Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well, I have frost....

Xtreme Member
    Well, I don't have pics, but I've torn the system apart.....why.......

I have a system leak. The leak is very minor, so I didn't find it right away. With R134a, the system pressure was ~50psi static. At that pressure, it wouldn't leak. With porpane and static pressures of 95psi, it would leak out at ~1.5psi/hr untill it reached ~60psi.

I believe it was on the suction side, as the system ran ~15hrs fine with no capacity loss under load. But, leave it set, pressure dropped. That tells me when it's running, and the suction side pressure is very low, no leak. But, in static conditions, low side pressure is much higher, and leak.

Anyway, I think I found the bad braze. I wanted to redo the system anyway with a desuperheater, so I have that going right now. I'll make the entire low side 5/16" tube, like the original water fountain. Plus, a new filter/drier and use dentured alcy instead of water in the resivor. I'll get some initial pics up tomorrow.

RussC

Xtreme Addict
    Harking back to the heat load from your pump. You are saying 30/40 (75%) of the energy used to power the pump is wasted i.e. the pump is only 25% efficient. Give the brand some more credit!

As for your pressure drops perhaps you are not taking into account the compressor and refrigerant cooling down.

Xtreme Member
    OK,
    Im not sure what the efficiency of a electric motor is? If I have some spare time over the holidays, I'll take a look.

On the leak, I believe there is a leak. If you look at the PT charts, Propane at 21c is 127psi, R134a is 69psi. Its nearly double. At room temp, the same weight charge is ~2x the pressure. So, I monitored it for 2 days. After ~3hrs the charge stabilized ~18c at 93psi. After 24hrs, it was 62psi. Thats a leak.

RussC

Quote Originally Posted by SexyMF
    Harking back to the heat load from your pump. You are saying 30/40 (75%) of the energy used to power the pump is wasted i.e. the pump is only 25% efficient. Give the brand some more credit!

As for your pressure drops perhaps you are not taking into account the compressor and refrigerant cooling down.

Xtreme Addict
    I concur.

Xtreme Member
    OK,
    Tore system apart. cut new base, just screwed old base to wood pcs. Im going to 5/16" copper for the evap. Im not going to have a superheater after the evap. I figured I'll put the extra coils in the evap for more cooling.

the system redo will have this large desuperheater. I'll put a fan on it also, but thats later

And the entire layout with larger drier.

I hope to have it all brazed up pretty quick. Will be using 72" of 0.031cap instead of the 58" I had.

RussC

Xtreme Addict
    I use 2 coils of 5/16". Also, good upgrade to the filter/dryer

Xtreme Member
    OK,
    Got the system brazed. Here is the layout

Next, as I get better at brazing, captube splice...sweet

Im also getting the feel for compression fittings. Ive got a good feel for how much to tighten. They didn't need any adjustment, and the system has held vac for 6hrs now. Let it go overnight, then fill and test in the morning

RussC

Xtreme Addict
    I stripped my board back down to it's original state. I have finished my testing. I've learned heaps and are now tracking down a Danfoss NL11F compressor because mine is just to loud. Also, the motherboard is difficult to insulate (not much clear area around the socket). I may jump up to direct-die cooling using a chilly1 block.

I'm keen to see how your new setup goes.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    can i ask you what liquid you used to go under 0C? thx!

Xtreme Member
    anti-freeze and water. 50/50 split is good for -35c. 75/25 is good for -85c.

RussC

Quote Originally Posted by Malachia
    can i ask you what liquid you used to go under 0C? thx!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    what kind of anti-freeze? the one that you use in cars or another kind?

-100c Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RussC
    anti-freeze and water. 50/50 split is good for -35c. 75/25 is good for -85c.

RussC
    wow where u get that antifreeze ?? i can only get glycol here, in which the freezing point is -25ºC, in its pure state

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Some antifreeze is already mixed up with water but I foun that normal undiluted car antifreeze in a 50/50 ratio does about -30c without freezing and 66/33 gives about -40c without freezing.

It does get thick though... Pump needs to be strong at these temps.

Realistically in a average chiller liquid temps are not below -30c so 50/50 works good

Xtreme Member
    This info is right on the Prestone Antifreeze 1 gallon container. Thats were I got it. I wouldn't try to run a 75/25 mix at -85c, it would be so thick, it probably wouldn't pump much, unless you have a STOUT pump.

Johann is right, it does thicken, But wont freeze. Your better off using alcohol/antifreeze mix. But, you need a air tight resevoir to hold the alcy from evaporating out.

RussC

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster
    wow where u get that antifreeze ?? i can only get glycol here, in which the freezing point is -25ºC, in its pure state

Xtreme Member
    how far u got with the rebuild now?

Xtreme Member
    Ya,
    Its been a while. Im also working other jobs to pay the rent. I have some pics to post tomorrow, but haven't done much. Im completely re-doing the resivoir

RussC

Quote Originally Posted by Vex
    how far u got with the rebuild now?
    Last edited by RussC; 12-20-2005 at 04:20 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    My mix of about 60/40 started to ice up at -50C.

Xtreme Member
    Ok,
    Got the new pics.

First, I scraped the old resivor and starting a build on another....

The res will be inside this PVC tube. This will be easy to insulate. All will get glued together and the compression fittings will mount the 1/2" ID tube.

Wrapped 5/16" copper as small as I could get them and fit into the 3" pipe. There will be two sections, one inside the other..

I still need to braze the bottom together, then install in the pipe, glue it all together then braze into the system and test. Im getting the pump tomorrow, but will not get to work on the system till well after the holidays. I then may have to go to the semi-conductor fab near Sacramento to work on a chiller for the wafer etchers we build. So I may not get back to this project for 2 weeks.

Happy Holidays,
    RussC

Xtreme Member
    looking good so far, that res looks mint..i look forward to seeing it finished

happy holidays to you too!

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    Well? I have the same water fountain and am watching this very close to see what you get out of it. I don't know wether to go DD or Chilled and can't wait to see it.

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    Bump you up. What did you get out of this or did you give up?
    I am talking with chilly1 about a DD head now. Still like the idea of the chiller though.

Got an Xtreme System? Bring it here! <----

Xtreme Mentor
    update?
    French Duron Poof

Every time you lap a swiftech block a kitten dies

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

Xtreme Member
    Looking good cannt wait to see update

Xtreme Mentor
    12-23-2005, 12:00 AM <<< He's probly long since gon working in the feild or life
    Bring back natural selection! No more warning lables!

The one and Only MG Pony

Xtreme Mentor
    working...
    French Duron Poof

Every time you lap a swiftech block a kitten dies

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast