Thread: D2OL on a bootable Linux Flash Drive

Xtreme Cruncher

Wink Guide: D2OL on a bootable Linux Flash Drive

Guide on how to make a bootable linux flash drive with D2OL on it.

Items you wil need:
    128mb or greater Flash drive
    CD/DVD burner and blank media

1. The first thing you need to do is create a bootable CD with Damn Small Liunx(DSL) on it, you can get the latest version here Download the .iso and burn your self a copy.

2. Boot to DSL from the CD that you just created and make sure that you have your flash drive plugged in when you boot up.

3. Right click on the Desktop and go to Apps > Tools > Install to USB Pendrive > For USB Zip Pendrive.

4. Go through the process of creating the bootable pendrive, when you are asked to enter the device target you should enter "sda". This should work for almost everybody but if it does not and you get and error saying that "the device can not be mounted" then your pendrive has a differnet name and/or mount position. When you are asked the quenstionn "Use DSL iso from " answer with an "L" to indicate from the LiveCD. Next you will be asked to "Enter optional boot time options" i entered "vga" for a normal setup with a GUI interface. To choose the proper language/keyboard just hit enter unless you do not want english in which case enter the parameters you want.

When the process of creating the bootable USB pendrive has completed, reboot the computer to the pendrive.

5. Go the the D2OL website and download the linux GUi installer with JVM to the /home/dsl directory.

6. Open XTerminal from the desktop and type in the command "cd /home/dsl". Then type in the command "sh ./installDDOL.bin" to install D2OL. Be sure NOT to change the install path or you will have problems.

If you want to have a second install in the case that your machine has HT or 2 CPU's just install D2OL again from XTermnal, but when D2OL asks for the install directory just add a "2" to the end of the directory so it looks like this "SengentD2OL2"

If you want your installs to have the same node number open Emelfm from the desktop and in the right panell navigate to home/ > dsl/ > SengentD2OL/ > D2OL/ > res/ and select "node.prp" and hit the copy button in the middle of the screen, this should place it on the left side of the screen. Next go up 3 file levels so you are in the "/dsl" directory and then navigate to SengentD2OL2/ > D2OL/ > res/ slesct "node.prp" on the left side of the screen and hit the "move" button in the center of the screen to paste it in the /res directory on the right side.

7. If you want your installed D2OL program to stay installed when you reboot the computer ( and i think you do) then start the DSLpanel from the desktop and select "Backup/Restore". Next enter "sda2" for the device and hit Backup.

Now that everything is installed and working you ask the question, how do i start D2OL when i reboot the computer. That is easy. Open Emelfm from the desktop and navigate to home/ > dsl/ > SengentD2OL/ > D2OL/ and select "D2OL" and then right click on it and select "Execute", you can do the same thing for your other installs if there are any.

Tips:

I figured out how to get D2OL to start on bootup.
    you will need to edit the file .xinitrc, to do this open XTerminal from the desktop and type in the command "cd /home/dsl/" next type in the command "nano .xinitrc". Go to the first blank line and enter this "/home/dsl/SengentD2OL/D2OL/D2OL &>/dev/null &". And if you have another install of D2OL put the line in again but add a "2" to the end of SengentD2OL or whatever you named the other folder where you installed D2OL.

I was having a problem with the computer going to "sleep" after some time of no use. To fix this problem I added the line "xset -dpms" to the .xinitrc file. This keeps the computer from envoking the "Energy Star" features so you can keep on producing those canidates.

I addition while you are in the .xinitrc file if you do not want that Dillo information page popping up everytime you reboot you can just delete the entire line that starts with "dillo". Hit Control^X then "y" to save the file and you are done.

KB
    Last edited by Entity_Razer; 10-18-2006 at 05:16 AM.

312 Xeon Threads + GTX 1080 + GTX 1070 + BFL Monarch 700

^^Not dead!!^^
    Is it possible to make it auto start D2OL once it boots?

Can this be made into a ready to run image posted for DL... just add your node.prp and go!?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodzilla
    Is it possible to make it auto start D2OL once it boots?

Can this be made into a ready to run image posted for DL... just add your node.prp and go!?

yes it is possible to make it start automatically but i will have to do some reading on it. I have only been playing with linux for about a week.

i am not sure if it can be turned into an image bacause the pendrive has to be formatted and parttioned for it to work. It might be possible form inside a Linux environment so you can create the correct file system and partions.

^^Not dead!!^^
    Interesting... Plllleeeeaaaaaasssssseeeee keep us posted

My own little world
    Sticky vote #1
    Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Xtreme Member
    i second that

CPU Z:2700 2k1:27952 2k3:12282 2k5:5763 PCM05 AQ3
    Opteron 165 s939_____OCZ RAM/PSU_____BBATI X800xl

I am Xtreme

Yes

Xtreme Cruncher
    A Greed
    A wolf in wolves clothing.

I am Xtreme
    sticky, works great. totally leet man
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

Xtreme Cruncher
    I figured out how to get D2Ol to strat on boot up.

I updated my first post with the information.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Can someone make a image or is it per key.
    Quote Originally Posted by IYP
    impecible reasoning....the jedi mind skills of the stupid people are overwhelming....but they shall not assimilate me!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by live2game2003
    Can someone make a image or is it per key.

like i said earalier i am not sure you can make an image because your pen/flash drive must be formatted to a linux filesystem that is not readable in windows and it must me partioned.

although i am not very well versed in linux, I might be wrong. But i do not know how to do it and i can not see how it would be done unless you already have a working version of Linux installed or you burn a bootable CD, in which case you are ready to create your owen bootable pen/flash drive.

If anybody knows how to create a Linux partion and file system from windows let me know, because then an image might be possible. Or if you know how to make an image so it will work i would really like to know.
    Last edited by KaptainBlaZzed; 11-07-2005 at 09:44 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    kaptainblazzed i would like to say a big thanks for this sweet thang my hats off to you

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by KaptainBlaZzed
    like i said earalier i am not sure you can make an image because your pen/flash drive must be formatted to a linux filesystem that is not readable in windows and it must me partioned.
    Might be able to do it with RawWrite. I'm not too familiar with it since I haven't used it since back in the Redhat days when I needed a Linux boot floppy. Nowadays can just use a bootable LiveCD.
    DeXter::2xXeon2.4@3200, GF6800, PC-DL, 1gb Centon, IWT+panaflo air, Win7
    Quad::Q6600(g0)@3400(1.30V), GTX275, 965P-DS3, 4gb HyperX, Asus SilentSquare (air), Win7_64U
    NuQuad::Q9400@3300(1.24V), 8800GT, G31M-ES2L, 2gb Patriot, stock air (bigger Q6600 one), WinXP64
    Crunch::E4300@2400, onboard, GF7100PVT-M3, 2gb Patriot CL5, stock air, Vista64U

Ker-Pow !
    I have been playing with a similar idea with Dimes and an image, but I have been unable to create a partition within the virtual machine to allow me to install damn small within the VM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    thats damn nice!

Xtreme Cruncher
    My first Sticky

anyway back on topic.

I edited the Tips sectin of my Guide to include a way to keep the computer from envoking its "Energy Star" feature and going to sleep after a period of no activity.

I also added some bolding to highlight some important information in the Guide.

Ker-Pow !
    Well I managed to get it installed in a 400mb partition within a VM, but I cant for the life of me get Java workingready for Dimes, anyone have any ideas ?

kaptain you managed to learn Linux pretty quick, wish I could, Ive been struggling for years with it.

Moral Police
    The principle of learning linux is simpel, the more you mess up and make errors the more you learn. this is ESPESIALLY true for linux. It's a pain to use in the beginning but you learn SO much

Just install Ubuntu or something as dual boot or mess about in VMware and you'll figure it out quickly

BTW maybe it's me but it just refuses to edit my keyboard config for some reason.... I can't get it on be latin1. I mean it's on there, but it doesn't change anything
    Last edited by Entity_Razer; 11-08-2005 at 02:11 PM.

XS Intel News & DČOL enhanced
    Thankyou sooo much!!

Xtreme Member
    if my pen drive isnt called sda ie. cannot find specified device error keeps popping up how do i find out what it is called? sorry everytime i try linux none of my networking cards work so i give up and run home to mommy. so i know s**t
    EVGA 780i SLI
    Intel Q6600 @ 3.6 on Water
    8GB Corsair DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15
    2x GTX 260 SLI + 8800GTS 640 PHYSx
    Corsair 1000W PSU
    Antec 1200
    1TB Seagate

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrazar
    if my pen drive isnt called sda ie. cannot find specified device error keeps popping up how do i find out what it is called? sorry everytime i try linux none of my networking cards work so i give up and run home to mommy. so i know s**t
    make sure it is in a FAT32 format because Linux can read that as well as windows and put some sort of file on it. Open Emelfm from the desktop and go to /mnt , one of the folders in there will be your pen drive if it is mounted. Just look in them till you find your file and that is it.

Under Emelfm my pen drive was named sda1 but to get it to create the bootable version i had to enter the name as sda without the 1 when i was cerating it from the program. It took me about an hour to figure that one out.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by KaptainBlaZzed
    make sure it is in a FAT32 format because Linux can read that as well as windows and put some sort of file on it. Open Emelfm from the desktop and go to /mnt , one of the folders in there will be your pen drive if it is mounted. Just look in them till you find your file and that is it.

Under Emelfm my pen drive was named sda1 but to get it to create the bootable version i had to enter the name as sda without the 1 when i was cerating it from the program. It took me about an hour to figure that one out.
    I went out and got a 256k pendrive a couple days ago. I figure at the very least it will save a lot of electricity since I won't need to have a HD connected and spinning all the time.

sda is the entire device's name. Think of it like your whole hard drive. sda1 & sda2 are the partitions on the "hard drive". If you plug the pendrive into one of your Windowz rigs you'll see it show up with two different drive letters. sda1 is the system/OS partition with just 50mb, while sda2 is the storage/backup partition with all the remaining space (depends on the size of your pendrive).

I used DamnSmallLinux v2.0rc2 from the link provided by KaptainBlaZzed and didn't notice any difference between the Flash-ZIP and Flash-HDD installs. Four D2OL installs wont fit in the /dsl directory because that's a symbolic link to the image on the 50mb partition, so I used the GUI mounter which runs in the default setup on the righthand side and reads "floppy", to mount sda2 and install there. Click on one of the arrow buttons under the word "floppy" til it reads "sda2" then click on the screw button to the left of the arrow buttons. Download the D2OL GUI installer to sda2, open a root (super-user) shell, cd /mnt/sda2, sh ./installD2OL.bin, tell it to use sda2, and you're set. Repeat with different sda2 directories as needed.

A similar distribution with perhaps even easier pendrive install is Puppy Linux. Haven't tried it yet.
    DeXter::2xXeon2.4@3200, GF6800, PC-DL, 1gb Centon, IWT+panaflo air, Win7
    Quad::Q6600(g0)@3400(1.30V), GTX275, 965P-DS3, 4gb HyperX, Asus SilentSquare (air), Win7_64U
    NuQuad::Q9400@3300(1.24V), 8800GT, G31M-ES2L, 2gb Patriot, stock air (bigger Q6600 one), WinXP64
    Crunch::E4300@2400, onboard, GF7100PVT-M3, 2gb Patriot CL5, stock air, Vista64U

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    Great stuff!
    I have a question anyway: Can you run the pendrive on any PC? For example I install it on a axp rig and wanna run it on an intel based rig? Will it work? Dont need to upload results, so network drivers, etc dont have to work.
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

XS_THE_MACHINE
    It should work on another architecture, but the kernel wont be optimized for the cpu, chipset etc.
    Question:
    Can i run d2ol on a linux machine and run it as a service so that i dont have to be logged in.
    Reason is that there is a security issue staying logged in as this is my server.
    FX-8320
    Asus M5A97 r2.0
    8 Gb Gskill
    Radeon 7870 Tahiti LE
    Corsair 750 watt