Thread: D2OL on a bootable Linux Flash Drive

Threaded View

Xtreme Cruncher

Wink Guide: D2OL on a bootable Linux Flash Drive

Guide on how to make a bootable linux flash drive with D2OL on it.

Items you wil need:
    128mb or greater Flash drive
    CD/DVD burner and blank media

1. The first thing you need to do is create a bootable CD with Damn Small Liunx(DSL) on it, you can get the latest version here Download the .iso and burn your self a copy.

2. Boot to DSL from the CD that you just created and make sure that you have your flash drive plugged in when you boot up.

3. Right click on the Desktop and go to Apps > Tools > Install to USB Pendrive > For USB Zip Pendrive.

4. Go through the process of creating the bootable pendrive, when you are asked to enter the device target you should enter "sda". This should work for almost everybody but if it does not and you get and error saying that "the device can not be mounted" then your pendrive has a differnet name and/or mount position. When you are asked the quenstionn "Use DSL iso from " answer with an "L" to indicate from the LiveCD. Next you will be asked to "Enter optional boot time options" i entered "vga" for a normal setup with a GUI interface. To choose the proper language/keyboard just hit enter unless you do not want english in which case enter the parameters you want.

When the process of creating the bootable USB pendrive has completed, reboot the computer to the pendrive.

5. Go the the D2OL website and download the linux GUi installer with JVM to the /home/dsl directory.

6. Open XTerminal from the desktop and type in the command "cd /home/dsl". Then type in the command "sh ./installDDOL.bin" to install D2OL. Be sure NOT to change the install path or you will have problems.

If you want to have a second install in the case that your machine has HT or 2 CPU's just install D2OL again from XTermnal, but when D2OL asks for the install directory just add a "2" to the end of the directory so it looks like this "SengentD2OL2"

If you want your installs to have the same node number open Emelfm from the desktop and in the right panell navigate to home/ > dsl/ > SengentD2OL/ > D2OL/ > res/ and select "node.prp" and hit the copy button in the middle of the screen, this should place it on the left side of the screen. Next go up 3 file levels so you are in the "/dsl" directory and then navigate to SengentD2OL2/ > D2OL/ > res/ slesct "node.prp" on the left side of the screen and hit the "move" button in the center of the screen to paste it in the /res directory on the right side.

7. If you want your installed D2OL program to stay installed when you reboot the computer ( and i think you do) then start the DSLpanel from the desktop and select "Backup/Restore". Next enter "sda2" for the device and hit Backup.

Now that everything is installed and working you ask the question, how do i start D2OL when i reboot the computer. That is easy. Open Emelfm from the desktop and navigate to home/ > dsl/ > SengentD2OL/ > D2OL/ and select "D2OL" and then right click on it and select "Execute", you can do the same thing for your other installs if there are any.

Tips:

I figured out how to get D2OL to start on bootup.
    you will need to edit the file .xinitrc, to do this open XTerminal from the desktop and type in the command "cd /home/dsl/" next type in the command "nano .xinitrc". Go to the first blank line and enter this "/home/dsl/SengentD2OL/D2OL/D2OL &>/dev/null &". And if you have another install of D2OL put the line in again but add a "2" to the end of SengentD2OL or whatever you named the other folder where you installed D2OL.

I was having a problem with the computer going to "sleep" after some time of no use. To fix this problem I added the line "xset -dpms" to the .xinitrc file. This keeps the computer from envoking the "Energy Star" features so you can keep on producing those canidates.

I addition while you are in the .xinitrc file if you do not want that Dillo information page popping up everytime you reboot you can just delete the entire line that starts with "dillo". Hit Control^X then "y" to save the file and you are done.

KB
    Last edited by Entity_Razer; 10-18-2006 at 05:16 AM.

312 Xeon Threads + GTX 1080 + GTX 1070 + BFL Monarch 700