Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So TEC isnt for day to day?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helheim
    With a high watt TEC you'll need a seperate power supply.
    Fans and pump dont have to be on compy PSU.

Xtreme Member
    Also, is it safe to just turn the TEC off when you're not doing any extreme overclocking/running under load (when you're not there, basically)?
    Yes it is, if your video card is not overvolted or overclocked.

Due to the heat dump and power consumption of my peltiered setup, I ran my video card at stock speeds with the peltier turned off, but with the peltiered waterblock installed, for about a month of the summer. I saw load temperatures around 39 degrees celcius - not dangerous at all, and way better than stock aircooled numbers to boot

-150c Club Member
    Thats not right somehow... Tec's are insulators when not on...

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Evil Kitty
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337
    Tec's are insulators when not on...
    This is correct. TECs when not powered conduct no heat and actually insulate. Although some folks might have examples of how they ran things without powering the TEC, make no mistake, the waterblock wasn't providing any significant cooling.

Moral...always power your TEC for cooling.

And, always uses relays along with monitors (flowrates, temps, etc)
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    32GB (8 x 4) Gskill @4000
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    OS & Apps: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
    Games: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
    Storage: Crucial M500 2TB
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

With a coldplate you can get away with the TEC off on a GPU as long as your just in the desktop.

BUT you risk overheating the card if you play a game and forget to turn the TEC on, or possibly even playing a vedeo/dvd might cause you problems.

Again, an unnecicary risk IMO.

Xtreme Member
    Hmm, peculiar. I am aware that TECs act as insulators when not powered, but I was not aware that they were "perfect" insulators.

As I said, I ran my X700 Pro without issue at stock speeds and voltages, for gaming, web browsing, and watching movies, and my load temperatures averaged around 39 degrees celcius throughout (as measured at the direct rear of the GPU core, on the reverse side of the PCB) with the TEC powered off. The card overclocked just as minty after this treatment as she did before it... I fully intend to run my next card in this manner as well, if the heat dump and electrical consumption becomes an issue again.

I also intend to not be a careless fool twice, and use a relay every single time I bench this time around... :bannana:

They are not perfect insulators by a long way.

But they are not very good conductors thats for sure... but like I said .. with a cold plate to spread the heat you will be ok as long as your not putting too much wattage out.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Butte MT home of the worlds largest body of contaminated water
    I agree with Holst you can probably get away with it on your x700 felinusz but on something like a x8x0 series or a 6800/7800 or a CPU other than maybe a socket a mobile I wouldn't risk it that just to much heat to risk not being able to dissipate fast enough.

I would never risk it on a CPU.

A CPU can go to high load under normall windows applications.

Where as you wont load a GPU unless you play a game.

beefin' it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Helheim
    With a high watt TEC you'll need a seperate power supply.
    yes yes, i know. I meant off the same seperate power supply. Trust me, I know plenty about peltier powersupply requirements... *shudders*

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yea, but with a relay wouldnt the TEC never be shut off as long as the system is running?

I may even leave my system on for days at a time, will that be a bad thing with a TEC?

TECs dont sound to scary the way Marci said lol.

Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    I'll come blow on your heatsink for a dollar. Thats pretty ghetto
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony
    sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!
    Check out my forum: http://www.anarchyst-it.com

beefin' it up!
    well, basically what i'm saying is have the cooling powered completely seperately from the computer and all from the same spot, so that no one component of the cooling can be on without the others being on.
    as for leaving system for days at a time... could be scary and fire-causing.

-150c Club Member
    if youve worked out your system it shouldnt be a problem

as long as your cooling is up to par no problem ... you can run tec system endlessly.. given all other factors are taken care of as well condensation etc...
    AMD Sempron 3000+ socket754 @ 2.4 ghz with peltier chilled watercooling.

Evil Kitty
    Once I had my BIOS temp shutdowns set, and my TEC PSU relay in place, I ran my TEC system 24/7. I tested it by simulating pump failure, and other cooling system failures, and it worked great. As long as the TEC PSU is relayed to the rest of the system so that it cannot be powered on with the pump or anything else off, your safe.
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Xtreme Cruncher

Tec error page needs to be made!!

we need to start a page that is nothing but pic's of where people did something wrong with there Tec and had a melt down like the one showed in this thread!!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by littleowl
    we need to start a page that is nothing but pic's of where people did something wrong with there Tec and had a melt down like the one showed in this thread!!!!
    yes
    "Monolith" - [ Xeon W3540 (4.22) - Rampage 2 Extreme - 12 GB Ripjaws 1600 - GTX 570 - 120 GB OCZ Vertex - Antec TruePower 750W - Corsair 700D - Apogee XT CPU Block - XSPC 360 Rad ]
    Old Box - [ E4600 2.4 @ 3.7ghz (11x335) - P5W-DH - 4gb Gskill @ 893mhz - Radeon 3850 ]

Xtreme Cruncher
    it would need a sticky!!!!!! I am working on my first water cooled system and my first tec system!! I am just really scared I will mess something up and fry it all!!!!!!!!

-150c Club Member
    Msg me on AIM littleowl if you want any help or advice.

AIM - HWA NoL

Xtreme Cruncher
    I will n00b 0f l337 I have everything ready I am just waiting on my pump from DD

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by felinusz
    Hmm, peculiar. I am aware that TECs act as insulators when not powered, but I was not aware that they were "perfect" insulators.

As I said, I ran my X700 Pro without issue at stock speeds and voltages, for gaming, web browsing, and watching movies, and my load temperatures averaged around 39 degrees celcius throughout (as measured at the direct rear of the GPU core, on the reverse side of the PCB) with the TEC powered off. The card overclocked just as minty after this treatment as she did before it... I fully intend to run my next card in this manner as well, if the heat dump and electrical consumption becomes an issue again.

I also intend to not be a careless fool twice, and use a relay every single time I bench this time around... :bannana:
    I did the same thing with an 80w tec and it seemed to work pretty good. I have a feeling that a lot of the heat gets turned into electricity is grounded off. My temps were around the same as I got with just water so the tec was almost transparent. IMO tec as insulator could well be a myth but I'll wait until I get a functional setup to test.

CCBBE 0610DPMW 2800@1.33v - X1900XT 256mb - Twinmos powerchip 2-3-3-8 230ish - XFI Xtreme Gamer - OCZ Powerstream 520 Adjustable-AeroCool Spiral Galaxy

Evil Kitty
    Quote Originally Posted by gbomb944
    IMO tec as insulator could well be a myth
    Its not an insulator, but a non powered TEC is a very very poor thermal conductor. Try running a non powered TEC on a GPU that throws some real heat and you'll find out quickly that little heat makes it way to the waterblock.
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa
    Its not an insulator, but a non powered TEC is a very very poor thermal conductor. Try running a non powered TEC on a GPU that throws some real heat and you'll find out quickly that little heat makes it way to the waterblock.
    Whats the diff between a poor thermal conductor and an insulator?

Xtreme Member
    i was gonna get a vapochill and didnt because its to dangerous for me & dont trust myself lol then thought i would try a tec, after reading this thread im gonna stick to WC i think which ive only just got and try not wonder to far yet lol
    Last edited by tatts; 11-08-2005 at 05:24 PM.
    I7 920 D0 (4.2GHZ HT on) // eVGA Classified // 6GB Corsair dominator 1600mhz // Asus HD5770 x2 // Corsair HX850 /--/
    PA120.3 // EK Supreme LT // MCP655 // MM Ufo (soon to be TJ07)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    meh i decided tec wont cool enough ^_^ so Im going to start up a chilled liquid project one my w/c system is up and running :-D

especially since there are other way around the tools unlike in phasechange .

Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    I'll come blow on your heatsink for a dollar. Thats pretty ghetto
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony
    sorry to sound harsh but so would you if some one asked if nitroglycerin was a good coolant for his car!
    Check out my forum: http://www.anarchyst-it.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast