Page 4 of 209 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Opteron 939 Overclocking Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gundamit
    Nope. I'm on water. But I think you can see from the volts I'm running someone with good air could see 3ghz like dogsx2.

Looks like I'm hitting a wall where >1.52v doesn't really net me more speed. While I'm scratching my head over that, I decided to start testing some memory to to knock down some rumors of the Opty being picky. I'm starting with my TCCD.

**snipped image**

Temps aren't topping out as high today. Maybe ambient temps are down and the block is settling.

Tommorow old school BH-5.

Speaking of tommorow ... I sure everyone and their mother will start posting their results. Sure would be nice if we could do one stop shoping for info on the Opty in a single thread. Yes. That is a hint. Anyone up to maintaining a database of results and a thread that might be sticky bound?
    What kind of TCCD were you using with this test and on was it on BP 808?
    ■ CM Stacker 830 Evo ■ Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe ■ Opteron 185 ■ G.Skill 2GB HZ ■ eVGA 7900GS KO ■ Segate 200GB/300GB ■ Pioneer DVR-111D ■ BenQ 1655 ■ Ext. BenQ 1640 ► EW164B ■ Corsair HX520W ■ Dell 2005FPW Rev. A0 ■ Logitech z-680 ■

■ Watercooling by Swiftech ■ Apogee GT ■ MCW60 ■ MCP-655B ■ MCR220 QP ■ MCRES-Micro Res ■ Masterkleer 7/16" ID / 5/8" OD ■

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by asianguy80
    What kind of TCCD were you using with this test and on was it on BP 808?
    Its the OCZ Plat rev.2 in my sig. I think thats BP PCB. The Hynix I was testing with earlier was 808.

Glad to see Eva2000 has some of the Opties on the way. Not sure we'll see any new wrinkles in the memory controller but if there are any, he'll figure them out.
    Sourcing parts for a mildly over clocked abacus.

Xtreme Legend
    Its the OCZ Plat rev.2 in my sig. I think thats BP PCB. The Hynix I was testing with earlier was 808.

Glad to see Eva2000 has some of the Opties on the way. Not sure we'll see any new wrinkles in the memory controller but if there are any, he'll figure them out.
    that's for sure....he can be a bit slow...cause of all those goodies he's been playing with lately hehehehehhe
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    damn, I really want one now....... I've only had this 4400 for 2 weeks, hehehehehe. Well, time to sell sell sell...
    ALIENS are bringing my next kentsfield based rig in a UFO case!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ianocean
    Is the multiplier locked?

Love and Peace!
    Quote Originally Posted by xenolith
    read: no
    Got a fan over those memory sticks? No? Well get to it before you kill them

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ianocean
    Is the multiplier locked?
    Ela filoui

The multi is locked in exactly the same way it is locked on A64 CPU's, only upwards. Access to lower multipliers is fully available, this is my understading of the situation.
    Seasonic Prime TX-850 Platinum | MSI X570 MEG Unify | Ryzen 5 5800X 2048SUS, TechN AM4 1/2" ID
    32GB Viper Steel 4400, EK Monarch @3733/1866, 1.64v - 13-14-14-14-28-42-224-16-1T-56-0-0
    WD SN850 1TB | Zotac Twin Edge 3070 @2055/1905, Alphacool Eisblock
    2 x Aquacomputer D5 | Eisbecher Helix 250
    EK-CoolStream XE 360 | Thermochill PA120.3 | 6 x Arctic P12

Xtreme Addict
    My old Mushkin BH-5 seems to like the Opty just fine too. I just set the major timings and everthing else to auto. I'm pretty sure with a little tweaking the BH-5 would edge out the TCCD on the Pi run at the same speeds. No time for that. Need to see if there is an OC penalty when running 2x1gig sticks. I'll post that tommorow.

Hiding from the cops and people I ripped off
    Has anyone put one of these under phase? I am hoping to get mine by the end of next week! I'll clock the hell out of it under my newley modded mach1 and 1:1 with my patriots. I hope lol!

Xtreme Addict
    My old Mushkin BH-5 seems to like the Opty just fine too. I just set the major timings and everthing else to auto. I'm pretty sure with a little tweaking the BH-5 would edge out the TCCD on the Pi run at the same speeds. No time for that. Need to see if there is an OC penalty when running 2x1gig sticks. I'll post that tommorow.

That was my only major concern. I'll be getting one ASAP now.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by njkid32
    Has anyone put one of these under phase? I am hoping to get mine by the end of next week! I'll clock the hell out of it under my newley modded mach1 and 1:1 with my patriots. I hope lol!
    Hopefully I'll be breaking down my game rig this weekend to get at my Prommie so i can try one of these CPUs at sub zero. I'd be happy with just another 200mhz.

Hiding from the cops and people I ripped off
    Hopefully I'll be breaking down my game rig this weekend to get at my Prommie so i can try one of these CPUs at sub zero. I'd be happy with just another 200mhz.
    COOL I'll really look forward to your oc. Man I'll be gone all weekend so I wont be able to see anything till I get home. Heading to vegas to see chilly1 and hitting the tables. So I wont be home till Sunday. Hope to see what that chip has in it!!!

I am Xtreme

10ns async 9 perable 2-2-2-6 TRC 14 !?!?! Sorry but those timings SUCK. BH5 can run way tighter timings than those. If you can't run better than opteron sucks with BH5 or you have the worst ram ever.
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Xtreme Mentor
    Dude, the important timings are 2-2-2-6, and most important is that the Opteron is playing nice with the BH-5.
    Intel Rig
    2500K @ 4.8 Ghz 1.304v | ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3| 2x4Gb Ripjaws DDR3-2133 | Radeon 7970 @ 1250/1800 | Corsair HX850 PSU
    Custom Water of course

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by afireinside
    10ns async 9 perable 2-2-2-6 TRC 14 !?!?! Sorry but those timings SUCK. BH5 can run way tighter timings than those. If you can't run better than opteron sucks with BH5 or you have the worst ram ever.
    Me hangs my head in shame. Lol. That was just a quick and dirty look. Relax. This is an Opty thread.

Xtreme Addict
    Don't listen to him gundamit, those are very good timings.

afireinside, you probably still think 1T CPC is a critical timing with this CPU too.

Xtreme Addict

Me begs for Afireinside's forgiveness for dishonor to BH-5

Maybe this will calm him down a little. Yes. Yes. Still not the tightest possible. Can't believe I gave up quality time with my Patriots for this.

BTW - I don't think this CPU will have any issues with memory. Look to your mobo if you're having trouble. This should be like most SDs only faster and hotter at lower volts. Maybe like FX-57 with mild Down Syndrome.
    Last edited by gundamit; 09-28-2005 at 12:37 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Great, you gained 2% in Everest. In real-world apps that tweak would amount to zero, nothing, nada, zilch.

Now get back to work on things that matter, gundamit.

Xtreme Member
    Where can you get these

Xtreme Addict
    Monarch might have them by next week. You could also PM Vandi423.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by xenolith
    Don't listen to him gundamit, those are very good timings.

afireinside, you probably still think 1T CPC is a critical timing with this CPU too.
    It is. Whats the point of pushing the chip to the limits if your ram blows? If we weren't concerned about benching you would be better off grabbing 2 gigs of value ram, a 3800+ x2, jacking the clocks up to 2.5ghz or so, and calling it a day.

Thanks gundamit! Preamble is still a bit low though. Teamjapan said that you need a higher preamble to get max clocks. Thats what I'm worried about but other than that it looks good
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Love and Peace!
    you changed your avatar AFI!

i think what's trying to be said is that the timings really don't make that much of a difference. maybe if you're trying to break records, that's an area where i'll take everything i can get, but otherwise it's simply not important

but back on topic, we should make a list of the oc's in the first post.. or make an official thread
    Got a fan over those memory sticks? No? Well get to it before you kill them

Xtreme Addict
    It is. Whats the point of pushing the chip to the limits if your ram blows? If we weren't concerned about benching you would be better off grabbing 2 gigs of value ram, a 3800+ x2, jacking the clocks up to 2.5ghz or so, and calling it a day.
    I couldn't care less about "benching." What does synth-benching do for anyone other than give them bragging rights. And I imagine I'm in the vast majority with this opinion.

Real-world performance, that's what most people, even the more xtreme members here, want out of their o/c'ing efforts.

Xtreme Addict

gundamit

Wow, you been a busy boy while I was at work. Good job. Got anymore ram you can test? The 144 I got will go to 3050 but I think my mb is going bad besides the ram slot. I hate to buy another DFI with the new DFI boards coming out soon, have you heard when? Will have to get something to soon, hate to be on the sidelines.

I don't think on air your going to go much past 3100MHz unless you have a really good set of earplugs and a really cold room. Am looking forward to you putting yours on some real cooling. Keep up the good ground work.
    Last edited by dogsx2; 09-28-2005 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks gundamit! Preamble is still a bit low though. Teamjapan said that you need a higher preamble to get max clocks. Thats what I'm worried about but other than that it looks good
    Does this apply to all 939 chips? Well, with higher preamble you don't exactly lose much performance - I'm sure increased CPU mhz, if attainable, would easily outweigh any negligible performance hit of higher preamble...
    dfi nf4, 3200+ @ 2.98ghz on water (soon TEC), 6800U @ 460/1260. gskill GH @ 2-2-2-5

Page 4 of 209 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast