Thread: *Guide* How to Insulate your Graphic Card!

Xtreme Addict

*Guide* How to Insulate your Graphic Card!

Hello, this is a guide i am writing on how to insulate a GFX card for a waterchiller, since there are rarely any around and most are for PhaseChange. Going extreme on a 7800GTX :p

First take off heatsing and fan.

Now cleaned off old thermal paste and applyed a good 2 layers of nail polish about 1 to 2 inches around the GPU area.

Now i started to build around the GPU area with cork tape.

Adding as5 to the ram/gpu, i reheated the ramsinks to get them sticky again and stuck them onto the ram.

Now i put di-electric grease AROUND the gpu core, make sure you don't get any mixed with the as5.

Now i smeared di-electric grease on the pad supplied with the waterblock.

Now i built up cork tape around the plastic piece.

**Will continue this guide, once i get my order of foam tape in** (sorry for crappy picture, webcam)

Xtreme Mentor
    You can't use low quality pictures like that for a guide. It's much more a build. (Which isn't a bad thing, new content is always good)
    For those of you about to post:

Please continue - I've just installed mine and I need to get the block itself insulated (sick of wiping away the water every 2 minutes )

I've got the DD 4-in-1, with neoprene protecting the card/pelt - just need to secure the actual block now - any hints?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by craig588
    You can't use low quality pictures like that for a guide. It's much more a build. (Which isn't a bad thing, new content is always good)
    Yah sorry, can't undo the work but the webcam did show the main point of things.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Hey! I can just about see what you`re doing, but I gotta agree with Craig..pic quality aint great. I`m almost about to similar for a waterchiller-esque project i`m working on, so this is pretty useful

Couple quick questions though: Whats cork tape? I was planning on using cut neoprene in layers around my core. How do they compare?

Also: are you gonna insulate the back of the card? Even though the back of my card (not a 7800, unfortunately) gets pretty hot, even at stock, I`m hoping my temps will get to the point where condensation might be an issue building up on top of the card.

Thanks a lot

Kenny

Xtreme Addict
    Updated! I got my foam tape in today, yet it isn't as sticky as the previous i had was, a little crazy glue helped. Going to have to cut the ramsink below right GPU block barb about 2 mm to get the armaflex to fit, other than that once my tygon gets here i'll have it 100% insulated. What you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010018 (Large).JPG 
Views:	263 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	36110   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010019 (Large).JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	36111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010020 (Large).JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	36112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010021 (Large).JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	36113   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010022 (Large).JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	36114  

Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    Well CPUs are like women they all like things specific ways for them.. Some love 8x and others Love 9x or 7x.. they all just have their G-Spot and you have to learn to use it..
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    He should have given up his nuts too. Since clearly anyone that wants any Apple product that bad, Should NOT ever breed.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

Xtreme Legend
    what "CORK TAPE " is?

any link to find it witha description?

thanks
    Sorry for my bad english, I'm from italy

Xtreme Addict
    Can't really find it, but it's basically a closed cell tar like substance.
    Well CPUs are like women they all like things specific ways for them.. Some love 8x and others Love 9x or 7x.. they all just have their G-Spot and you have to learn to use it..
    He should have given up his nuts too. Since clearly anyone that wants any Apple product that bad, Should NOT ever breed.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

-150c Club Member
    Its armaflex/ap that can be found at most homedepot. Its around $6.75 for a 30 foot roll.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Nice guide man but get Yourself a new camera, this one causes eye - cancer........

Previous system:

DFI NF4 ULTRA 0453A3 KOREA CHIPSET / BIOS 510-2FIX / FX-57 0516WPMW@3.62GHZ / 2x256 CORSAIR 3200LLPT BH-5@13x278MHZ 2-2-2-5@3.69VDIMM / MACH II GT@MOD BY BERKUT / ACTIVE COOLING FOR RAM - MOSFETS - GPU RAM / CHIPSET & GPU CORE WATERCOOLED / OCZ POWERSTEAM 600W / BUILT BY ATI X850XT@660/651 - VGPU@1.73-VDD@2.26-VDDQ@2.21 PENCIL MOD / WIN XP 2x80GB SAMSUNG SPINPOINT SP80 SATA - RAID 0 & WIN 2K 40GB SAMSUNG SPINPOINT SP40 IDE BENCH DRIVE / PIC

----------------><------------------

Wanna look under my kilt?
    The back of my card gets pretty hot with its stock cooled. I`m expecting sub-ambient (hopefully sub zero) temperatures whe I get up and running properly... I know I`ll need to insulatethe back of the card with neoprene, but am I likely to need a heating element in there too?
    I dont know how much heat will be present "on" the top of the card when the core is cooler. Any advice? ATM, I think the only way to find out is to experiment, but advice to help me not killl my card in the process would be welcome

Kenny

Xtreme Addict
    Well i can tell you this much, even w/ the insulation... about 10 seconds after power is shut off... the ramsinks turn to ice, but when the pc is on and airflow is around and GFX card is adding heatput the card isn't frosted over.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

I am Xtreme
    Have fun taking the insulation off... The blockwill be a sticky mess. I learned the hard way. Ended up covering it in electrical take after un insulating so it wouldn't stick to my hands.
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Xtreme Addict
    Uninsulating is no big deal... i've done it to my mobo so the GFX card shouldn't be any diffrent.. i didn't get any foam tape on the card itself and the cork tape peals right off... Plus i painted the card w/ nailpolish so the cork tape sticks to that and not the PCB of the card.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Are you going to put anything on the mobo around the pci-express slot? I plan on putting a CHilly1 phase unit on my 7800gtx which will give me load temps around -35C to -40C. Do you think I will need better proofing than what you did?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by madgravity34
    Are you going to put anything on the mobo around the pci-express slot? I plan on putting a CHilly1 phase unit on my 7800gtx which will give me load temps around -35C to -40C. Do you think I will need better proofing than what you did?
    I did add insulation around the PCI-E area, didn't take a picture of it though. I'd say you can use less insulation because the phase change is like a vacuum.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

-100C Club Member
    very nice.
    its like its already the end of the night and all the beer has been drunk.
    i cant see properly, time to go to be (HHEHHE)
    eboy i like the nail polish iead, i want to try that on my own gpu now.

Is this similar to the cork tape you used? http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=6312#

Also why paint the pcb with nailpolish? Will it damage anything? Did you coat the resistors and everything?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by halcy
    Is this similar to the cork tape you used? http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=6312#

Also why paint the pcb with nailpolish? Will it damage anything? Did you coat the resistors and everything?
    Lemme find the link to the cork tape i use.... coating the PCB w/ nail polish will add a layer of protection against water + moisture that might build up... also, it's useful when your taking off the cork tape so you won't get any black residue. And no i didn't cover any resistors.
    Cork Tape
    http://www.azpartsmaster.com/shopazp...&I1.x=0&I1.y=0
    Foam Tape
    http://www.azpartsmaster.com/shopazp...&I1.x=0&I1.y=0
    Last edited by eBoy0; 09-06-2005 at 12:15 PM.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

I am Xtreme
    IS that cork tape sticky on both sides? Like seal string? I've been wanting that stuff forever!

Xtreme Addict
    The CORK tape is sticky, but not gluey... it will stick but won't leave residew when pulled off. The stuff in the 2nd link is FOAM tape which is a closed cell foam material which is sticky on 1 side. It will not come off clean if applyed directly to the PCB of the card.
    Last edited by eBoy0; 09-11-2005 at 07:12 PM.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

I am Xtreme
    So the cork is seal string? I knew the second one was armaflex foam... I can't stand that stuff. Sticky as hell.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by afireinside
    So the cork is seal string? I knew the second one was armaflex foam... I can't stand that stuff. Sticky as hell.
    Don't know what seal string is but it is able to stick.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled