Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dimes Project

Ker-Pow !

The Dimes Project

I thought that I had better create a little thread on what dimes is and its requirements.

It doesn't require any CPU power, so it works well running with D2OL or FAH or any other project. It requires Java, but since D2OL also requires it, everyone probably already has it installed.

The goal is to map the internet. The client sends out traceroutes to various IPs and maps them. I'd like to warn people who have bandwidth usage limits, even though this project doesn't use a lot of bandwidth, it might not be for you, but I still encourage you to at least try it. The client itself seems pretty stable and the project admins are really into it and seem to communicate well. Sometimes the client may respond a little slowly, but I think that is just the nature of java.

The installation of the client is nice and easy, just choose a username and password, choose to join Xtremesystems in the team list (interesting to find as its not alphabetical....) and hey presto watch your points and the teams climb.

The only thing to be aware of is that if you have download/upload limits on your connection this will take some of your traffic. I think its about 20-35mb a day from what I remember seeing, Im uncapped so it doesnt really affect me.

The official site is here:
    http://www.netdimes.org

Free-DC of course has stats here:
    http://stats.free-dc.org/new/projpage.php?proj=dimes

The client is limited to one per machine irrelevant of CPUs, but it does run great on low end systems (PII etc) as all you really need is an internet connection that is always on and a connection to that (if more than one rig).

The client can be tweaked to work 4 times a minute (or less) and also the amount of bandwidth used, the less you use the less you score.

Points are uploaded every hour so its a nice project to watch your stats rocket up.

When I first started running this project I was worried that my internet connection would lag, but after running for a couple of weeks no one at home has complained ( 5 of us using it) my usenet access is exactly the same and my gaming ping hasnt changed.

Currently the XS team is about to enter the top 20 overall, we are 6th highest producer overall and me and helhiem are starting to spend alot of time in the top 10 producers also...!

Any questions give me a shout and I will do my best to answer them.

Edit:

Here is the link to create Dimes sigs:

http://sigs.canyonlake.net/dimes/dimessetup.php

Edit:
    VMware Guide

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...37#post1050037

Edit:

Control Panel Link----Use This to upgrade your clients to newer versions----Great for people running VMs

https://www.netdimes.org/DIMESControlCenter/login.html
    Last edited by [XC]thewildblue; 01-04-2006 at 05:07 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    whats the goal of this project?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    whats the goal of this project?
    the goal is to map the internet... read closer
    E2160 @ 360x9, max 390x9 watercooled
    GA-P35-DS3
    Cellshock D9GMH @ 545mhz cl5-5-5-5-15
    Palit 7300gt 500/1000 @ 780/1600 watercooled

Xtreme X.I.P.
    yeah but for what purpose?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    yeah but for what purpose?
    i think, they want to see how different servers/ips are connected. maybe they also want to see if you can make the inet faster if you know "shorter" routes.
    E2160 @ 360x9, max 390x9 watercooled
    GA-P35-DS3
    Cellshock D9GMH @ 545mhz cl5-5-5-5-15
    Palit 7300gt 500/1000 @ 780/1600 watercooled

Ker-Pow !
    The Dimes project also has its own forum located here:

http://www.netdimes.org/phpBB2/

Ker-Pow !
    Opps wrong thread....
    Last edited by [XC]thewildblue; 09-08-2005 at 12:58 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    so what esactly does the client do?
    it connects to different servers and then the tool is checking hwat routes were used and how fast the response was etc?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    bump ^^^^^^^^^^

Ker-Pow !
    Hope this helps:

How does the Internet look like? How does it evolve?

DIMES is a distributed scientific research project, aimed to study the structure and topology of the Internet, with the help of a volunteer community (similar in spirit to projects such as SETI@Home).

Due to the way the Internet is engineered, distributing the Internet mapping effort is very important, and the only efficient way to measure the Internet structure is by asking you to participate. What we ask is not so much your CPU or bandwidth (which we hardly consume), but rather, your location. The more places we'll have presence in, the more accurate our maps will be. Understanding the structure and function of the Internet is an important research task, that will allow to make the Internet a better place for all of us.

The DIMES agent performs Internet measurements such as TRACEROUTE and PING at a low rate, consuming at peak 1KB/S. The agent DOES NOT send any information about its host's activity/personal data, and sends ONLY the results of its own measurements. Aside from giving a good feeling, running the DIMES agent will also provide you with maps of how the Internet looks from your home (currently) and will (in the future) provide you with a personalized 'Internet weather report' and other user-focused features.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by thewildblue
    What we ask is not so much your CPU or bandwidth (which we hardly consume), but rather, your location. .
    who is the WE and
    how do they compile the results?

Ker-Pow !
    Ive pulled all this from www.netdimes.org

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I moved the DIMES sigs to the D2OL server which still seems to be working. I am not going to make any guarantees though.

Let me know if you run into any problems.

Ker-Pow !
    Thanks Jeff we appreciate it.

Xtreme Member
    will join as soon as i get adsl
    Rig 1 Asus ROG Strix B550-F WiFi, R7 5800x, 64GB Vengeance LPX 4*16GB, Zotac GTX 1070Ti, X-Fi Titanium, Enermax Revolution D.F. 850w, SSDs 768GB, HDD 3TB, CM 912HAF, NH D-15 Black.cr
    Rig 2 Asus Maximus VI Hero, i7 4770K@4000, 32GB Ballistix VLP 4*8GB, Gigabyte GTX 970, eVGA G3 850, SSD 512GB, HDD 2TB, TT Element-T, NH D-14.

Xtreme Member
    I'm game.. have plenty of broadband available so...
    Last edited by demonR6; 10-10-2005 at 01:55 PM.
    ASUS A832N Sli Deluxe | A64 FX-60 w/ Swiftech Apogee wb| 4@1024 G.Skill Extreme | 2@Nvidia 8800 GTS 640mb | PPC 700w | (2) WD Raptor 74GB SATA | XP 64

my heatware

^^Not dead!!^^
    I'll load it up on everything and scale back or up as nesseccery...

Ker-Pow !
    Cheers Rod ! Looking forward to seeing you on the stats.

^^Not dead!!^^
    Are the servers down????? This is confusing...

We need a getting started/FAQ/tweaking sticky... badly.

Xtreme Addict
    come on rodzilla It's a new members battle

^^Not dead!!^^
    Looks like a neat project... but I keep getting a REALLY anoying NIS firewall warning every 10 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!! Drove me crazy.

Xtreme Cruncher
    umm time to disable NIS

^^Not dead!!^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Slinky
    umm time to disable NIS
    That's not an option...

Rod, just put one blank rig in your DMZ where you don't care what happens. I am doing this by leaving a lappy hooked up at the house in toronto until the new owners take posession early next month...It has only a bare bottom xp sp2 build and enough java to run dimes
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    aww an OC virgin! lose it tonight with Xtremesystems!!!

^^Not dead!!^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey
    Rod, just put one blank rig in your DMZ where you don't care what happens. I am doing this by leaving a lappy hooked up at the house in toronto until the new owners take posession early next month...It has only a bare bottom xp sp2 build and enough java to run dimes
    It's not my hardware firewall... it's norton internet security. I run it on all of my rigs.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast