Thread: Can someone give me some info on going to a pelt?

Xtreme Member

Can someone give me some info on going to a pelt?

I've got a 1700+ stable at 2 ghz even (12 x 166), at 2.05v, and I'm trying to drop my temps a bit.

The thing is stable right now (until it dies of voltage death, at least), but if the room gets too hot, my load temp goes from 38 to about 40, and once it hits that magical 40 degrees, i start getting crashes all over the place.
    I fear for when summer gets here

So anyways, I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't involve more cutting of my case, or rebuilding my watercooling.

I'm running a maze3, BIXtreme, Ehiem 1250, 1/2" tubing. The air coming off the rad is still cool, so I don't think I've maxed out what the setup can handle, it just can't get the heat away from the CPU fast enough. So what I'm looking for is a pelt that will take me down 10-20 degrees. Nothing below zero, or even too much below ambient. I don't want to have to mess with condensation, I just want to drop my temps enough that I don't have to be scared when summer gets here.

So here's my questions:
    what kind of wattage pelt should I be looking for?
    what do the "cold plates" for waterblocks do, and do I need to order one?
    does it have to be hooked up to a seperate power supply?

Thanks guys!

I'd get a 226watt peltier ,really powerfull,but be carefull with the condensation!!
    Yes u need to order a cold plate, it's really important to have one, u don't want to have a peltier directly attached to your cpu!!
    Witch psu do u have?? Peltiers require a power supply that can supply at least 14 amps at 12 volts to work efficiently.If you psu supplies about 14-15 amps @12v you won't need to hooked up to another psu!!
    Help Save Lives Join World Community Grid!

Barton - 3DMark01 SE Scores:
    23753 Marks - 9800Pro@XT / Barton 2500+@2746MHz
    21722 Marks - 9500np@9700 / Barton 2500+@2712MHz

Xtreme Member
    If u gonna run a 226w u will need a new psu... and the condensation will be heavy, but i would go for one nyways
    Whats the answer to this question?

I'm using the Swiftech MCW 462 water cooled pelt .....its a nice system.....very good installation help with condensation issues.

my temps run 17 to 18 at full load with a healthy oc..

go here and clk on TEC Cooling

http://www.swiftnets.com/

Swiftech is a bit pricy....but the quality of there products is outstanding
    AthXP-2700 @ 2.6ghz (13 x 200)
    Asus A7N8X Dlx
    2 x 512mg Corsair pc3500
    Swiftech MCW 462-UT H2O Pelt
    Antec tru power 430 watt
    Lian Li Case
    Ati 9700 pro

Hardass
    I would check for a problem in that rig. It should not be crashing at 40c. I have two 1700,s running at 2100MHz temps in the lower 50c range and no crashes.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would have to agree with hardass. Your system can't be that stable if it crashes at 40c. But to answer your question, I wouldn't go with a big 226 watt pelt. I would go for something smaller like 172 or even 112 if you can find it. You just want to cool it down some, not freeze the chip and everything else around it. I have a 226 watt pelt, but no matter what system you put it in, it will create condensation and you said that you want to avoid that. Also, to be safe, I would put it on a different power supply. I had two power supplies in my case until I got a bigger one that was meant for pelts and not motherboards.

hedge
    Intel Core I7 3930K 4.4Ghz | Asus Radeon HD7870 | 8 GB Ram | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | Lenovo L220x Monitor | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers