Thread: DD vs EK Barbs

Xtreme Addict

DD vs EK Barbs

Based on all the EK barb endorsements I've seen around here, I ordered 6 for my water blocks (Apogee, MCW60, MCW30). I'm a bit confused now why everyone is endorsing these barbs.

Pics attached.

Here's some facts:

1. Flange size: The nut flange on the EK barbs is bigger(18mm wrench size) and the rubber o-ring is counter-sunk into a groove on the underside of the flange. This is only a problem when trying to thread the fitting into a Swiftech block... At least on the MCW30 and MCW60 I have, the flange will make contact with the rim of the block opening before the rubber o-ring makes contact with the seat. Are people actually using EK barbs in Swiftech blocks and getting water tight seals?

With the DD barbs, the flange is smaller (16mm wrench size), and will not make contact with the rim of the block as the fitting is threaded in. The o-ring is not counter-sunk into the flange, allowing the o-ring to make good contact with the seat on the block.

2. Thread length: There are four threads on the EK vs. 3 on the DD. The actual length of the threaded area below the flange is identical, the difference being that EK threaded one additional turn vs. DD. While this was touted as an advantage with the EK in other posts, the problem from #1 means the EK barb cannot engage any more thread than the DD on a Swiftech block since the EK flange will hit the block rim before all the threads can be engaged. The added thread on the EK can only be helpful when not using a Swiftech block where the mating surface does not have a rim.

3. Thread cut: Some people touted the EK barbs as having a rounded thread vs the sharp threads on the DD barbs. This is totally false. The two barbs have equally sharp threads. There is zero difference between the thread cut on these two barbs.

4. O-ring: As mentioned, the EK barbs use an o-ring that is slightly counter-sunk into the flange. The EK o-ring is larger... in fact, it is the same size as the o-rings included with the Swiftech plastic barbs. DD uses a smaller o-ring that is not counter-sunk. I don't think either design is better than the other except that the DD o-rings can be used with other G1/4 fittings and are therefore more universal - if you need to steal an o-ring for some kind of G1/4 adapter for example.

5. ID: The DD barb has a minutely larger ID than the EK barb. Not enough to be a consideration, I'm sure, but if you are looking for the least turbulence at the inlet to the block, DD is your choice because the lip at the end of the barb is thinner.

So given all this, and especially problem #1, I'm not sure why people recommend these barbs... especially for Swiftech blocks where a water tight seal would seem very unreliable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ddvek1.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	52635   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ddvek2.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	52636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ddvek3.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	52637  

Git-R-Done
    Well for one, the whole "counter-sunk o-ring" problem you seem to have doesn't exist...(Well, it's there), there's no problem with the seal, they work perfectly fine. Also, EK barbs I find are easier to slide on (tubing), and harder to take it off, plus, they look a lot nicer...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Shpoon
    Well for one, the whole "counter-sunk o-ring" problem you seem to have doesn't exist...(Well, it's there), there's no problem with the seal, they work perfectly fine. Also, EK barbs I find are easier to slide on (tubing), and harder to take it off, plus, they look a lot nicer...
    It seemed to me when threading the EK barbs into the Swiftech block, the flange was making contact with the rim BEFORE I was getting any resistence from compression of the o-ring. I guess what must be happening is that the o-ring must be making some contact with the seat anyway... It just doesn't seem like much to me.

At any rate, even if the seal is ok with the EK barbs, there are no "real" advantages to the EK barbs vs DD... it's all opinion and preference.
    Last edited by virtualrain; 11-06-2006 at 02:24 PM.

Git-R-Done
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain
    It seemed to me when threading the EK barbs into the Swiftech block, the flange was making contact with the rim BEFORE I was getting any resistence from compression of the o-ring. I guess what must be happening is that the o-ring must be making some contact with the seat anyway... It just doesn't seem like much to me.
    Well, I can't comment on the Storm, but I know on the AquaExtrem MP-05, I was able to see the O-ring compress on the block before the barb touched the delrin top....I wonder if this could be a compatibility problem then?

Xtreme Addict
    Virtualrain is right. That's why the mcw60 needs to be modded for use with ek barbs. Just sand/mod the lip of the top a little and that won't be a problem anymore.

Also, you're wrong on the ID part. EK and DD barbs both have 10mm ID. The EK barbs have a 0.75mm larger OD.
    Heatware: 50-0-0
    Quote Originally Posted by Charile
    I believe that GWB, who may NOT be the best overclocking CPU in the tray...
    Quote Originally Posted by -thc-(cZ) View Post
    oh c'mon, maxxx, kick that cat of that monitor and have it poop for you

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Shpoon
    Well, I can't comment on the Storm, but I know on the AquaExtrem MP-05, I was able to see the O-ring compress on the block before the barb touched the delrin top....I wonder if this could be a compatibility problem then?
    The problems I mentioned above are only applicable to Swiftech blocks which have a rim/seat for the o-ring.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderstruck!
    Virtualrain is right. That's why the mcw60 needs to be modded for use with ek barbs. Just sand/mod the lip of the top a little and that won't be a problem anymore.
    Why bother... just use DD barbs!

Xtreme Addict
    Have you managed to remove the o-ring from a EK barb?
    Heatware: 50-0-0
    Quote Originally Posted by Charile
    I believe that GWB, who may NOT be the best overclocking CPU in the tray...
    Quote Originally Posted by -thc-(cZ) View Post
    oh c'mon, maxxx, kick that cat of that monitor and have it poop for you

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain
    1. Flange size: The nut flange on the EK barbs is bigger(18mm wrench size) and the rubber o-ring is counter-sunk into a groove on the underside of the flange. This is only a problem when trying to thread the fitting into a Swiftech block...
    The countersunk o-ring groove is actually the biggest advantage of the EK barb as it keeps the o-ring from 'creeping out" from under the flange when tightened.
    On a normal flat surface this means that the barb can be tightened just a little bit more than the DD version without the o-ring deforming and losing it's seal.

That said, I ran into the same phenomonon as you with my Swiftech blocks- the flange bottomed out before the o-ring made substantial contact with the countersunk barb hole.
    I have read of folks using two o-rings to fill the gap but that seemed like a Rube Goldberg approach so I removed the o-ring altogether and used Plumber's GOOP as a sealant on the threads instead.
    It's worked fine and I've come to appreciate the added security it provides to the extent that I'll probably GOOP all my remaining barbs at the next loop reinstall and dispense with the o-rings on everything.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    can you use the DD o-ring on the EK barb?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by _G_
    can you use the DD o-ring on the EK barb?
    Yes, but it doesn't solve the problem that VR has encountered.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thought the dd barb used a fatter o-ring going by the 3rd pic?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderstruck!
    Have you managed to remove the o-ring from a EK barb?
    No problem with a mini flat head screwdriver.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by clokker
    Yes, but it doesn't solve the problem that VR has encountered.
    Exactly. The bottom line is if you are using Swiftech blocks, just use DD barbs!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by _G_
    thought the dd barb used a fatter o-ring going by the 3rd pic?
    No, they are functionally identical...the EK ring looks thinner because it is partially sunk into the groove in the flange's bottom.

Xtreme Addict
    On the MCW 60 the DD barb is the easiest way to go

on the storm rev2 use both the O-ring from palstic barb with the EK barb and it seals with no issues from reports in other threads...

the newer EK barb(those being made now) do in fact have a thicker O ring....
    My Heat
    i5 2500k @4.5ghz Raystorm
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 16gb(4x4) G.Skill PC12800 Ripjaws X
    x1900xt MCW60
    Rad: Thermochill PA120.3 3YL SL/ Pump: DDC2 w/ Petra's top 7/16in ID masterkleer
    Corsair 120gb Force GT SSD/ 1TB WD Black Caviar SATA
    X-Fi music/SH-203B/H62L/LH-20A1L
    Corsair HX620w /Acer AL2223W/modded TJ07

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Agree with virtualrain. I've tested the DD barbs on my Swiftech blocks, including the Storm and MCW60s, and had no problem screwing them in and getting a great seal. From all the talk around here I was expecting it to be a struggle, but it wasn't at all. Went on easy.

Xtreme Addict
    Oh BTW, I have been told..if there is an O-ring..only hand tighten and then 1/4 extra turn...this will create a seal and probably avoid the Oring being squeezed out from over tightening and compression
    My Heat
    i5 2500k @4.5ghz Raystorm
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 16gb(4x4) G.Skill PC12800 Ripjaws X
    x1900xt MCW60
    Rad: Thermochill PA120.3 3YL SL/ Pump: DDC2 w/ Petra's top 7/16in ID masterkleer
    Corsair 120gb Force GT SSD/ 1TB WD Black Caviar SATA
    X-Fi music/SH-203B/H62L/LH-20A1L
    Corsair HX620w /Acer AL2223W/modded TJ07

Xtreme Member
    so the DD Hi-Flo barbs DO fit into the storm without complication? (thread size, o-ring)

Xtreme Member
    Im using ek barbs with my MCW60, MCW30 chipset, and my MCRES micro.

Currently the mcw60 is in its own loop leaktesting, so far so good, no problems at all.

This is without any mods done to the block..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman!
    Im using ek barbs with my MCW60, MCW30 chipset, and my MCRES micro.

Currently the mcw60 is in its own loop leaktesting, so far so good, no problems at all.

This is without any mods done to the block..
    would love to see pics.

as for my opinions/reasoning to promote EK barbs.
    1. when i ordered 6 barbs from EK, total cost + shipping was cheaper than 6 barbs from DD.
    2. o-ring sticks better to the EK barbs
    3. look better to me
    4. tubing would be easier to get on and secure with the ribs along the shaft.
    5. i was under the impression the "sharper" edge on the EK barbs was at teh LIP (the edge the tubing connects at) and at the time i bought them the only g1/4 barbs from DD were the perfect seal, which has a THICK lip. i still think the EK barbs have a sharper lip. you can check it and see.
    6. was bought to use on g1/4 threaded items with the *bonus* that it would work on my storm block, which isnt natively g1/4 threaded.

i dont think anyone ever said it was the defacto barb to put on mcw30's and 60's, but what we WOULD have been chanting is that its the defacto barb for anything g1/4.

thats my reasons for touting ek barbs anytime i can.
    Apple Macbook Pro º 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo º GeForce 8600M GT 256MB º 2GB 667MHz DDR2 º 15" TFT LED backlit display // Dell 2407WFPHC // Xbox360 // Ek + Swiftech blocks in storage

r3vo+PC Fall_06 Build
    Spring Customer Build

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Senater_Cache
    so the DD Hi-Flo barbs DO fit into the storm without complication? (thread size, o-ring)
    Fit just fine on mine. The O-ring appeared to be sealing perfectly and it wasn't hard to thread at all. Smooth as butter.