Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $6000.00 Budget for Cooling

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by kmhtkmhtkmht
    Well, I've made my mind up finally with the chip I will be using and I will be buying the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ in January - single core chips are over, and realistically, I don't "game" that much as I get a headache from FPS games. I am sure that the dual core chip with the stock setting of 2.6GHz can reach 3.6 on a good day : D
    I've been talking to Chilly about a few ideas for a setup for you and just be forewarned: If the recent samples I've received from AMD are any indication of what's to come, you'll encounter some serious cold-bug issues with any cascaded units (and even some strong single stagers). Of course you can always go old school and pick up a FX55 Clawhammer - they have no cold bugs whatsoever and in fact their memory controllers are more efficient that any of the San Diego core cpu's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Unless you plan to get massively big condensers that can run the fan at very low speed, anything other than single stage is outta question if you have problem with 2000 RPM 120mm Fan. (about Panaflo M1A in full blast..)
    Couldn't you use a watercooled condenser and put the radiator and fans where you don't mind the noise, like outdoors?
    Of course, you could always just use a modded central A/C condenser unit as the first stage of a cascade. It would be expensive and use a lot of power, but if money is not a big concern and electricity is cheap...
    What I would like to see is someone powering their central A/C with a diesel generator modded to run on used vegetable oil from restaurants.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by star882
    Couldn't you use a watercooled condenser and put the radiator and fans where you don't mind the noise, like outdoors?
    Of course, you could always just use a modded central A/C condenser unit as the first stage of a cascade. It would be expensive and use a lot of power, but if money is not a big concern and electricity is cheap...
    What I would like to see is someone powering their central A/C with a diesel generator modded to run on used vegetable oil from restaurants.
    yes you could.
    I like building Vapor phase coolers......
    ......to cool mynipples!!

Heat is "gclg2000"
    95-0-0

-100C Cascade Club

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by star882
    Although not quiet what you want to see, in the next 6 months I should have a diesel engine rig to play with
    570cc yanmar or kubota engine driving twin 6cylinder open drive compressor which I intend to cool dual xeon chip mobo with.

Quote Originally Posted by s7e9h3n
    I've been talking to Chilly about a few ideas for a setup for you and just be forewarned: If the recent samples I've received from AMD are any indication of what's to come, you'll encounter some serious cold-bug issues with any cascaded units (and even some strong single stagers). Of course you can always go old school and pick up a FX55 Clawhammer - they have no cold bugs whatsoever and in fact their memory controllers are more efficient that any of the San Diego core cpu's
    EEk - hopefully this won't be true and AMD will consider that there market will be kids with lotsa money or enthusiasts that will seek to run extreme cooling - if only cascade cooling was more common place (or indeed single stage phase change)!

The point of extreme cooling for me is to able to have someone Overclock it to an extreme point and for it still to be cool - I do not want to have the fate of some Mach 2 GT owners seeing positive temps in their AMD 57s.

I essentially want the most exclusive and "wow" setup - I've already spoken to a few UK technology magazines that'll be interested in doing a couple page article on the system when it's done and here in the UK. (even some top draw newspapers)
    Last edited by kmhtkmhtkmht; 11-17-2005 at 04:54 PM.

-100c Club Member
    EEk - hopefully this won't be true and AMD will consider that there market will be kids with lotsa money or enthusiasts that will seek to run extreme cooling - if only cascade cooling was more common place (or indeed single stage phase change)!

The point of extreme cooling for me is to able to have someone Overclock it to an extreme point and for it still to be cool - I do not want to have the fate of some Mach 2 GT owners seeing positive temps in their AMD 57s.

I essentially want the most exclusive and "wow" setup - I've already spoken to a few UK technology magazines that'll be interested in doing a couple page article on the system when it's done and here in the UK. (even some top draw newspapers)
    Media exposure on this thing for builders always is good Ask Chilly1 about what you think and I am pretty sure he will come up with something ingeniuitive. Only thing that would worry me is hardness of selection of compressor due to noise concern.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Now taht I know your in europe the U.S. builders are still a choice but you may want to contact overklokk or Tom Holck.

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by jinu117
    Media exposure on this thing for builders always is good Ask Chilly1 about what you think and I am pretty sure he will come up with something ingeniuitive. Only thing that would worry me is hardness of selection of compressor due to noise concern.
    Chilly already has some crazy ideas for this rig. After he told me about his plans, I'd feel safe saying that if this unit became a reality, then it would put most every phase unit I've ever seen/read about to shame (with the exception of maybe two or three )

You know more than me then - he's told me nothing...

I am sure he'll dream up something spectacular

Phenom™
    You know more than me then - he's told me nothing...

I am sure he'll dream up something spectacular
    I'll make sure that he gets in touch with you then

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123