Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEWS Bill Gates says blu ray DRM is anti consumer

Xtreme Cruncher

NEWS Bill Gates says blu ray DRM is anti consumer

Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Member
    Bill Gates says alot of things...
    [Core 2 Quadro QX6700 @ 3.20Ghz] [Tuniq Tower 120] [Abit IN9 32X MAX nForce-680i SLI] [4x1024 PC2-6400 Team Xtreem @ 3338 400Mhz] [Geforce GTX 260 216 55nm @ 655/1408/2100 SLI] [2x74GB WD Raptor 10000RPM] [Tagan TurboJet 1100W] [7x TT Blue Led VR] [CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Evolution] [Samsung SH-S183A SATA] [Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC] [Logitech Z-5500]

-150c Club Member
    ...and no one still cares.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Cruncher
    well i still cares... he is in charge in the most used OS in the world... so if he says im going to make windows open source i want to know about it :P

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

OK leviathan, but the man also said "640K of RAM is enough for anybody".

You listen to him. I like computers that work
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    aww an OC virgin! lose it tonight with Xtremesystems!!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    LOOOL i know he said that i think you never tought 15+ years ago you would need 1gig of ram to run fine a pc... in fact 1gig was like WOW how MUCH is that

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey

You listen to him. I like computers that work
    And since when can people not make mistakes or say dumb things?

lol, do you really think we would be on this forum if it wasn't for windows? ...we probably couldn't even overclock, because we would all be stuck with apples...

People really don't understand what you need to make an OS for everyone one this planet, noob or pro....if a programmer makes one error every 1000 lines...it's very impressive.....but we are not talking about a few lines of code here...and there are thousands and thousands of people out there with the purpose to find every vunerability there is,...

In other words, stop the Microsoft bashing...I don't agree with everything that they do...but the PC world would have looked extremely different without Microsoft...you know that as well as I do...

I bet even Mr. Gates couldn't even predict where we are now...he's still an imperfect human you know.....but from what I have seen of him, he actually is a pretty friendly guy, and funny too at some points...

Take Bill Gates vs Steve Jobs..and you know what kind of @ss the latter one is...if it was up to him, the whole world would be Ipod white

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Xtreme Addict
    lots of people listen when bill speaks.
    ebay under aws983s, heatware under Mr. Tinker.

Xtreme Cruncher
    tim his banc account is perfect for me :P

Moral Police
    Tim, Bill Gates doesn't get bashed for making windows, he gets bashed for making mistakes, and lots of them together with a good dose of just awfull decisions.

Linux distros are also bugged but those bugs get fixed very fast and get updated very fast. + The organization of the BSD projects is a LOT better then Microsoft's organization is in my opinion.

I respect him for writing the first windows version because thats proves he is a true programmer and or a 'hacker' (I won't go in to deep just keep in mind Linux kernel is said to be a hacked kernel also, meaning addapted, written by multiple people, modified to your own willing/needs)

I believe people like Linus Torvalds, Steve Jobs etc all respect one another for their accomplishements but laugh at each other for their stupid mistakes.

BTW steve jobs, Bill Gates and some others are all on par when it comes to education and skills in my opinion. It's just the choices they made/make that differ and its those choices that make or brake a product.

BTW it's 5 errors every 1000 lines of code IIRC.

But thats "normal" and those errors can be anything from a simple typo (caps) to not declaring a object or class, or putting a program crashing on a certain value or whatever. SO don't think every error is a system crashing bohemot.

Well Tim since Windows is so damn good, I'm going to replace all the Unix servers with it.

Not. I like computers that work.
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Live Long And Overclock
    ROFL...Ung on the roll

I personally think Win2k was a godsend...and that Vista is gonna suck but the server version will have some interesting features.

As for bill gates speaking...I find that listening to ppl like bill gates and steve jobs can be beneficial. Pick up a Fortune magazine or wsj or something, a lot of good information there to give anyone a well-informed perspective on technology.

Perkam

Oh hell ya, listen hard, the guy controls half of what is happening to computers around the world. Make no mistake. I threw the old quote in to point out that even the best super genius with dandruff and poor hygiene (sorry Bill) can be short sighted and or mistaken at times. Use all the sources of information available to you.

Cheer UnG

BOYCOTT MIR's

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Didn't read the article but I agree 100% with the title.

Maybe M$ will now use this philosophy in everything they make and lose DRM altogether Yeah right.
    Rig #1 | Opteron 165 (2898 @ 1.35v) | DFI nF4 Ultra-D | GSkill ZX 2x1GB | HIS X1900XT 512MB | Seasonic S12 550w in Antec P160

http://www.last.fm/user/repoman0/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey
    OK leviathan, but the man also said "640K of RAM is enough for anybody".
    Actually i believe that was an unnamed microsoft employee, but the urban myth has built up around it being him.

What !!! The same Billy Gates that blew off IBM on OS/2 because folks would NEVER buy an OS that required a minimum 2 Megs to run....but let's keep the source rights and build NT on it just in case...no he would never say something stupid like that

BOYCOTT MIR's

YouTube Addict
    To be honest we all know that he Bought DOS, stole his GUI, Borrowed his TCP/IP code, and Cloned all His applications..
    But Never the less He still owns the Greatest Marketing company on Earth, it just happens to sell Software.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

I am Xtreme
    why are we all ragging on him?

Number one its off topic and he said something that is a huge step towards making us happy, usually the oppisite of what MS and other big companies do, i don't hack or pirate or what not, but i for one am completly against DRM, i like to be able to rip DVD's and put them into Xvid, and i want to be able to rip HDDVD and BLuray's in the same way, i think DRM is a huge backstep in the digital world. As it limits the amount of things we can do with our computers, and i someday want my dream of the HTPC to be able to come true, and i want to be able to burn/network/ and archive my media etc without some RIAA or hollywood people to tell me not to.

this is especially true because DRM really only hurts the honest consumer imo, the crackers and pirates will still get around it, and the honest joe gets stuck with a locked piece of crap.

I'm not ragging on him so much as pointing out that Willy might say one thing to make you happy and another to make his shareholders happy later. This is big business, you are lied to every single day. I really am pointing out that the wind may blow differently tomorrow as far as what he said.

Cheers
    UnG

BOYCOTT MIR's

Live Long And Overclock
    but let's keep the source rights and build NT on it just in case...no he would never say something stupid like that
    Sometimes Mr. Gates says some thing smart, like his recent address to 5 of North America's top universities that Microsoft recruites from (UofWaterloo was one of them )...and that speech I read...the amount of insight into whats coming is amazing...but then he goes and chooses sides in an ongoing battle between HD-DVD vs Bluray like this and he's asking to be judged.

True though, its walking the OT line

Perkam
    Last edited by perkam; 10-18-2005 at 06:17 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Point taken UnG, im not really expecting much to come from his statement anyways, but it's at least in the right direction

-150c Club Member
    You can also take the title a little differently...
    Its anti consumer. Therefore a consumer wouldnt buy it. Doesnt matter how good or bad it is, it wont be bought, so hes going to switch to something better or worse (probably worse) to make MORE FREAKING MONEY!

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    i guess what gates is trying to say is more like:

"the xbox360 wont support blue ray discs. but dont worry they suck anyway.

... buy our console!"

Xtreme Member
    ok, i hate him to because he's a dirty theif, but there is some logic to it, well more the part questioning next gen discs, with halographics discs already in later research stages holding 100ish gigs, 32gigs(isn't that it for blu-ray??) starts to look pretty pathetic, but he's an idiot in saying media should be on hard discs and streamed, no thanks i'd rather go to a store and pic up a movie rather than it be controlled by(hence more money) cable companies, i dont know, its late, better just end with bill sucks and go to sleep
    "each driver release plays whack-a-mole with a few more annoyances" -inq

Xtreme Member
    It must be admitted that without MS Windows, the diffusion of home PCs wouldn't have been as fast as nowadays. Where was Linux in 1985? Just think about the impact that it had on everyday life. Beside this, Gates donated half(!) of his personal wealth (~$15B) to his philanthropic organization, taking a decision which really has not precedents, and that makes me think that he is not , or at least no more, driven buy greed. He deserves all the respect.
    Asus P4C800ED P-M 730@2.8 7700Cu
    2X1GB OCZ - ATI X800XT AIW - OCZ PS 520W

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast