Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The VM Thread

Ker-Pow !

Lightbulb The VM Thread

Here is a quick guide on getting started.

Thewildblues VMware Quickstart Guide

Once you have installed VMware, start up the program and you will be presented with the following screen. From Here select create new Virtual machine.

Now select typical

Now choose you operating system of choice. Lets go with 2000 pro for the moment.

We now choose the name and location for our VMware OS.

You are now presented with your networking choice. For standard use I always use bridged.

You are now asked to specify the size to allocate. I choose 1gb as Im a tight arse. Ive never bothered with allocate now as Im too impatient to wait. It is tight on 1gb though.

Hey presto you nearly ready to go. Now double click memory to specify the amount for your virtual machine. When installing an OS I usually give as much as possible as it takes less time.
    Once the machine is all installed you can tune it from there.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...id=37347&stc=1

Its as easy as this to allocate memory, just move the slider or enter the number.

I have found that I can run as low as 32mb for windows 2000.

Next double click CDROM. This is where you can choose you device of choice (if you have more than one drive) or instead choose an ISO image to install from. Once done click ok.

You are now ready to power up your virtual machine. Install your OS as per normal.

Once you click inside your virtual machine you are locked in there. To release the cursor press ctrl and alt together. Once you have installed your OS you can then install VMtools from the VM menu, install VMtools.

VMtools allows you to move around without the need to press ctrl alt to release the cursor.

To enter ctrl alt delete to log in you now use ctrl alt insert to login to a virtual machine.

Once you have created you VM machine go to the folder and copy all the files to a new folder.

Now start up this V machine and you are prompted if you want to create a new ID, select yes and also remember to rename the network name and IP address so it wont conflict with your previous machine. Once this has been done you can power up the original. You can repeat this as much as your machine can handle.

One thing to remember if you have specified a low disk space allocation, remember to adjust the swap file size accordingly as otherwise it will exceed disk space pretty quick due to having a swap file for say 256mb of ram. Also feel free to turn off as many unneccessay services as possible.

I wouldn’t install Dimes until the last moment on each as otherwise you will have say 3 machines with all the same Dimes ID, which I don’t thinks helps the points. Remember each dimes client will consume more bandwidth.

In order to create quick copies of newly installed VMs use the clone command, located here

Select from current state, rather than snapshot.

Now create a linked clone, this requires the original, but that shouldnt be too much of an issue.

Now name, this can be whatever you choose.

It should now appear on your VM list. This can be done numerous times as required.

The thing to do next is disconnect the network card before booting each VM as otherwise you will have IP conflicts on your network and also name problems. This can be done by right clicking in the bottom right of the VM on the NIC and select disconnect. Make your changes reboot and then enable the same way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vm9.JPG 
Views:	2709 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	39951   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vm10.JPG 
Views:	2711 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	39952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vm11.JPG 
Views:	955 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	39953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vm12.JPG 
Views:	2639 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	39954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vm13.JPG 
Views:	2702 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	39955  

Last edited by [XC]thewildblue; 11-16-2005 at 12:29 PM.

Ker-Pow !
    Memory recommendations for OS.

For Windows 2000 Pro I have had successful VMs run Dimes with as little as 40mb, This means that on an XP box with 256mb you can run about 3 separate VMs, as long as this is all the box does.

For Windows XP I would recommend a minimum of 96mb, I havent tried any lower as yet and I mostly use 2000 as it has less overheads.

There is some talk of nlite working well but I will investigate this further.

Any additions to this please let me know.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Nice guide. I can vouch for 64mb working on a nlited xp disc. As far as hard drive space goes, both of my vmwares only use ~700mb.
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

Ker-Pow !
    Could you PM me some info on the nlite stuff, as Iwouldnt mind finding out more and then I will add to the guide. Cheers

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Has anyone had an error like this?
    http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3594/problem4tn.png

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    What version of VM ware are you using? I use 4.5 and have no issues across the board with running it on both a Winxp and Win2K boxen.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    The new one (workstation 5?). Do u have a link for 4.5?

clicks to save kids

My own little world
    I've had no probs with version 5.summat (Can't be bothered to look)

2K is a touch smaller footprint, so I tend to use that
    Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Ker-Pow !
    These are all with version 5. Modd, I would try a new download and re-install, maybe de-click the rig slightly. Also what does the log say in it ? That might shed some light.

Xtreme Member
    Now why the heck can I not clone, I don't have that option as listed above.. hmm.
    ASUS A832N Sli Deluxe | A64 FX-60 w/ Swiftech Apogee wb| 4@1024 G.Skill Extreme | 2@Nvidia 8800 GTS 640mb | PPC 700w | (2) WD Raptor 74GB SATA | XP 64

my heatware

Ker-Pow !
    Have u tried shutting down a client first then selecting clone ?

Xtreme Member
    Yes.. I rebooted after installing VM. I have a habit of rebooting and defragging after I install or remove any programs on my computer.. old habit I guess?

EDIT: I am installing VMware Tools.. wondering if that has anything to do with it.
    ASUS A832N Sli Deluxe | A64 FX-60 w/ Swiftech Apogee wb| 4@1024 G.Skill Extreme | 2@Nvidia 8800 GTS 640mb | PPC 700w | (2) WD Raptor 74GB SATA | XP 64

my heatware

Ker-Pow !
    What version are you running ? Also have u tried a defrag of the VM....supposed to make a difference....never tried ti myself.

Xtreme Member
    No, I have not tried defragging the VM but now that you mention it, it cannot hurt to try. I am using version 4.5.

my heatware

Xtreme Member
    nm.
    Last edited by demonR6; 11-18-2005 at 04:40 PM.

my heatware

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Has anyone tried the linux version (instead of windows?). I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow. I never got linux to work, and I'm gonna try tomorrow.

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    My linux skills suck major ass.. But if you can figure it out, im sure you will have better output.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    From linux?! I dont know. I'll try it on a vmware tomorrow on my brother's comp. Do u by any chance know if BSD will work on a linux version?

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Cruncher
    When you select the Guest Operating System, you can select FreeBSD under Other, if that's what you're wondering about.
    A wolf in wolves clothing.

Ker-Pow !
    Ive ran a few linux VMs, SUSE runs lovely, also things like knoppix and damm small work ok. Seems some of the bigger nix distros have built in VM driver support for Video and Nic.

There is also a linux version out there that allows you to run Windows within your nix distro.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Alright then. I'll try setting one up today with linux when I get home. I'll try one of the live install ones first (like Suse) then I'll work my way up to Gentoo.

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Cruncher
    Can somebody give me a link to VMware to download,becaus when i go here the want to know alot of stuff,why is that and do i have to pay for it,can't i dl it from another place.

Or is there an other way to get the vmware.

Asus P5K<*>OCZ 450w<*>E6600@4.0ghz@9x445@1.450v<*>TeamXtreem DDR2-800 cl3 2x1gb<*>Sapphire 3870 512mb DDR4
    Asus P5E X48 DeLuxe<*>OCZ 700w<*>E8600 E0@4.6ghz@1.350v wc<*>Corsair Titanium DDR2-800 4x2gb<*>Sapphire 2x3870 2x512mb DDR4 CF

Ker-Pow !
    Yes its pay for software Im afraid. They do a 30 dya trial version I think.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Then i am afraid its a no go for vmware for me.

Asus P5K<*>OCZ 450w<*>E6600@4.0ghz@9x445@1.450v<*>TeamXtreem DDR2-800 cl3 2x1gb<*>Sapphire 3870 512mb DDR4
    Asus P5E X48 DeLuxe<*>OCZ 700w<*>E8600 E0@4.6ghz@1.350v wc<*>Corsair Titanium DDR2-800 4x2gb<*>Sapphire 2x3870 2x512mb DDR4 CF

Xtreme Member

Network hurdle

I have VM installed and multiple OS'es set up but the network is killing me. I cannot seem to get over the hurdle of connecting to the network on any of the VMs. I did not see anything of use in the how-to so I have hit the wall. Normally I can work my way through these things but this is new ground for me. I am on broadband (RoadRunner).. if someone can shoot me a line and give me a hand, I can get some more work cranked out for us.

my heatware

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast