Thread: Cold Pipes?

Xtreme Member

Cold Pipes?

Hi,

Im wondering if you were to connect the cold side of a peltier to a heatpipe heatsink (silent tower) would it conduct the cold through the pipes allowing the fans attached to blow cold air (there is method in my maddness) ?
    I7 Processor on phase 5.5ghz

Xtreme X.I.P.
    what are you going to use to cool the hot side of the peltier ?

IMO you would be much better off using the peltier on a cold plate to cool the cpu and use the silent tower with high cfm fans to cool the peltier.
    24/7 Work & Play Rig
    Gigabyte X58A-UD5, i7 920 @ 4.56ghz 1.48v 21x217, G.Skill PI 12Gb 8-8-8-24-1T 1.56V @ 1736Mhz
    EK Supreme HF P1, Dual EK DCP 4.0 Pumps and EK Res, XSPC RX360 & RX240 w/ 1850rpm GT's
    Sapphire HD 4870 1Gb @ 810/1020mhz, 2x Dell 2407, 2x 1Tb WD Black SATA3, 2x 2Tb Hitachi 7k2000
    Cooler Master ATCS 840, Corsair 750TX PSU, running OSX 10.6.3 & Win 7 64

Xtreme Member
    hot side of pelt will be on a 120 -3 rad + 1250 pump (this is all stuff i dont use any more but want to use as a case cooler hence the use of the sonic tower. anyone know if pipe will conduct cold?

c[_]
    if it has water in it - no.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    can you clarify that Stevil - please bear in mind the sonic tower is stock, just mated to a pelt (hot side cooling is irrelevant). Whats inside the 'heat' pipes?

Moral Police
    peltiers are just tubes with a gass in them. This gass boils at a low temperature so the gass transports heat verry quickly. Now if the pipes are filled with low pressure watervapor this will not work because the "water" in them, the vapor will just liquify instead of boiling.

So only "real" gasses will be able to transport the heat, watervapor will just liquify.

BTW it's a lot better to just use the pelt to cool things down and the waterpump to cool down the pelt

if you are looping, I suggest you put the GPU BEFORE the pelt.

the heatpipe sink would need two "plates" one for the chip, and one for the pelt - the fins arent thick enough for the peltier to help much. you need a good connection between the pipes and the pelt for it to have a chance.

Xtreme Member
    cheer, thanks for the info , did a bit more reading , seems like its mostly low pressure water in the average heatpipe setup so it wont work. prolly just bolting a big old set of fins to the pelt and running fans over it would work better.

as for the pelt etc its all spare, i just thought id finally get round to trying a sort of case cooler running outside the case and pumping in cold air as my cpu gpu are on phase and my nb is on a water chiller (see my avatar).