Thread: X2 problems... ideas??

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI

X2 problems... ideas??

So I get my x2 3800+up and running and all is happy until I install a Catalyst Driver... after install and reboot the rig freezes at welcome screen.... EVERY time!
    It runs fine with default XP video driver but when a radeon driver (and I've tried several DIFFERENT ones) is installed boom! No go.
    Now this IS a refurb'd A8N-SLI-Dlx... could it be a bad mobo?

3800+ X2
    A8N-SLI-Dlx
    X800XL

thx!

Xtreme Addict
    hrm
    you installed chipset drivers first I assume?
    Not to question the Jedi master , but just wondering.

Assume the SLI module is correctly oriented?

Not sure what else it could be. Do you have another vid card to try?
    it's never fast enough!

Charlie, I doubt it's the chip itself that is the problem. It's some weird driver issue.

What version of the chipset drivers did you install?
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    aww an OC virgin! lose it tonight with Xtremesystems!!!

Xtreme Member
    maybe it has something to do with catalyst control center. have you tried the drivers with just the regular ati control panel. i had some issues before with CCC.

The CCC doesn't load until most of the OS services and desktop is running usually
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

YouTube Addict
    I say get a 7800GTx and forget about the driver issue...
    Or Get the latest Chipset driver and the Latest Bios perhaps it should work...
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

OT:
    Do you work for Nvidia nn_step? Or are you funded by them in some way? Seriously.

I ask because Charlie is troubleshooting a problem with his rig, not debating on buying a new video card. I'm just wondering why you felt the need to say that and I was wondering if you HAD to for reasons we should know. Just curious, a yes or no will suffice. Not looking for a flame war.

BOYCOTT MIR's

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    yeah, it's the latest nf4 driver from nvidia.com, I think it's 6.6.6??

I load winxp, the original, no SP's... then I load the chipset driver, then sp1a, then attempt the graphics driver.... the same routing I've used for years

And I don't use the stiupid control center thing, I just load the display driver...

And the X800XL ran fine on a P5WD2/679 rig a couple weeks ago...

C

YouTube Addict
    why? I just love excellent openGL support that is all.. and Unix drivers...
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Doesn't the latest CCC require that the Microsoft .net framework be at the latest rev of patches before installation? I know the patches for .net aren't up to date with SP1, you may need to patch it first prior to installing the cats... just an idea

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    why? I just love excellent openGL support that is all.. and Unix drivers...
    Charlie is running Windows. With an ATI card. I don't think he really needs Unix drivers and excellent openGL support.

BOYCOTT MIR's

Xtreme Member
    maybe just format and try again... it happens some times.
    x2 4800 - 2860mhz
    dfi nf4 sli-dr
    7800 gtx 500 / 1300
    mushkin redline @ 260/3.2v

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey
    Doesn't the latest CCC require that the Microsoft .net framework be at the latest rev of patches before installation? I know the patches for .net aren't up to date with SP1, you may need to patch it first prior to installing the cats... just an idea
    He's not USING the control center, he said he was using the normal old fashioned ATI Display Drivers.

However which drivers are you using? Cos it could be that the latest ones need at least SP1 to work (wouldn't suprise me at all).
    Conroe E6300 ES
    2x1gb Ballistix PC8000
    Asus P5W DH Deluxe (1705)
    Manli Geforce 7950GT 512mb
    Hiper Type-R 480w
    Samsung SP250

"What did the quantam duck say?" "Quark Quark"

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Ok, weird stuff. I ALWAYS USED TO just load winxp, throw in a display driver and all would work... they must have changed sh*t around because i finally got it to work, BUT!!!!! I had to load winxp then sp1a, AND THEN dx9 before it'd let me load the display driver... and BTW, what's up with M$?? They won't let you d/l dx9.0c anymore unless you validate your winxp FIRST?? Stupid. If I had to validate my version every time I setup a new o/s after corrupting or otherwise spoiling one, I'd be on the phone to INDIA 10 hrs. a day...

C

Yeah M$ is getting to be a bit of a pain that way. I have a corporate license for winnydoze thanks god.... enter the serial and I'm off but that's expensive as heck, convenient when you bench though.

Glad it worked out for you.

BOYCOTT MIR's

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah M$ is getting to be a bit of a pain that way. I have a corporate license for winnydoze thanks god.... enter the serial and I'm off but that's expensive as heck, convenient when you bench though.

Glad it worked out for you.
    how much?
    Conroe E6300 ES
    2x1gb Ballistix PC8000
    Asus P5W DH Deluxe (1705)
    Manli Geforce 7950GT 512mb
    Hiper Type-R 480w
    Samsung SP250

"What did the quantam duck say?" "Quark Quark"

Xtreme Member
    by the way,, if u set up automatic updates, you do not have to "validate" it just downloads and installs them. i recomend setting it to automatically download updates for you, then you choose to install them or not.
    x2 4800 - 2860mhz
    dfi nf4 sli-dr
    7800 gtx 500 / 1300
    mushkin redline @ 260/3.2v

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie
    If I had to validate my version every time I setup a new o/s after corrupting or otherwise spoiling one, I'd be on the phone to INDIA 10 hrs. a day...

C

Tell me about it !!! been there and will be there again, porbaly this week ! hehe
    24/7 Work & Play Rig
    Gigabyte X58A-UD5, i7 920 @ 4.56ghz 1.48v 21x217, G.Skill PI 12Gb 8-8-8-24-1T 1.56V @ 1736Mhz
    EK Supreme HF P1, Dual EK DCP 4.0 Pumps and EK Res, XSPC RX360 & RX240 w/ 1850rpm GT's
    Sapphire HD 4870 1Gb @ 810/1020mhz, 2x Dell 2407, 2x 1Tb WD Black SATA3, 2x 2Tb Hitachi 7k2000
    Cooler Master ATCS 840, Corsair 750TX PSU, running OSX 10.6.3 & Win 7 64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie
    Ok, weird stuff. I ALWAYS USED TO just load winxp, throw in a display driver and all would work... they must have changed sh*t around because i finally got it to work, BUT!!!!! I had to load winxp then sp1a, AND THEN dx9 before it'd let me load the display driver... and BTW, what's up with M$?? They won't let you d/l dx9.0c anymore unless you validate your winxp FIRST?? Stupid. If I had to validate my version every time I setup a new o/s after corrupting or otherwise spoiling one, I'd be on the phone to INDIA 10 hrs. a day...

C

Charlie, I grabbed one of these boards also and must say its working awesome. I did read though that if you are using the newest chipset drivers you MUST be running SP2 or certain things will not work properly. Maybe this is the problem?
    Under Construction....

For future reference, just turn off validation and you are all set. In IE go to Tools, Internet Options, Programs, Manage Add-ons, find the Validation add-on and disable it
    *My Rig*
    3800+ X2 @ 2.6Ghz | DFI NF4 Ultra-D | EVGA 6800GT PCIe | Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB)| Lian-Li V1200B | 74GB Raptor | Seagate 300GB 7200.8 SATA | Dell 2001FP | Seasonic S12 600W

Laptop - Dell 700m

Xtreme Lusitanian
    yep, myself had Charlie problem everytime I install a new windows, if I forgot to install netsetup b4 the ATI drivers I cant get windows to load properly, but installing netsetup afterwards helps me, I just need to get in safe mode and reinstall ATI drivers and make everything good the 2nd time, first netsetup and then ATI drivers
    Mother Tongue speaks to me in the strangest way I ever seen, I know she sees in me the proudest child ... virando costas ao mundo orgulhosamente sos, gloria antiga volta a nos" - MOONSPELL
    Who are you to criticize, to judge and burn the tribes, the world will be extinct and your flesh will rot with mine - SEPULTURA

XS WCG