Thread: How would I got about contructing something like this?

Xtreme Member

How would I got about contructing something like this?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...chmentid=21251

I really don't have an idea about how to construct this. Some in depth instructions would be GREATLY admired.

Thanks in advance.

Xtreme Addict
    Is this a joke? I can't tell anything from that picture. What are you trying to construct? The ram fan?

Xtreme Addict
    be more specific please?

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Yea, thats a really vague picture. We need more info!
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Member
    If I had a guess I would say it was the fan postioned over the ram as that is the only thing that is obvious to me on the picture.
    Does anyone know where i can get bananas like this the only ones I can get don't dance and go black after a few weeks

Most vague post of hte week award goes to onemorekornkid!

Xtreme Gamer
    euhm ....wtf is that

if he does just want a RAM fan ...its more common sense, not a vmod.
    Intel i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz 24/7
    Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
    Asus Radeon HD 6990
    Corsair Dominator GT 6GB
    Corsair AX1200, 600T
    Intel X25-M 160GB
    Dell U3011 30" Monitor

Xtreme Member
    Yikes, sorry guys. I meant the connector that allowed him to plug two power cables into his 6800 gt. This is supposed to regulate power flow but I can't understand how to contruct it.

For more clarity, it's the connector that plugs the two female power connectors into one line (that leads into the 6800 gt).

so its two molex's being funneled into one? dont know how good that is going to work. but to make it, splice the wires together.

Xtreme Addict
    err they sell those...

I can't see that doing a blasted thing unless you are somehow putting together two separate rails off the PSU... and then I'd think it would add instabilty
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    aww an OC virgin! lose it tonight with Xtremesystems!!!

Admin
    It's been known to increase the OC as the GTs have a slight power problem apparently....splicing wires would be how I would make it.

interesting, that means the gauge of wire heading to the card is too small in most cases if that is true. And I have no reason to doubt you whatsoever...
    Last edited by Ugly n Grey; 08-19-2005 at 10:38 AM.
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    aww an OC virgin! lose it tonight with Xtremesystems!!!

Admin
    Yeah, if you think about it, it doesn't make sense....but it works. I think there's a reason the only-slightly-faster-6800U has a second molex connector....

Xtreme Addict
    bus a second molex connector is diffrent then a single one....think in the line of single channel memory and dual channel....which provides better results?....i dont think it would be very helpful to run the memory in paralell either....same with the molex cables

Xtreme Member
    I am very entry level with tools, but can you give me a definition of splicing? I have an idea, but I want to be sure.

Also, I am at a loss as to where to find male connectors that actually run off to something. I have a couple 4-pin male -> fan connector, but other than that I am lost.

Basically, if you guys were going to make this, what would you build it from?

Xtreme Gamer
    you just connect the wires from 1 molex to the other ...i would solder them if i were to make it and then insulate it. but im sure you can just buy em for cheap.

with my PCI-E 6800GT ...it also has a connector with 2 normal molexs going to 1 PCI-E power socket. the 6800GTs really are power hungry ...simple increasing my 12v rail in my OCZ PSU gave me LOTS of extra stability in games.
    Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
    Asus Radeon HD 6990
    Corsair Dominator GT 6GB
    Corsair AX1200, 600T
    Intel X25-M 160GB
    Dell U3011 30" Monitor

Xtreme Member
    wait, you can buy these? where?

EDIT: also, how high should I run the 12 volt rail? I don't want my fans to be spinning much faster than they can. I also have an OCZ powerstream.

Xtreme Gamer
    my 12v rail is at 12.10v under load ...if your rail drops under 12v under load, then crank it up a bit. i set mine so its never lower than 12.10v, im sure its safe to put it a lot higher, but this is for 24/7.
    Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
    Asus Radeon HD 6990
    Corsair Dominator GT 6GB
    Corsair AX1200, 600T
    Intel X25-M 160GB
    Dell U3011 30" Monitor

Xtreme Member
    My 12volt rail doesn't even budge. :p But according to my BIOS reading, it's at 12 flat, though the red light warning is on on the psu.

It's just a "Y" cable is it not? But, it appears to have 2 females and 1 male. which is reverse to the conventional way. I guess our GT's require more amps than they do volts. So this helps quit a bit does it? Anyone have any linkies to other users expirences?

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, I have a Y cable of my own, but I am so confused as to how to reverse everything.

Use 2 standard Y-cables (cost 0.50 each), 10 short lengths of heatshrink tubing (1.5" long), solder, soldering iron, and wire strippers.

Then do this:

Peace
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Join_Y_Cables.png 
Views:	330 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	36014  

Or I suppose if you wanted to get fancy. You could get a molex pin extractor and then reatattch the pin to the end of the wire you cut off and reinsert.

Easy to do without the Molex extractor, use needle nose pliers to push the barbs in on each pin and then pull the pin out. Then mash the two wires to be joined together into one larger than average mess and ram that back into the molex pin. Add a dab of solder to help the join and reinsert the whole lot into the molex plug. It will probably do bugger all, but it cant hurt as long as the two incoming leads for each pin are the same colour :b (It may well be worth electrical taping the monster plug up so that if the bodge job comes apart, the live wires wont fall and touch a component)
    Probably not a good idea that...