Thread: Rename fear.exe and gain 30% on X1000 cards.

XS News

Rename fear.exe and gain 30% on X1000 cards.

Info can be found at Beyond3D

1600x1200
    everything high w/ volumetric lights on medium
    X4AA X8AF
    timedemo avg

fear.exe 27fps
    fear1.exe 37fps

Seems like current drivers has a bug in AI Rage3D
    Everything extra is bad!

Live Long And Overclock
    Oh my...a conspiracy in the works ??? Wonder which side is the culprit...

Someone should try this.

Perkam

Xtreme Addict
    hmmm...

1) If a CrossFire, SIS or any other mobo that's not nVidia gives more performance on ATi cards, it could be true that nVidia's NForce drivers reduce performance on ATi cards

2) If it happens only with F.E.A.R., and there is no improvement on nVidia by tweaking F.E.A.R., could it be that nVidia paid Monolith to tweak the game so it loses performance on ATi cards? and could be the reason why nVidia ran better on the demos compared to ATi? Back of my F.E.A.R. retail box has the nVidia logo, so they are sponsoring this game.

3) It could also be that we have yet to see the full performance of the x1xxx, and future ATi drivers will show a huge boost in performance to catch nVidia by surprise when they release the GTX 512mb. It doesnt look likely, tho :P:

I think #2 is the most probable situation

BTW, is there a tweak for the x8xx and older series too?

Xtreme Mentor
    2. is the impossible situation because if nvidia paid monolith to tweak fear for not to perform good at x1xxx series ati cards then this performance gain cant happen with changing the name of the game, it can be done by changing the name of the card. because running exe is same so the code determines the ati card and making performance worse is still runnig there it is not changed. i think it is a driver issue.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Live Long And Overclock
    Just read all three pages of Beyond3d, this "fix" works on all cards dating back to the 9xxx series, so this'll be a pretty big release a little while from now.

I'm thinking that with the things the 4.12 cats did, this'll most likely be the 5.12 cats.

Perkam

This has nothing to do with NVidia. For NVidia to be the problem, NVidia drivers would be required, as LOE said.

If it was monolith, then changing the filename wouldn't make a difference, it'd perform bad unless you use 3danalyze and told it you have a 7 series instead of a x1000. Remember HL2 and FX cards?

It'd be ATi's mix up, sounds like they simply put in a wrong driver optimizations for when fear is ran, and it ran better without said optimization...
    Last edited by DilTech; 11-10-2005 at 09:53 AM.

XS News
    Ati replied in thread:
    "It’s a "bug" in that we simply got an IF statement backwards Thanks for pointing this out to us, you have just helped us get a big performance gain. Of course there is no difference in the rendering, it’s just a CATALYST AI game specific optimization that was good for the demo version, but backfired in the final version. We will get it sorted out in a future Catalyst (not 5.11 which is being posted tomorrow by the way)."
    Everything extra is bad!

Charcoal or propane?
    ^ yeah, just read that over at B3D. Looks like the 5.12's will indeed have some nice little improvements for us.
    DFI UT X58-T3eH8 (being replaced with Giga UD5)
    Core i7 920 D0 mostly stable @ 4Ghz
    TRUE 120
    6GB OCZ Platinum 7-7-7 (still in testing
    XFX 4890 1GB @ 1050/1190
    Corsair HX850W
    CM Cosmos S

Still testing...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubermann
    Ati replied in thread:
    "It’s a "bug" in that we simply got an IF statement backwards Thanks for pointing this out to us, you have just helped us get a big performance gain. Of course there is no difference in the rendering, it’s just a CATALYST AI game specific optimization that was good for the demo version, but backfired in the final version. We will get it sorted out in a future Catalyst (not 5.11 which is being posted tomorrow by the way)."
    DilTech called it. All hail DilTech.
    ebay under aws983s, heatware under Mr. Tinker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tinker
    DilTech called it. All hail DilTech.

Xtreme Addict
    Ati replied in thread:
    "Thanks for pointing this out to us, you have just helped us get a big performance gain."
    anybody else find that statement funny?
    DFI LANParty DK 790FX-B
    Phenom II X4 955 BE (1003GPMW) @ 3.8GHz (19x200) w/1.36v
    -cooling: Scythe Mugen 2 + AC MX-2
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB
    8GB PC2-6400 G.Skill @ 800MHz (1:2) 5-5-5-15 w/1.8v
    Seagate 1TB 7200.11 Barracuda
    Corsair HX620W

Support PC gaming. Don't pirate games.

XS News
    Quote Originally Posted by LOE
    ati has more issues in drivers than usefull stuff rushed into demo optimizations, then forgot to double check it.. sounds lame to me

then why don't change it in the 5.11? After all all they need is to edit the fear profile, won't take more than 5 mins.... I am missing the point...
    Maybe because the 5.11 are already completed.

Cybercat It was funny, nothing i would expect from a catalyst programmer =)
    Last edited by Ubermann; 11-10-2005 at 12:40 PM.
    Everything extra is bad!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LOE
    ati has more issues in drivers than usefull stuff rushed into demo optimizations, then forgot to double check it.. sounds lame to me

then why don't change it in the 5.11? After all all they need is to edit the fear profile, won't take more than 5 mins.... I am missing the point...
    Another ATI bashing comment. To be honest with you i have had more issues with my Nvidia card then my past ATI cards. It does not sound like this caused any problems with the drivers, it simply did not get the performance that could be had. I do not look at that as an issue.
    Main Rig
    DFI NF4 UT Ultra D (Modded to SLI ) | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ @ 2600 MHZ (Watercooled) | 8800GTX (Watercooled) | 2 GB (2 x 1 GB) OCZ Platinum Edition EB PC4000 | OCZ Powerstream 520 | Creative X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty | ATI 550 Pro PCIe TvTuner | 150 GB WD SATA Raptor | 750 GB WD SATA II HD

Server
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platnium | AMD 3800+ | ATI 7500 | 2 GB Corsair ValueSelect | 80 GB SATA HD | 300 GB Maxtor SATA II HD | Antec 420 Watt PSU

Sitting in a Corner Collecting Dust about to be Parted out:
    Asus P4P8X | P4 2.8 533fsb @ 3.0 | ATI 9500 Pro | 1 GB Kingston Valueram PC 2700 (2-2-2-6) | 80 GB ATA133 Maxtor HD | 160 GB WD ATA100 HD

Moral Police
    10FPS is quite the mixup. Good PR right now but I reckon they did loose some clients over this....

10fps is definitely an oopsey, nice to see it's being fixed though.

As for the complaints about drivers, BOTH companies have had their fair share of driver issues..

NVidia, remember the temp bug causing temps to read 10C higher than they were in idle?

ATi, remember the bug originally with the X800's where it only used half of it's ram?

This is commonplace, there's just so much to do in a driver set that mistakes are easily made, so lets keep the "Oh ****'s drivers are T3h Suck" to yourselves...
    Last edited by DilTech; 11-10-2005 at 04:03 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybercat
    Ati replied in thread:
    "Thanks for pointing this out to us, you have just helped us get a big performance gain."
    anybody else find that statement funny?
    What I find funny about it is that ATi respondes to this bug so fast, and dont notice that they have'nt fixed the low perforamnce on OpenGL games.
    I would sure like a 20% boost in Quake4.
    Someone should remind ATi that most ATi users dont have a x1xxx series and should release a OpenGL fix for the older cards too.
    Last edited by Turok; 11-10-2005 at 05:11 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    @Turok i wouldnt trust onit.
    when the Xxxx series came people with 9xxx cards were left in the dark.
    like when a boost came for the x800 the older 9xxx didnt get a boost.
    if a fix was made for the Xxxx cards in the newest driver the old 9xxx had to wait 2 more driver versiosn for that fix.

so i wouldnt expect a opengl boost for older ATI cards.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

I am Xtreme
    plus it sounds like most of the open gl gains were made because of the new memcontroller