Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus A8N32-SLI initial impression....WOW!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Has any measured the voltages with a DMM or scope?

Xtreme Member
    Very nice results Ben, very nice indeed.

Yeah, traz2k and I both have dual core cpu's. Mines an X2 4800 and his is an Opt 175.

What we need is someone who has both dual and single core cpu's to test vcore limits with the board.

If they can get over 1.58v with the single core but get stuck at 1.58 limit with the dual core then we will have a definitive answer that dual cores limit the vcore max to 1.58v with this board.

Hope someone can do this test for all of us here so we can finally get the whole picture clear.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lowdog
    Very nice results Ben, very nice indeed.

Yeah, traz2k and I both have dual core cpu's. Mines an X2 4800 and his is an Opt 175.

What we need is someone who has both dual and single core cpu's to test vcore limits with the board.

If they can get over 1.58v with the single core but get stuck at 1.58 limit with the dual core then we will have a definitive answer that dual cores limit the vcore max to 1.58v with this board.

Hope someone can do this test for all of us here so we can finally get the whole picture clear.

I will be able to do that with a 3800x2 and a 3700, but I won't have my board until tue or wed., but I will post results as soon as i get them.

Xtreme Addict
    Okay you guys are upsetting me now lol I just bought the An8 SLi premium because I thought the only diference was going to be the PCI-e speeds and that this wouldn't make much speed difference. Is it worth me upgrading so soon? Currently running AMD64 3500, I plan on buying AMD64 x 2 4200......rest of kit is storm waterblock 1/2 tubing,thermochill PA120 rad,1GB ballistix PC3200, 2 x ASUS EN 7800GTX,X-fi fatality 3x 36GB 15,000 rpm raid, seasonic S12 600W. Can I fit 2 PCI cards in?
    Last edited by RADCOM; 11-19-2005 at 03:35 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ben805
    No sweat....plenty of room for 1 PCI card on slot# 2, the Asus SLI bridge is much longer than DFI's and there's plenty of room in between, it's definitely not like the picture shown by mdzcpa I highly doubt the Asus engineer would left out the slot clearance measurement

yeah man but your card seems to be skinnyer compared to the ones that guy posted. i think your two cards will allow room for the sound card... good review man keep it cooming...

peace perc,

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cronic
    I will be able to do that with a 3800x2 and a 3700, but I won't have my board until tue or wed., but I will post results as soon as i get them.

Great and thanks, your a legend.

If you try the 3700 first and get over 1.6vcore then you'll know the board is fine. Then if the dual core won't go over 1.58vcore then we'll know the truth of the matter.

Thanks from me and I'm sure everyone else will greatly appreciate your efforts as well.

Well i just realised i will be taking my rebuilt supra past a PC store that is open all weekend :P. Going to pickup the cheapest s939 single core i can find and see how it goes.

Banned
    Great and thanks, your a legend.

If you try the 3700 first and get over 1.6vcore then you'll know the board is fine. Then if the dual core won't go over 1.58vcore then we'll know the truth of the matter.

Thanks from me and I'm sure everyone else will greatly appreciate your efforts as well.
    No problem bud, I just wish I had the board now. Someone will probably have this figured out by the time mine gets here on tue-wed. but if not, I will.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trza2k
    Well i just realised i will be taking my rebuilt supra past a PC store that is open all weekend :P. Going to pickup the cheapest s939 single core i can find and see how it goes.
    Excellent.........now where's the results! (j/k)

Hurry up there I need to be assured my boards not defective and it's just a limitation imposed by bios for dual cores.

Well i put in a 3200+ and i am able to give more then 1.58volts now. I tried 1.70volts and it worked fine.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well i put in a 3200+ and i am able to give more then 1.58volts now. I tried 1.70volts and it worked fine.
    hrm, that is NOT what I wanted to hear... oh well, let's see if the trend continues.
    ALIENS are bringing my next kentsfield based rig in a UFO case!

Quote Originally Posted by fareastgq
    hrm, that is NOT what I wanted to hear... oh well, let's see if the trend continues.
    Well hopefully i bios update can fix this.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by madpete

What ram are you running Ben? I noticed it was a 2gb kit, is it Crucial Z503 by any chance?, I 'm planning on getting me some soon and would be interested to know how it does on this board.

glad your board is up and running too man, and yea I have the Ballistix

man I guess my theory was right and that really sucks, Asus probably thought the dual core must run much hotter than single core so they capped the vcore as soon as it detect it as dual core to prevent people from frying their chip, what about those dual core owner who has WC and Phase Change?? but hey man can you do me a favor and check the maxtcase on your dual core whenever you have a chance? I would like lowdog to check it as well, we must find a way to get around it
    Core i7 920 D0 3844A717 4.40Ghz HT on @1.36v (LinX/Prime/3D stable), Corsair 850W, 12GB OCZ Platinum 1600, P6T Deluxe V2, EVGA GTX 285 SS, OCZ Vortex SSD 30GB x3 RAID0, HAF 932.
    Water Cooling Setup: XSPC RX360, MCP355 + XSPC Res Top, Swiftech GTZ, 1/2" Tygon, Scythe S-Flex SFF21F push, 20mm yateloon D12SL-12C pull.

Opteron 148 CABNE 0528 GPMW 3.1Ghz @1.6v Prime Stable. Westy 37" LVM-37W3, DFI Venus 975, 2GB TeamX Cronus Micron, GSkill HZ, Sapphire X1900XTX, Zippy 700W, X-Fi Xtrememusic, 36GB Raptors x2 @Raid-0.
    WC Setup: PA120.3 +Shroud, MCP655, STORM, MCW60, 1/2" Tygon, mini res, Yate Loon.

Well sorry guys looks like i was mistaken. This 3200+ cpu seems to be limited to 1.648v according to HW monitor. I was slowly testing to 1.70 and must of quickly and not even bothered to check the HW monitor correctly.

I'm going to try and downgrade the bios and try again.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ben805
    ... if you can measure the thickness of your GTX from one end to the other (pcb to heatsink) then I certainly can try to simulate one and calculate how much room left between the GPU heatsink and the soundcard on PCI slot# 2
    The widest point of the video card with 2-slot cooler (NV Silencer in my case) is 2.1". There is about .5" space between two SLI cards and another .5" between the second vid card and the sound card. Could you measure how much room between the second PCI-e slot and the last PCI slot?

Here's a pic of my system to show how things are placed in the chasis.
    Last edited by SamHughe; 11-20-2005 at 08:53 AM.

Well sorry guys looks like i was mistaken. This 3200+ cpu seems to be limited to 1.648v according to HW monitor. I was slowly testing to 1.70 and must of quickly and not even bothered to check the HW monitor correctly.

I'm going to try and downgrade the bios and try again.
    Dropped to 502 bios and can confirm the same deal. 3200+ is infact limited to 1.648volts. So i gather ASUS has inforced some limits on certain cpus.

ben805/madpete can you confirm you actually see more then 1.648v in the hardware monitor. I'm geting a little frustrated with this board!

Xtreme Member
    Here you go.

X2 4800
    CCBWE
    0532UPMW

CPUID: 20F32
    APICID: 0
    Revision: JH9-E6
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ [Toledo]
    Speed: 2407.30 [200.61 x 12]
    Platform: Socket 939
    VCore: 1.35v
    MaxTCase: 59C
    TDP: 85.0Watts

Xtreme Enthusiast
    anybody stuck a volt meter on the v-core caps to see what the v-core really is??
    the hardware monitor may be wrong i think.

also what about a simple volt mod with a fixed resistor that would give .1 more at all times then all the volts you need would be available and you could fine tune it in the bios??

Xtreme Member
    I can't for the life of me remember where I read it, but I seem positive I recall reading something regarding AMD and possibly Asus and some sort of limitation/safeguard imposed on max vcore. Where if an unsafe/higher than AMD's max recomended vcore was set it would automatically be down volted to the max specified by AMD. this is where I recall the 1.58v limit in regards to an X2. And I think this all had to do with the 8 phase circuitry.

Who knows, perhaps I'm just dreaming.

Banned
    I can't for the life of me remember where I read it, but I seem positive I recall reading something regarding AMD and possibly Asus and some sort of limitation/safeguard imposed on max vcore. Where if an unsafe/higher than AMD's max recomended vcore was set it would automatically be down volted to the max specified by AMD. this is where I recall the 1.58v limit in regards to an X2. And I think this all had to do with the 8 phase circuitry.

Who knows, perhaps I'm just dreaming.
    GRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Xtreme Mentor
    who cares if you cant get it fully stable at 1.58vcore chances are u aint getn much more out of it, even if you watercool. Sure pumping 1.7vcore into a chip might max out another 50mhz, but do you really want to kill ur chip that way?
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block

Quote Originally Posted by situman
    who cares if you cant get it fully stable at 1.58vcore chances are u aint getn much more out of it, even if you watercool. Sure pumping 1.7vcore into a chip might max out another 50mhz, but do you really want to kill ur chip that way?
    Well then you can ask the question of why bother with watercooling, why bother with ram that will give you 20mhz more. Why bother buying a $260 board when you get a $100 one that will do 1.58v. Hell why even bother overclocking at all?

Xtreme Member
    Well at least you have proven we don't have defective boards traz2k. Just some sort of limitation imposed by cpuid/bios/Asus/AMD.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by brandinb
    anybody stuck a volt meter on the v-core caps to see what the v-core really is??
    the hardware monitor may be wrong i think.

also what about a simple volt mod with a fixed resistor that would give .1 more at all times then all the volts you need would be available and you could fine tune it in the bios??

only if I know which one to tap onto, have a DM here that I can check but knowing Asus I wouldn't completely rely on the sucky PC Probe for vcore reading...

Quote Originally Posted by situman
    I guess the limitation is good in order to prevent newbie from frying their cpu left and right as nobody in their right mind should be running their cpu more than 1.65v 24/7 and if or when something get fried I suppose Asus didn't want to have fingers pointing at them and being blame for mistake made by users, it's pretty smart of them to do that but this feature could be annoyance to those who don't mind BBQ their hardwares though
    Last edited by ben805; 11-19-2005 at 10:21 PM.
    Core i7 920 D0 3844A717 4.40Ghz HT on @1.36v (LinX/Prime/3D stable), Corsair 850W, 12GB OCZ Platinum 1600, P6T Deluxe V2, EVGA GTX 285 SS, OCZ Vortex SSD 30GB x3 RAID0, HAF 932.
    Water Cooling Setup: XSPC RX360, MCP355 + XSPC Res Top, Swiftech GTZ, 1/2" Tygon, Scythe S-Flex SFF21F push, 20mm yateloon D12SL-12C pull.

Opteron 148 CABNE 0528 GPMW 3.1Ghz @1.6v Prime Stable. Westy 37" LVM-37W3, DFI Venus 975, 2GB TeamX Cronus Micron, GSkill HZ, Sapphire X1900XTX, Zippy 700W, X-Fi Xtrememusic, 36GB Raptors x2 @Raid-0.
    WC Setup: PA120.3 +Shroud, MCP655, STORM, MCW60, 1/2" Tygon, mini res, Yate Loon.

Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast