Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First review of Opteron s939

Quote Originally Posted by Mats
    Petr: How did you get that CPU for the review?
    They are available for sale in our country - here .

Xtreme Legend
    I think the 2MB cache ones are Dual Core counterparts
    2x1MB Cache ..............I want one of those Opteron 165 CPUs
    Quote Originally Posted by drcrawn

WOW, there are s939 opterons there with 2mb L2 cache!
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Hum 175 with 2MB and Dual Die, will be great

I want 175.
    Last edited by wonderwall; 09-06-2005 at 08:56 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderwall
    Hum 175 with 2MB and Dual Die, will be great

I want 175.
    Group buy!
    DFI UT NF4 Ultra-D R.AB0 | Bios: 0406BTA | Coolermaster Hyper6+ | 2x1GB G.Skill F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ | Samsung SH-S203B | VTB Master | SAN-55 Dual 12v | Dell S2409W

CPU1: AMD64 3000+ LBBLE 0517APAW 295x9 1.40v / 300x9 1.45v / 317x9 1.45v+110%
    CPU2: Opteron 170 CBBWE 0550UPMW 265x10 1.40v
    Mem: 285Mhz 3-4-4-7 1T 2.6v

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey
    They are made and shipping in Sun servers AFAIK, IBM will be shipping soon as well. The x75 series are shipping like nuts and with good reason.... they take the performance of the socket 940 to xtreme levels.... though I do have to add that at the 8way status the PPC servers are still kicking butt.... I think that will be remedied as companies like Serverworks and Nvidia make more serious chipsets for these Opty's as the potential is definitely there..
    The 2mb L2s are dual core, yes.

Ugly and Grey, AMD does not have .09 100 series Opterons for s940 listed on thier site. I don't think they exist. The older .13 100 series s940 Opterons have been around for quite some time now, but AMD isn't moving them to .09 process with sse3 support. There isn't a market really. BTW, why would Sun sell single cpu servers on s940?

Also, there are no dual core 100 series s940 opterons at all.

I would love to buy a 154 instead of a 254, but they don't exist for s940! even though AMD said they would make them. The demand for single cpu servers (s940) is virtually nonexistent.
    6800U 31.7K '01*15.8K '03*7.2K '05

...building a dual 254 rig on the MSI K8N Master2-FAR SLI

Xtreme Enthusiast

Talking

Hey, Petr, nice pix, man! =) Well, here is some info on your CPU:

Xtreme Addict
    Last edited by clayton; 03-10-2011 at 06:08 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    or the fact that they have 3 hypertransport links...
    That is not true. The 100 series cannot be used in a dual system. The 200 series is for dual use only but can be used in a single system and the 800 series is good for 4way and 8way systems and are also backwards compatable.

One thing that I assume would help w/ oc'ing is that iirc Opterons have better memory controllers then A64.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by drcrawn
    WOW, there are s939 opterons there with 2mb L2 cache!
    I think those are dual core, so 2x 1mb...
    =
    Microsoft's homepage can be found at: thesource-dot-ofallevil-dot-com - interesting, no?

Think of something witty and imagine it here.

Xtreme Addict
    No question about it. Opteron 175, 170, and 165 are the only dual core models for the 100 series. http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...26_609,00.html

Too bad you can't use non-ecc on 939 Opterons.
    ________
    Starcraft 2 Replay
    Last edited by clayton; 03-10-2011 at 06:08 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Twitchy
    That is not true. The 100 series cannot be used in a dual system. The 200 series is for dual use only but can be used in a single system and the 800 series is good for 4way and 8way systems and are also backwards compatable.

One thing that I assume would help w/ oc'ing is that iirc Opterons have better memory controllers then A64.
    They don't even have better memory controllers then the A64 because these are A64s. AMD just changes the label on the box so corporate types will be willing to use them in severs. Its still the same chip though.

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by saratoga
    They don't even have better memory controllers then the A64 because these are A64s. AMD just changes the label on the box so corporate types will be willing to use them in severs. Its still the same chip though.
    Sorry, you're wrong. The Opterons have the "ultimate" memory controllers among AMD cpu's - optimized through HW for performance and stability. The FX- series of processors are based on the Opteron's full 128-bit architecture while the A64's use only a true 64-bit memory controller. These s939 Opterons are AMD entry into the worstation/server market as the s940 Opterons weren't too popular . These cpu's will definately outperform any A64 @ similar speeds. I've been told that we may even see the eventual phasing out of the FX-line of processors in favor of these s939 Opterons (at least until DDR2 arrives). AFAIK, one thing which won't happen, is the production of any s939 multi-cpu Opties

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    So then these s939 Opterons should not use 2T timing ever? That's a good selling point, I see them lining up with 4 sticks of their bh-5 now...

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/26094.PDF

p.109

Wonder which current s939 boards will be compatible or if that will be an issue.
    So basically AMD is moving single cpu servers to s939 to allow for cheap unbuffered ddr...and abadoning the single cpu s940 user to some extent.

Tyan has a s939 Opty board for sale now.

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/opteron.html

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clayton
    No question about it. Opteron 175, 170, and 165 are the only dual core models for the 100 series. http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...26_609,00.html

Too bad you can't use non-ecc on 939 Opterons.
    You can use unbuffered RAM on Opteron 939s no problem.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by s7e9h3n
    Sorry, you're wrong. The Opterons have the "ultimate" memory controllers among AMD cpu's - optimized through HW for performance and stability.
    First, this isn't an opteron, its a San Diego. Regardless, the memory controller is functionally identical between the 64/FX and Opteron lines aside from some minor electrical differences to accomidate registered RAM and all that entails.

The FX- series of processors are based on the Opteron's full 128-bit architecture while the A64's use only a true 64-bit memory controller.
    Completely wrong. All S939 and S940 based CPUs have 128 bit memory controllers (ignoreing parity lines anyway). Only S754 currently has a 64 bit CPU. If you don't believe me, look at the pin outs.

These s939 Opterons are AMD entry into the worstation/server market as the s940 Opterons weren't too popular . These cpu's will definately outperform any A64 @ similar speeds.
    No they won't because these San Diegos are transistor for transistor identical to the San Diegos in A64s.

Anyway, jeez man, do some reading. AMD publishes all this in their tech sheets.

Xtreme Guru
    ^I agree. Opteron's "superiority" in memory handling is totally based on using DRAM with x4 configuration -> number of x4 DRAM ICs used in registered dimms stresses mc as much as half the amount of x8 ICs.
    You were not supposed to see this.

Opterons for s939 use unbuffered non-ECC or unbuffered w/ ECC. They can not use registered DIMMs. The memory controller is exactly the same as on A64, therefore with four double sided DIMMs, you have to swith to 2T timing. The performance is identical to A64 with 1 MB L2 cache on the same frequency.

Xtreme Guru
    'Was talking about S940 Opterons.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Detective
    You can use unbuffered RAM on Opteron 939s no problem.
    Actually it requires unbuffered RAM.

ECC is a different matter and I bet 45 cokkies it can do both ECC and non-ECC.

Of course the mainboard BIOS has to cooperate to enable ECC and those are hard to find on socket 939 (mostly Asus boards that support ECC on 939).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So where the f*&k are we with these things? I'm tired and going to bed.Can someone give a technical 'synopsis'?

Xtreme Mentor
    I am sure that a 939 Opteron is only different from an Athlon 64 939 by its QA before leaving the factory.

At this time I don't even see any evidence that the additional hypertransport links are connected to anything. Or exist for that matter.

The moment registered memory goes away so goes the advantage of serving large amounts of RAM fast. That's the whole point about registered memory.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petr
    Opterons for s939 use unbuffered non-ECC or unbuffered w/ ECC. They can not use registered DIMMs. The memory controller is exactly the same as on A64, therefore with four double sided DIMMs, you have to swith to 2T timing. The performance is identical to A64 with 1 MB L2 cache on the same frequency.
    No real advatage to buying a s939 Opteron then, IMO. Like I said, this is nothing more than AMD switching single cpu servers to cheaper unbuffered ram.

Registered memory is tremendously expensive still...

Xtreme Guru
    drcrawn,
    San Diego core for the same price of a 3000+ is no real advantage?!
    These are FX's with lower multi and price!

No cons.
    Just pros.

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by saratoga
    Anyway, jeez man, do some reading. AMD publishes all this in their tech sheets.
    I don't think I was too clear in my statement. You're speaking in terms of purely @ the hardware level while what I meant to address was the diferences in how the memory controllers are hard coded. Trust me, while the information that's available publicly may imply that the memory controllers in the Opterons and A64's are functionally similar, their differences lie far beyond the ability to hand registered dimms........

I don't think I was too clear in my statement. You're speaking in terms of purely @ the hardware level while what I meant to address was the diferences in how the memory controllers are hard coded. Trust me, while the information that's available publicly may imply that the memory controllers in the Opterons and A64's are functionally similar, their differences lie far beyond the ability to hand registered dimms........
    You are asking for an unsual amount of trust considering AMD is not known for publishing false claims about their processors capabilities...you have any data?
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    aww an OC virgin! lose it tonight with Xtremesystems!!!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast