Thread: Core unlocking and Windows 7 activation failure.

Core unlocking and Windows 7 activation failure.

So I'm using windows 7, it is a legit retail copy and activated successfully when first installed.

Then yesterday I put in a new video card (5770, replacing 4770), at the same time I switch my cpu from desktop mode (720 x3 2.8ghz) to my gaming mode (720be x4 3.5ghz).

Then today out of no where my windows activation fails??

I'm assuming its related to the hardware switch, but I can't say for sure as windows tells me nothing. It reactivated fine when I rung microsoft.

Anyone have any experiences like this, or can shed any light on why this happened?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
    So I'm using windows 7, it is a legit retail copy and activated successfully when first installed.

Then yesterday I put in a new video card (5770, replacing 4770), at the same time I switch my cpu from desktop mode (720 x3 2.8ghz) to my gaming mode (720be x4 3.5ghz).

I'm assuming its related to the hardware switch, but I can't say for sure as windows tells me nothing. It reactivated fine when I rung microsoft.

Anyone have any experiences like this, or can shed any light on why this happened?
    I had one thing similar happen one day, an update/file change/mod or something, that changed something.
    Claiming I modified windows and my registration key wasn't valid after it.
    I had to retype my windows key for activation again. :/
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Member
    ^ is your copy Retail or OEM?
    it happened to me too when i changed my HD using HDclone & then I just reactivated it then it's OK, using an OEM copy + a Phentlon

Yeah, I'm guessing you both got charged one 'activation' for that.

I'm using retail version and I was under the impression that you have to make two hardware switches before it will ping you (unless its the master boot drive). As I only changed the gpu, I'm guessing an unlock also counts?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i think your unlocked core is the reason why windows 7 activation failed, i have experienced this with a broken ram on my system and it would never activate no matter what but when i changed to a brand new set of ram it activated perfectly so i guess it might have something to do with a malfunctioning hardware.
    Phenom Monsta - Gallery
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T | MSI 790FX-GD70 | Dominator 1600 C8 8GB | 4770 CF | 2xWD640GB Raid0 | 2xWD1.5TB Raid1 | Corsair HX850 |Lian-Li PC-7FW
    Enzotech Luna Rev.A | 2 x MCW60 | MCP-350 | XSPC Dual DDC Res | TFC Monsta 420/360 Limited Edition

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS | Nissin Di866 | D-Lite4 | 17" MiniSoft | 53" Midi-Octa | 7" Reflector + 20º Grid | Explorer XT SE | Crumpler 6MDH

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonker View Post

Yes, I have had my OS install *legit copy* phone home to the mothership and request verification when I swapped out too much HW. The mothership freaked out, claiming I had installed on two different machines. I had to physically phone the mothership and explain what I had done, the mothership gave me a secret pass code to enter and reactivated my OS. It was happy every since.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft