Thread: Cooler Master RS-450-ACLX ok?

Cooler Master RS-450-ACLX ok?

Wanted to pickup a PS today at Micro Center, don't want to spend $$$. Looking for a good PS at a good price I saw what seemed to be a couple options, a Cooler Master "Real Power 450" for $39.99 afer $30 rebate and some other brand I don't remember 400 watt for $29.99 after $10 reabate, but the $29 one has PFC, Cooler Master one doesn't have PFC ~ hmm... I saw on the display model Cooler Master that the price used to be $119, so I figured maybe $39.99 is a pretty good deal?

How important is PFC? I'm not going to be running SLI so 450 watts is plenty, but I don't want any PS related problems. Is there any other under $50 that might be better/more reliable/quieter? Or is this a pretty good deal, and maybe the this PS built solid enough to be trouble free for a couple years? So far I think my (other than non-PFC) only concern is how long a "rifle bearing" fan will last.

Xtreme Member
    Complete system specs please.

The new XCillo 450W & Fortron 400w/450W would seem to be fine.

I got that power supply already, I think I'll keep it, unless I find out that it's crappy. I don't know yet how important "PFC" is. I would guess that how efficient a power supply is might roughly correspond with how cool it runs, how long it lasts, and how stable it is.

You asked for system specs, ok, so far:

Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 0517 DPMW running at 266Mhz/2.4Ghz
    ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 MB memory set to "133" running at ~ 171 Mhz
    2x 512 MB Centon PC3200 with Elixer chips (made by Nanya I think)
    WD 8000JB IDE HD
    eVGA 6800 nu with all pipes & vertex units unlocked, slightly overclocked
    Coolermaster RS-450-ACLX power supply
    Antec "Premium" mid tower ATX case old solidly built heavy steel case
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro EX

Might put my ATi HDTV Wonder card in this system, not sure yet.

I didn't see anything called "HTT" in the BIOS settings, running std. factory 1.20 BIOS, default voltage on both CPU and memory. If I up the memory setting from "133" to "166" with the FSB increased to 266 from 200 the system won't boot. I'm not planing on going much higher than 266 but I would like a little higher speed on the memory. Thinking of getting an XP-90 HS, not really sure which HS to get yet though, would like to get good value, not going to go to Xtreme on this system for now I think, maybe I will later.

This power supply comes with a meter, so far the system stays under 100 Watts on the meter even when playing FPS game online, I don't imagine that could be accurate? It must be closer to 200 Watts, no?
    Last edited by critofur; 10-12-2005 at 07:25 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Your max combined +12V is only 12V@22A: http://www.coolermaster.com/index.ph...%20Power%20450

Probably "ok" with a 6800nu, but if you upgrade, you want a min of +12V@26A.

YouTube Addict
    it will not cut it if you ever upgrade...
    and you really shouldn't cheap out when it comes to one of the most vital parts of your system...
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was