Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OCZ DDR booster 'droop' mod

Or persivore , could you post more clearly pic about the modd. ddr booster?

Xtreme Vmod mod
    Quote Originally Posted by gsan
    Or persivore , could you post more clearly pic about the modd. ddr booster?
    I don't have the a booster any more, so I can't get any pics .
    What do you need help with? I might be able to make some clear pictures for you

Quote Originally Posted by persivore
    I don't have the a booster any more, so I can't get any pics .
    What do you need help with? I might be able to make some clear pictures for you
    I just need some clearer sample pic of modd. ddr booster. here got 1 picture for the modd. booster but it's not so clear.

The mod work great on my nf7-s, no fluctuation during load, but i got 0.05v drop

Xtreme Member
    i can confirm that the persivore's booster mod , works flawless with the MSI K8N
    Neo2

for some strange reason , the zener wasnt "strong" enought (1.3watt) to hold the 5.1volt -why?- and was measuring approx 10.3volt .So , i bypassed the zener and used the 5volt directly from the psu.

Results.. : from 3.13 at idle , it dropped to 3.11!!! in memtest test 5

Xtreme Vmod mod
    Quote Originally Posted by papatsonis
    i can confirm that the persivore's booster mod , works flawless with the MSI K8N
    Neo2

for some strange reason , the zener wasnt "strong" enought (1.3watt) to hold the 5.1volt -why?- and was measuring approx 10.3volt .So , i bypassed the zener and used the 5volt directly from the psu.

Results.. : from 3.13 at idle , it dropped to 3.11!!! in memtest test 5
    I found the reason why there was an initial problem between the booster and the 8KN neo2. It was actually an issue between the booster and running 2 sticks of RAM - After cleaning the contacts, it appears to work fine with 2 sticks of RAM now

Are you sure that you were using a zener diode rated at 5.1v, and not a silicon/germanium diode? That is the only thing that I can think that would explain the problem, other than if the diode wasn't connected properly.

Xtreme Member
    yes it was a zener , and when i tested the modded booster before connecting the opamp , it was ok (in fact it was 4.88volt instead the 5.1 nominal), but when i connected the opamp it was at 10.3volt , dunno ,So i did the "basic" and just put in parallel , 2 more 100nf capacitors to the reference volt , as to reduce the ripple.

yes it was a zener , and when i tested the modded booster before connecting the opamp , it was ok (in fact it was 4.88volt instead the 5.1 nominal), but when i connected the opamp it was at 10.3volt , dunno ,So i did the "basic" and just put in parallel , 2 more 100nf capacitors to the reference volt , as to reduce the ripple.
    could you post some of your mod. bootser picture?

Xtreme Member
    Does anyone know if the gauge of the wire matters too much because I have used tiny wire. All the pics I have seen use thicker wire
    Does anyone know where i can get bananas like this the only ones I can get don't dance and go black after a few weeks

Xtreme Member
    the photo is taken by mobile phone thats why its so low quality
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	booster.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	33802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	booster2.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	33803  

Xtreme Member
    this one is "fresher" eventhough is still yesterday's pictures, i wanted to put the trimmer and a voltage measure point in the 3.5'' bay under the floppy, so made the trimmer's cable detachable.The next addition when i dont feel boring would be adding the LEDs (plus adding the 3rd missing digit) in front of the computer as not to have the multimeter connected all the time to measure the voltage
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	booster3.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	33806  

Xtreme Vmod mod
    I'll check my maths to make sure that I've left enough current flowing through the zener diode to bring it into reverse bias fully.

The size of the cable used isn't important. None of the wiring needs to carry any high current.
    Last edited by persivore; 07-10-2005 at 12:44 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Maybe the resistor was to big?, use 4k7 or something..
    Venice 3500+ M @ 3ghz - Lanparty nf4 2 dimms dead - X800 - 512 Mb BH-5 - 1* WD360GD - 1*SP1213C - 1* Maxtor 6Y120L0

Cpu: Prommy chilled

Xtreme Member
    ok , my mistake... dunno why the zenner could nt stabilize at 4.88, but today , like miracle (i resoldered one leg.. :P) it works flawlessly, add to that that i used 300nf capacitor to the reference voltage, and the booster has...NO drop ,instead i see a tendency to overvolt at max 0.01volt (from 3.10 at idle, it was at 3.10-3.11 at load)

Xtreme Addict
    does any one know the stock # on the mosfets on the the booster to replace them???

Xtreme Member
    some pictures of the mod here (its in Greek but,,, a picture= 1000 words). thnx again to persivore

http://www.thelab.gr/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17291

Xtreme Addict
    just blew my board swaping everything to the rear of booster bye neo 2

some pictures of the mod here (its in Greek but,,, a picture= 1000 words). thnx again to persivore

http://www.thelab.gr/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17291
    good job you did.

thanks to persivore & papatsonis,

i just did the complicated mod and now i got no voltage drop and fluctuation at all.

Xtreme Member
    Congrats

im preparing a "polishing" mod , to add the second decimal digit to the booster's "multimeter" , as to show 3.15 instead of 3.2 , about night (Greece time, ill have finished it)

Xtreme Member
    Nice going

Maybe you can post it here in english as a addition to this tread an then make it sticky or something.. because I'm not capable of making something out of the Greek
    Venice 3500+ M @ 3ghz - Lanparty nf4 2 dimms dead - X800 - 512 Mb BH-5 - 1* WD360GD - 1*SP1213C - 1* Maxtor 6Y120L0

Cpu: Prommy chilled

Xtreme Member
    Adddition (again in Greek) : http://www.thelab.gr/showthread.php?...655#post256655

i'll try tommorow to translate the important part in english

Xtreme Member
    HAS anyone ever removed the heatsink from the Booster's mosfets ??? if anyony, plz post a photo of them

HAS anyone ever removed the heatsink from the Booster's mosfets ??? if anyony, plz post a photo of them
    i did but reinstall back on it. what do you wanna do with that?

Xtreme Member
    just curious what type of mosfets are... thinking to remove them and add in a speperate board(+ adding 4 more -same as them- , as to cool them easier)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast