Pi to fill 32MB, now shouldn't they? And SuperPi almost hasn't got a margin of error, so it seemed perfect to me for this job.
    After all these 'tweaks' I will see if they make any difference in CS:S stresstest, and if they don't I'll just undo em all with system restore and be happy with the thought that my OS still has all funtions a non-overclocked system would have...

    JochenP

  16. #16
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Durham University, UK
    Posts
    1,204
    How do you set this largesystemcache=1 and disablepagingexecutive = 1 ?

    The rig
    CPUs: E6300 ES B0 @ 3220 MHz w/1.35v orthos stable | E6600 B2 @ 3400 MHz w/1.43v --> Sold | Xeon 3050 L2 @ 3304 MHz w/1.45v orthos stable
    MoBo: Asus P5K-E WiFi-AP @ 520 x * orthos stable
    Graphics: 256 MB Connect 3D Radeon X1900XT @ 661/828 (core/mem)
    RAM: 2 x 1 GB Team Xtreem PC2 5300 @ DDR1010 4-4-4-8 / DDR1100 5-5-5-12 w/2.25v orthos stable
    HDDs: 300 GB (16 MB Cache) and 80 GB Maxtor Diamondmax 10 drives
    Optical: NEC ND3500AG DVD +/- RW
    PSU: Antec True Power 2.0 550W
    H2O
    Swiftech MCR220-QP | Laing D5 | AquaXtreme MP-05 Pro LE | DangerDen Maze 4 LP | 2 x 120mm NoiseBlocker SX1 fans
    Lappy
    MSI MS1022 14.1" Widescreen Barebone | Celeron-M 360 1.4 GHz @ 1.86 GHz / Pentium M 715A | GeForce 6200 Go | 80 GB Fujitsu HDD | Sony DVD +/- RW
    Waiting for
    Nehalem

  17. #17
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,060
    Google est ton ami!
    It's a basic tweak so I didn't think I needed to put this in my thread, but I will if a lot of people don't know how to do em.

  18. #18
    Xtreme X.I.P.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    4,237
    i wanna know more about largesystem cache, is it recomended for 24/7 use??

    where is it on the registry??

    you could add a task manager shot to see the disbled process


    p.d also update your amd64 tweaker its on v0.6 now

    also check this link we have a small guide to optimize super pi chw super pi guide


    hope this helps a bit

    LargeSystemCache is the one of the two registry settings manipulated by the Control Panel dialog not available in NT Workstation. If you turn on LargeSystemCache=1, assuming you have 96MB+ RAM, then you should see a significant performance boost for CPU and AV intensive applications but little or no improvement for I/O bound applications. I would use 128MB and 256MB as minimums for Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro, respectively.

    Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager
    Key: Memory Management
    Name: LargeSystemCache
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 0 or 1
    Last edited by metro.cl; 11-29-2005 at 09:06 AM.

  19. #19
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,060
    Thnx for the info, but could you translate some of that in english for me please?
    I know there is a version 0.60, but i like this one better (more stable if ou ask me)

  20. #20
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    France
    Posts
    194
    Dis you use Ramdisk? Writing on the ram instead of the HDD will help you for sure

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA
    Well. that's debatable. Many times one person or reviewer claims that one PC is faster than the other, when the real truth is that there is no real-world difference between them... It takes some synthetic benchmark to spit our a number to let us know that there is a 2% difference.

    I even stopped overclocking as much as I used to, because the real world benefits hit the wall of diminishing returns. Fast parts are so cheap these days, that the idea of adding heat and possible instability just to get a higher arbitrary score in a given benchmark no longer seemed worth my time.

    In the old days, it could mean the difference between a game being playable or choppy. Now it is the difference between 98fps and 110fps. No difference at all. And as for tweaking out a CPU to calculate PI, well, I am a gamer, so the video card makes the biggest difference. Going from a 2Ghz CPU to a 4Ghz CPU really would not make a difference in gaming performance. Not really. I do not play at a resolution that would have me CPU limited. Might make a couple fps difference, but without some benchmark telling me there is a difference, I would never know.

    Possibly it is just that it got boring. Overclocking used to be a challenge and it was good to do it because not everyone could afford the $1100 top Intel CPU. Now you can get a dual-core 3Ghz chip for a couple hundred bucks. Sorta takes the fun, and need out of it.
    to be honest, I just overclock to benchmark a few times and then set everything stock, because I don't game very much, so I don't need a fully overclocked pc. But if I bench, it's pure a hobby, so I want to be as good as possible
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by massman
    to be honest, I just overclock to benchmark a few times and then set everything stock, because I don't game very much, so I don't need a fully overclocked pc. But if I bench, it's pure a hobby, so I want to be as good as possible
    Well, that's what I was trying to ascertain. I see some pretty exotic tweaks and lenghts that people go to just to get a couple artificial points in some obscure benchmark, and wondered why. I will tweak and overclock if needed in order to get better performance for some real world task that I want to use my PC for, but to get liquid nitrogen cooling, running the system outside of a case and running a hacked and modded OS, just to get a higher number on what amounts to a long division equation... well, it just seems strange to me. hehehe
    Coolermaster Centurion5/Antec Neo 550 HE
    Abit AN8-SLI/Opteron 175 dual-core(2.5Ghz,250fsb)
    1GBx2 Patriot Extreme Performance PC3200 DDR
    2 x Geforce 7800GTX in SLI
    Creative Labs X-Fi/Logitech Z680 speakers
    74GB WD Raptor/Hitachi 400GB SATA
    Samsung 16x Dual-Layer DVDRW/Liteon 16X DVDROM
    Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20.1" widescreen flat panel

  23. #23
    Xtreme X.I.P.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    4,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinuza
    Dis you use Ramdisk? Writing on the ram instead of the HDD will help you for sure

    thats the idea.

    for the translation maybe you could use google language tools then i can help you with the ones that you still dont understand

  24. #24
    Dr. / Professor
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Phoenix,USA
    Posts
    758
    @squireSCA, the Pi program is the track. "The track does not change, and it is therefore the control factor, the constant that tells us who's bike is fastest." Tweaking the hardware and software it runs on is like the areodynamics of your helmet, modding the bike and being able to cut a good light. *****Well, that's what I was trying to ascertain. I see some pretty exotic tweaks and lenghts that people go to just to get a couple artificial points in some obscure benchmark, and wondered why. I will tweak and overclock if needed in order to get better performance for some real world task that I want to use my PC for, but to get liquid nitrogen cooling, running the system outside of a case and running a hacked and modded OS, just to get a higher number on what amounts to a long division equation... well, it just seems strange to me. hehehe *** It is just something to do. Going 130+ mph in a quarter mi. might seem strange to some as well.
    Last edited by coop; 11-30-2005 at 05:21 PM.
    8 hrs Prime @ 4500 (9x500) DDR-1200
    9.59 32m Pi @ 4810 (8.5x566)
    9.59 32m Pi @ 4gb DDR 1248
    700 Club @ 7 x 585 CPU-Z Val
    Prime @ 542 x 7 (4 hrs 1.28v)
    32m 5006 (9.48)

    OC Formula 3770k-dl G.Skill 2666 C10 Galaxy 660Ti 3gb Apogee HD PlextorM5P xfx p850
    MVF 3770k Team 2600 C10 xfx 7850 2gb xspc RayStorm HyperX 3k Hyper 730
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P e8500 Crucial 8500 khx9600 evga 9800gtx PCP&C 610 H20 by Coop




  25. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by coop
    Going 130+ mph in a quarter mi. might seem strange to some as well.
    No way man, that rocks. Besides, doing a wicked fast 1/4 mile on a bike is more likely to get you laid than breaking 25s in SuperPI. ;-)
    Coolermaster Centurion5/Antec Neo 550 HE
    Abit AN8-SLI/Opteron 175 dual-core(2.5Ghz,250fsb)
    1GBx2 Patriot Extreme Performance PC3200 DDR
    2 x Geforce 7800GTX in SLI
    Creative Labs X-Fi/Logitech Z680 speakers
    74GB WD Raptor/Hitachi 400GB SATA
    Samsung 16x Dual-Layer DVDRW/Liteon 16X DVDROM
    Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20.1" widescreen flat panel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •