Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The VM Thread

My own little world
    Try using NAT instead of a bridged network Demon. Works fine for me, never have ANY problems with reagrd to netowrking, even over wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Xtreme Member
    Should I select NAT on the set up then or can I switch to NAT afterwards?
    ASUS A832N Sli Deluxe | A64 FX-60 w/ Swiftech Apogee wb| 4@1024 G.Skill Extreme | 2@Nvidia 8800 GTS 640mb | PPC 700w | (2) WD Raptor 74GB SATA | XP 64

my heatware

My own little world
    Dunno, I've always selected it on startup
    Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    did u install vmware tools? I forgot to do that and I finally thought of it.
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Member
    Works now. I just have to figue out the details for the firewall and what not now. The network is slow as balls now. I got Dimes loaded up but my internet connection through that is running like molasses. I have 782 up and 10 mbit down and it is crawling.
    ASUS A832N Sli Deluxe | A64 FX-60 w/ Swiftech Apogee wb| 4@1024 G.Skill Extreme | 2@Nvidia 8800 GTS 640mb | PPC 700w | (2) WD Raptor 74GB SATA | XP 64

my heatware

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    You need to run bridged in order to get the bandwidth off the primary VM Server. Thats why its slow.. You are running static IPs i hope?

XS_THE_MACHINE
    How do u know if you are running static ip's??

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    Well, i know because on my router, DHCP is disabled and plug in manually, the ip address i want the adapter to have, the submask, gateway and the dns's.

If youre running DHCP, it can make a hell of a mess on a VM server.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haltech
    You need to run bridged in order to get the bandwidth off the primary VM Server. Thats why its slow.. You are running static IPs i hope?
    I think RoadRunner assigns them.. Problem I was having is it sees duplicates on the network and then I am stuck and none of the connections work. The NAT worked but slow as balls connection. If I could figure out how to fix my IP mess on bridged, I would be creating havoc. As it is I am only running one client on two machines and I am clocking 6000+ per day. If I could get VM working and five or six more clients up, we would be handing them their heads on a plate.

my heatware

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    Quote Originally Posted by demonR6
    I think RoadRunner assigns them.. Problem I was having is it sees duplicates on the network and then I am stuck and none of the connections work. The NAT worked but slow as balls connection. If I could figure out how to fix my IP mess on bridged, I would be creating havoc. As it is I am only running one client on two machines and I am clocking 6000+ per day. If I could get VM working and five or six more clients up, we would be handing them their heads on a plate.
    Ok, you have a router connected to your modem, correct? If youre not running a router and god knows why you wouldnt, you need to go in manually on eacg VM client, and change the IP scheme.. Like i said, DHCP wreaks havoc on a VM Setup.

Xtreme Member
    Nope, it all runs through a broadband router.. I don't think RoadRunner gives a crap about how many IPs I have because at the moment I have three rigs online. The 24/7 Dimes rig has been running without a hitch and is the newest in the network. The secondary "stay away from my computer, use that p.o.s." is on 24/7 as well and running Dimes. My main rig is not 24/7 but Dimes is on when I am using it.. no network conflicts.

As I sit here and ponder what I just said, I have a eerie feeling like something is going to hit the fan on my network and make me regret that statement. LOL
    Last edited by demonR6; 11-22-2005 at 05:56 PM.

my heatware

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    Go into the routers settings and disable the DHCP server.. Than you can set your IP Scheme, Gateway, Submask and DNS manually.

Chuck Norris Worshipper
    i got vmware 5.0, a win server 2k3 and 2 clones of it (3 vm's total) running with dimes, but dimes shuts down on those vm's after like 5 minutes...wtf mate?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haltech
    Go into the routers settings and disable the DHCP server.. Than you can set your IP Scheme, Gateway, Submask and DNS manually.
    Unfortunately my broadband router doesn't let me get in to it for some reason. I tried the 192.168.0.1 method and no dice. Will look on the site to see if there is another way in.

my heatware

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    Quote Originally Posted by demonR6
    Unfortunately my broadband router doesn't let me get in to it for some reason. I tried the 192.168.0.1 method and no dice. Will look on the site to see if there is another way in.
    Every router does.. Tell me what kind of router and model #

did you try 192.168.1.1

Xtreme Member
    D-Link DI-614+

my heatware

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    Open IE.. type in 192.168.0.1

Thats the default IP address of the router unless you changed it. If you cant remember, there a reset button on the backside of the router next to the WAN port.. Reset it..

the above is the default IP.. Login is ADMIN and PW is blank, dont enter anything.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have a Q.

Is it possible to run vm's of Dimes and D2OL together on a A64 with 512mb ram and plenty of hd space.

Also i have a PII 200mhz with 128mb ram running D2OL,but it produces only 5 cans p/d,so that's pretty poor,but i think,maybe its better to run a few dime vm's on it,how many you think i can run on it,or is it a game of change,maybe i get 4 or 5 vm's on,i give it a try in the weekend,did'nt have any time this week.

I dl the 55mb,thks Haltech .
    Last edited by RocKer; 11-24-2005 at 03:40 PM.

Asus P5K<*>OCZ 450w<*>E6600@4.0ghz@9x445@1.450v<*>TeamXtreem DDR2-800 cl3 2x1gb<*>Sapphire 3870 512mb DDR4
    Asus P5E X48 DeLuxe<*>OCZ 700w<*>E8600 E0@4.6ghz@1.350v wc<*>Corsair Titanium DDR2-800 4x2gb<*>Sapphire 2x3870 2x512mb DDR4 CF

Xtreme D˛OL Watch Dog
    I don't think you'll gain anything running D2OL on a vm. Just run it on the main rig.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Yea, I agree with hellheim, unless you have a xeon or an x2. Then you could use one install for one core, install vmware, theninstall another d2ol on the vmware so it uses the second cpu. For xeon, you would do that twice.

clicks to save kids

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Alright, I got a question. When I clone a vmware, do I have to change the name, or will it work under the name of the other one. Also, is there anyway I can get rid of it using the floppy drive? I uncheckde the connect on start up, but is that all I have to do?

clicks to save kids

Quote Originally Posted by moddolicous
    Also, is there anyway I can get rid of it using the floppy drive? I uncheckde the connect on start up, but is that all I have to do?
    You should be able to "remove" the floppy drive from the device list when you are in the "Virtual Machine Control Panel".

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Nah, dont worry. I just got rid of the connect on power and it worked. Got another 2vm's going on each comp. BTW, my machine progress (AMD K6-2 500mhz with modded cooler that runs 27c @ full load) just got another 128mb ram. 64+128=192. How many vm's for fuly dedicated?

clicks to save kids

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Just a hint: go to run, msconfig, and check diagnostic startup. Then go to services and kepp network connections and vmware tools. Then, go to start-up, and keep dimes, jusched, and vmware tray. click apply, and close, restart, and you vm should be using ~61mb of ram.

clicks to save kids

XS_THE_MACHINE
    OK, I dont think it works. Output is gonna be LOW today.

clicks to save kids

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast