Thread: This wiring correct? Rotary and fan

This wiring correct? Rotary and fan

Pretty sure this is correct. Can somebody verify? Is it possible to blow up a cap using AC?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring.GIF 
Views:	118 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	36281  

Must be right. It works fine

Admin
    Looks good to me
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

So I did some experimenting and found out that the compressor will run with the neutral and the hot swapped (neutral thru cap, hot to C) I was wondering if this will cause the cap to explode if I let it run like that?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Since AC current flows both ways, it has no overall polarity. From the cap's perspective, both terminals are identical (since current flows both in and out of each).

Thats what I figured, but I wasnt quite sure. Thanks

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by saratoga
    Since AC current flows both ways, it has no overall polarity. From the cap's perspective, both terminals are identical (since current flows both in and out of each).

ac current alternates,it doesant flow both ways, it does have polarity, it always flows to ground.

So it is possible to splode a cap with ac then? Besides overloading it?

I am Xtreme
    wet caps can overheat short out and boil out the oil, this sometimes causes the housing to bulge, but they normaly don't explode.

Well thats a plus. I have popped a couple caps in electronics classes by having them reversed, but that was always with DC. I dont have any experience with caps and AC.

Thanks

Xtreme Addict
    Wet caps?

Forgive me ignorance, but what does this mean? or is it completely literal?

Filled with liquid electrolyte.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by wdrzal
    ac current alternates,it doesant flow both ways, it does have polarity, it always flows to ground.
    If you really want to be pedantic, thats not correct. Only positive voltages cause current to flow to ground. Negative voltage will pull current out of ground. Since an AC current alternates between positive and negative, it will "flow" both ways, alternating between them 120 times per second (for a 60Hz country). So it only flows to ground for less then half the time each second.

Also, while you're correct that it does have an instantaneous polarity, what I meant by "overall polarity" was the average polarity.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by stockhatch
    Well thats a plus. I have popped a couple caps in electronics classes by having them reversed, but that was always with DC. I dont have any experience with caps and AC.

Thanks
    Electrolytic caps can explode because they're polarized. The actual capacitance is in the form of a chemical film. If you put enough a DC voltage the wrong way the film dissolves, they become a short circuit and overheat. Because of their polarization, they're generally not used for AC power (though they are used with AC in many signals applications where a DC bias is present or where there is low enough current that they won't be damaged).

Wet caps?

Forgive me ignorance, but what does this mean? or is it completely literal?
    Acid or other solvent that keeps the metal film in solution. They're what you see on virtually all electronics because tehy're cheap and VERY small for the capacitance you get.

So for the thick of skull(me), final answer is: You can cause a cap to explode using 110 volts AC by hooking the neutral up through the capacitor.......................OR NOT?!?!?!

I am Xtreme
    there is no negative in ac electricity.only line, neutral ,and ground, neurtral and ground are the same. All power in the usa is generated in 3 phase, for residental use only 1 phase is used,this is transformed down and split into L1 and L2. each one of these 2 supply 120 volt to ground,but 240 when across each other.

go to www.howstuffworks.com and search "how power grids work" that will help you understand how power flows. IIRC there are about 10 pages, read it all

ps saratoga: electriciy and electronics are 2 complely different feilds.

there is no negative in ac electricity.only line, neutral ,and ground, neurtral and ground are the same. All power in the usa is generated in 3 phase, for residental use only 1 phase is used,this is transformed down and split into L1 and L2. each one of these 2 supply 120 volt to ground,but 240 when across each other.
    This I know. I am an electircian by trade after all. We dont use capacitors when we wire houses though, so I am not familiar with how they operate in an AC application. Apparently, it makes no difference whether you wire the neutral(ground :P) through the cap, or the hot. Thats the point I'm trying to clarify.

Thanks

I am Xtreme
    I went and looked at your original post and its wrong, L1 goes to R and herm on the capacitor. I post this universal diagram again, I already posted it severial times, By using all or part of it, you can wire any 120/240 volt compressor in any capacitor configeration.
    Last edited by wdrzal; 05-20-2006 at 02:14 PM.

I used that diagram to wire my stuff up! So you're saying that hot goes to herm? Then what goes to the S on the compressor? From C on the cap? That doesnt make much sense to me...

I am Xtreme
    thats right, it wired like that so if the capacitor shorts to ground, it trips the breaker or fuse on L1,other wise current could continue to flow thru the windings causeing them to heat and burn out.

L1 is black (hot)which is fused, on that diagram L2(120 volt) would be white (netural) not fused, it shows a fuse on L2 for wiring 240v compressors. Also notice the protector(thermal overload) breaks L2 netural, white wire.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    there is no negative in ac electricity.
    No negitive line I think you mean. Theres definately negative voltage and current though, as a quick look at a sin wave will show you!

only line, neutral ,and ground, neurtral and ground are the same. All power in the usa is generated in 3 phase, for residental use only 1 phase is used,this is transformed down and split into L1 and L2. each one of these 2 supply 120 volt to ground,but 240 when across each other.

go to www.howstuffworks.com and search "how power grids work" that will help you understand how power flows. IIRC there are about 10 pages, read it all
    No thanks. That site is a little oversimplified for my tastes. Trying to explain multiphase AC power without calculus is not very productive IMO. The only way to really understand why the delta and wie 3 phase circuits work is to do the calculus yourself and see whats happening in each phase.

ps saratoga: electriciy and electronics are 2 complely different feilds.
    Only if you don't understand them. Otherwise they're just different applications of the same topic. Thats why there are no power engineering programs anymore. EE cans do it all.

So it this right then?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring.GIF 
Views:	53 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	36347