Thread: My psu fans quit, fan only molex is dead too.

Exclamation My psu fans quit, fan only molex is dead too.

Does anyone have any ideas to what would cause this? The psu works fine. My box started alarming on me. I started looking and found some of my fans weren't running.

Does anyone know where the guide is to hard wire 12v on the fan only molex? I think it is probally the thermal sense that is busted. When I power up my box the fans twitch for a second and thats it.

If worse comes to worse,I will just hard wire it to 7v.

Xtreme Mentor
    It seems there is a short somewhere. That's what happened when I rebuilt someones attempted home build, they installed a mobo with no standoffs and the fans would just twitch, but nothing else.
    For those of you about to post:

I don't see how a short would be created. I did the volt mods on all of the rails back 6 months or so ago. It had been running fine. Until today. My computer runs fine. Except the psu starts heating up because the fans aren't running.

EDIT: It probally would of been a good idea to mention that it's a Antec TP 480.
    Last edited by Aviator747; 08-20-2005 at 04:28 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    That's very odd, I think a connector have just come loose. I thought you were implying that the computer wasn't working at all. Open it up and check what's going on.
    For those of you about to post:

Nope, the connector for the fans is fine on the inside. I didn't see anything odd looking either. I wired the psu fans to straight 12v. And I wired the "Fan only" molex's to 7v ,black to 5v and yellow to 12v.

But, it seems that the psu doesn't like my 7v solution. The system tries to fire up and then stops.

Aint No Real Gangster
    this happened to me with my antec. im almost 100% sure its from running to high of amp fans or to many. my fan control is dead now, as well as the fan only connectors. i was unable to find a fix, so i opened up my psu and hardwired the psu fans directly to 12v. and removed the fan only connectors. i only noticed the fans had stopped when i started smelling burning pcb. luckily the psu still runs great and holds a decent voltage.
    Specs
    Asus 780i Striker II Formula
    Intel E8400 Wolfdale @ 4050Mhz
    2x2GB OCZ Platinum @ 1200Mhz 5-4-3-18
    MSI 5850 1000Mhz/5000Mhz
    Wester Digital Black 2TB
    Antec Quatro 850W

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCP-600
    HardwareLabes Black Ice Extreme 2

Audio Setup
    X-fi w/AD8066, Clock mod, & polymer caps > PPAV2 > Grado SR60 & Grado SR325i & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro & Beyerdynamic DT990 & AKG K701 & Denon D2000