Thread: Vdroop on Gigabyte 890fxa-UD5?

Xtreme Member

Vdroop on Gigabyte 890fxa-UD5?

I just got this board and so far it has taken my 1055t to 4 ghz fairly easy. But I am experiencing vdroop. Example I set 1.500 vcore in bios and CPU-Z reads 1.488. Is this normal?
    Dragon Fighter

Intel Core I5 4670K haswell.
    Asus Maximus VI Hero Z87.
    2x8g G-Skill Ripjawz DDR3-2133.
    Powercolor AMD HD7950 boost.
    Creative R3C0N 3D.
    OCZ Fatality 1000w modular.
    Sandisk Extreme 256g SSD.
    OCZ Vertex 60gb SSD.
    Samsung 1TB F3.
    Corsair Carbide 300r.
    Phanteks PH-TC14PE.

Before you get too concerned, try checking your board with a meter so you know what numbers (if any) to believe.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Member
    Im not really sure how to do that. I set 1.4500 vcore in bios and under load it does 1.4400 via cpuz. Is that even enough to worry?
    Dragon Fighter

Creative R3C0N 3D.
    OCZ Vertex 60gb SSD.
    Samsung 1TB F3.
    Corsair Carbide 300r.
    Phanteks PH-TC14PE.

Xtreme Mentor
    fun fact, i set 1.4250v in bios and cpu-z reads 1.44v idle and 1.49v load. you shouldn't worry, and be glad it drops instead of jumps.

Ryzen 9 3900X w/ NH-U14s on MSI X570 Unify
    32 GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733 CL14 (1.51v)
    RX 5700 XT w/ 2x 120mm fan mod (2 GHz)
    Tons of NVMe & SATA SSDs
    LG 27GL850 + Asus MG279Q
    Meshify C white

Xtreme 3D Team
    Gigabyte boards do no vdroop or vjump <--- horrible terminology

When set at 1.500v it will say 1.488v in CPU-Z at both idle and at load...if you set 1.550v it will say 1.536v idle and load. Setting 1.575v will come to 1.568v and so on. 1.6v gives you 1.584v or something. I've never seen it droop under load on both my 790X 8+1 Phase Board and 890GX 4+1 Phase Board.

It seems to me that they just don't have enough dividers to make exact voltages.
    Smile

All boards have problems with either undervolting or overvolting. Any power supply under heavy load will output a different voltage than it is targeting. Feedback mechanisms and compensation systems help counteract this but do not solve it.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

It's normal,CPU-Z reading in 0.016V steps.
    Need a Gigabyte latest BIOS?
    Z370 AORUS Gaming 7,
    GA-Z97X-SOC Force ,Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.65 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 10 x64

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Gigabyte boards do no vdroop or vjump <--- horrible terminology

When set at 1.500v it will say 1.488v in CPU-Z at both idle and at load...if you set 1.550v it will say 1.536v idle and load. Setting 1.575v will come to 1.568v and so on. 1.6v gives you 1.584v or something. I've never seen it droop under load on both my 790X 8+1 Phase Board and 890GX 4+1 Phase Board.

It seems to me that they just don't have enough dividers to make exact voltages.
    woooooooooooooooooow and you are not happy with that
    there is no helping some people
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    woooooooooooooooooow and you are not happy with that
    there is no helping some people
    Actually I'm really happy with that...I suppose I could have fit a few smilies in there

Sheesh, there is a reason I own this board and not an *&S(*R&$(# board that does 1.46v idle and 1.52v load or 1.51v idle and 1.46v load
    Smile

Xtreme Legend
    lol my bad
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the help. I love this board. Its stable and runs very cool. Took my 1055t to 4.0 ghz in less then a hour. I decided to do a 300 bus x 12.5 multi. 3750 mhz, 2700 NB and 1600 ram speeds at 6-8-6-24 (Recommended by gskill) I ran Prime Blend for 15 hours and I ran IBT for 3 hours and no instability. This board is much nicer then my Crosshair IV
    Dragon Fighter

Creative R3C0N 3D.
    OCZ Vertex 60gb SSD.
    Samsung 1TB F3.
    Corsair Carbide 300r.
    Phanteks PH-TC14PE.