Thread: Phase Change Problems - Evapouration straight after condenser

Phase Change Problems - Evapouration straight after condenser

I have 2 vapochill LS units and they have both been working fine; until one started acting weird earlier today. Since I have already taken the sides off my units (voiding my warranty), I really need to get the problem fixed myself.

Basically, the thin pipe straight after the condenser, which leads to the evapourator head is getting cold, and I think evapouration is taking place in it. I get ice crystals forming on it and the evapourator takes ages to cool.

Unloaded, the unit does get to -60C, allthough it takes around 10 minutes (way too long). But when it is loaded, the temps started to go UP.

Any ideas of what the problem is or how I can fix it?
    Thanks.
    [Main] Two Vapochill LS' on Dual Opteron 250s, 6800 Ultra, 4GB ECC Reg RAM, 2x 74G Raptors, 600gb NAS, Iwill DK8N
    [Secondary] FX 55, Dual 6800 Ultra SLi, 1Gig Gskill LE, 2x 74G Raptors, PCP&P 510 SLi, DFI NF4 SLI Cooled by Aqua Computer
    [Tertiary] 4800+ X2, 2x1GB Ballistix z503, X1900 XTX, DFI NF4 SLi (A8N SUCKED!)
    + 4 more rigs with all sortsa crap

Xtreme Member
    somewhere where the 2nd compressor isn't needed
    flash gas I guess. It think it's undercharged / leaking. Is your unit modded in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by Cr@sh_D1n3r
    flash gas I guess. It think it's undercharged / leaking. Is your unit modded in any way?
    As far as I can see there are no visible leaks but I'll have a closer look. My unit has not (yet) been modded but the side has been taken off in order to pull the evap hose out further.
    [Main] Two Vapochill LS' on Dual Opteron 250s, 6800 Ultra, 4GB ECC Reg RAM, 2x 74G Raptors, 600gb NAS, Iwill DK8N
    [Secondary] FX 55, Dual 6800 Ultra SLi, 1Gig Gskill LE, 2x 74G Raptors, PCP&P 510 SLi, DFI NF4 SLI Cooled by Aqua Computer
    [Tertiary] 4800+ X2, 2x1GB Ballistix z503, X1900 XTX, DFI NF4 SLi (A8N SUCKED!)
    + 4 more rigs with all sortsa crap

Xtreme Addict
    Yup. It's been leaking and is undercharged.

Been there with my Mach2 that was modded, same symptoms.

I find when I'm charging a system up I'll get some evap taking place in the capillary before it fully charged.

You'll need to get it to someone to do a leak test, repair, and regass. I'd say if you want it improved, consider the extra expense of having the compressor changed to a NL11F or whatever passes for that in your country of origin.

See Jan's and Ricky/Pedro's threads about the improved VapoLS and you'll see what I mean. May as well spend a little more if you have to have it worked on anyway

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Oops lol just noticed you don't live all that far from me.

Here in the UK, as far as companies that repair 'em, there's really only EP-UK that does it as a business. I'm sure you could find a fridge repair company that could help, but you might not be happy with what happens. It's similar, but not the same, and most of 'em won't touch the work to be honest (I tried)

Otherwise, there's a couple of people that do the work here in the UK on the side. PM me if you need to know how to get ahold of 'em.

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    One last word (I'm spamming here) you don't really want to run that thing too much til it's fixed. The refrigerant is what's cooling the compressor, and if you run it too low it'll overheat the compressor pretty quick. Just to let you know.

Cheers

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-100c Club Member
    photo?
    P5N-Tdlx 780i SLI-Q6600 G0 @3,6ghz.. liquid-2x1gb Geil Blak Dragon 900mhz 4-4-4-10-Pov 8800gt 740-1850-1050 stock cooling-Antec Tc 550Watt-Raptor 10k-2x80gb ide Raid0-500gb sata2 raid0-320gb sata II

Xtreme Member
    somewhere where the 2nd compressor isn't needed
    Ya and if the leak is on the low side you could get air getting in.. not so good for such systems :P

Xtreme Enthusiast
    get it fixed the leaking is not good, global warming