Thread: How many pc's can you hook up to the mains power?

Xtreme Member

How many pc's can you hook up to the mains power?

Like the title says, how many pc's can we connect up to the mains power before we start having issues?

What we want to do is organise a LAN at a friend's place with up to 8 persons, all with moderately powerful machines.
    Who has had experience with this sort of scenario?
    Reckon we'd be alright with that amount of current drawn?

Thanks,

Dave
    No rig right now.

Xtreme Addict
    You can start by finding out what outlets are on what breakers, and how much current each breaker can handle.
    ebay under aws983s, heatware under Mr. Tinker.

Xtreme Member
    Awesome, we have a start heh.
    Thanks for that, it's at a mate's place so we'll have a look tonight after work.

We're in NZ w/ 230W lines if that makes any difference.
    No rig right now.

Xtreme Member
    i have a 20 amp (110v) line that runs into my basement, and have had 4 pcs running on it, along with 2 crts, an lcd, and a few other small things.

i have never had any issues.

when we lan at my friends garage, we have had 10+ pcs and CRTs split across two circuits. No issues

xtreme energy
    It depends what kind of fuse you have. I know that I have 20A 500V one, so the total maximum for my house would be 20 x 500 = 10,000W. And average PC with CRT monitor takes some 400-500 watts.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    a typical PC would be only about 250w under load, max (unless your running a crazy SLI config with dual, dual-core P4-EE's or something ) and a CRT monitor is under 100w afaik... 300w is probably more realistic.
    Opteron 170 @ 3.0Ghz on air, Opteron 144 @ 3.1Ghz on air

Xtreme Member
    I have 4 machines, router, switchs, a hub, monitor, speakers everything run to one large outdoor extention cord running dirrectly to the fuse box on a 20 amp fuse in the basement. That way the computers stuff isn`t running off the old house wiring. No issuses at all, untill I run the A/C on that line too, then once and awhile it`ll blow the power strip I have them all connected to. :o
    The world`s only triple phase-changer PC in one case.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for all the input guys, we're still trying to wrap our heads round this one.
    It may have to be a case of connecting everything up and seeing if it blows lol.
    No rig right now.

Xtreme Mentor
    I have been able to reset a 15 amp breaker with a a 1/3HP compressor, a 1HP compressor 2 monitors, 2 computers, some audio equipment and a TV. I have senice upgraded to 40 amps. I have put 4 computers, 3 monitors, a TV, 3 1HP compressors on it and reset it, there might have been another 1/2 HP compressor in there too, I can't remember.

There might have been a few other little things on those circuts too, like VCRs, clocks, and game consoles, I don't keep track of how they are loaded too carefully.
    For those of you about to post: