Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: The LCD Buyers Guide

Xtreme Addict
    I have a hp f2304 and the native resolution is 1920 x 1200, not just 1920 x 1200 pixels. I always thought resolution on the 2405 was also 1920 x 1200, but it is not. This is why I asked.

Xtreme Member
    Turok- I'll post up some impressions in a week or two when I get my 2405fpw. I'm a little worried about motion blur compared to my 2005fpw (I don't notice any at all on it and that's coming from a previous CRT owner) but most of the owners opinions I've read online say they don't notice any.
    2600k@4.9Ghz 1.42V | Asrock Ext 3 Gen 3 | Custom H20 | 16GB PC3 1600 | 7970@1375/1600

Xtreme Cruncher
    ellfear post some pics too im washing my mom brain to buy me one xD so i need PICS xD and some impression should be nice i had a OLD 15" benq lcd and never notice blur i think there is some ppl that is more sensitive to it :P
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme X.I.P.
    freaking nice guide

Quote Originally Posted by dogsx2
    I have a hp f2304 and the native resolution is 1920 x 1200, not just 1920 x 1200 pixels. I always thought resolution on the 2405 was also 1920 x 1200, but it is not. This is why I asked.
    ?!
    Isnt Native Resolution always = to amount of pixels on a lcd?
    And the 2405 IS 1920*1200 and has probably always been tho the panel in it probably won't change without a name change.

I think in that flyer they missprintet the info.

/Danne
    X3520
    R2E
    Corsair DDR3 1600mhz
    X25-e
    2xCorsair S128
    GTX 295

Viewsonic N2750W is Great!

Just wanted to pop back in and let you know I have had my N2750W for about two days now and loving it. It is bright as all get up. The default is 50 and I find myself squinting because it is so bright. Sharpness is great once I set my computer to the 1280x720 with a 1:1 Aspect Ratio on the N2750W. Setup was simple and quick.

Xtreme Member
    Acer to deliver 24-inch wide screen LCD monitors in October:
    http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Ar...ges=PR&seq=208

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogar
    Acer to deliver 24-inch wide screen LCD monitors in October:
    http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Ar...ges=PR&seq=208
    Looks nice

1 Taiwan dollar = 0.0302281 U.S. dollars

20"
    NT$ 17,800 = US$ 538.06

24"
    NT$ 24,400 = US$ 870.57

If the price is the same in the US, and the specs are as good as they look, it could be the best 20" and 24" LCDs, and one of the cheapest

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMouse
    N2750W
    so this LCD TV is good for web surfing and such?
    saw some saying 27in and 1280x720 makes a big dot pitch, but depending on what you do thats not bad.

I was thinking baout this or a 201b veiwsonic I dont game mostly dvd's and web and I am nearsghtness so bigger would be nice as I dont do glasses at all.

It has DVI input for my 7800gtx correct? also someone said the speakers buzz and oyu can not disbale the speakers at all is this true?

thanks
    BTW any pics of it sitting on the windows desktop with a digi cam? would be nice ot see the perspective

thanks M8

as i said to you in your other post better get the 24" 2405fpw from dell better resolution and nice price or if you want big one the apple 30" this is really

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Cruncher
    lol well i perhaps could but right now i dont have any and i dont when im going to have one if i have any word soon i would PM you and TUROK cuz i know both wants lcd :P

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    I REALLY want that 2405 DELL....

C

Xtreme Addict
    I would wait for those Acer 20" and 24" LCDs that are going to release in October
    Could be cheaper, since the price in USD is about $500 (20") and $800 (24")

you guys have any coupons you can share? bets i can find is a 22% so its $938 bucks i wante to keep it under $800 ifpossible
    www.slickdeals.net usually posts most of the coupon offers from several stores.
    In the site, search in order of "D"s and look for "Dell Business" or "Dell Home"
    If you already knew this, then I dont know what else to recommend
    As I said, I would wait for the Acer to see if its a better solution for around $800.
    If it is, Dell will probably lower their prices like 50%, because a 6ms-8ms on a 24" pannel with 1000:1 contrast ratios and 500:1 brightness you would expect it to cost $1500-$2000, wile Acer says its going to sell for around $800 (cheaper than the 2405fpw with nice coupons and discounts)
    The cheapest the 2405fpw has gone is about $700 with some lucky discounts.

Talking

N2750W
    so this LCD TV is good for web surfing and such?
    saw some saying 27in and 1280x720 makes a big dot pitch, but depending on what you do thats not bad.

I was thinking baout this or a 201b veiwsonic I dont game mostly dvd's and web and I am nearsghtness so bigger would be nice as I dont do glasses at all.

It has DVI input for my 7800gtx correct? also someone said the speakers buzz and oyu can not disbale the speakers at all is this true?

thanks
    BTW any pics of it sitting on the windows desktop with a digi cam? would be nice ot see the perspective

thanks M8

Hi M8,

I'm very please with this monitor for DVD Playback and Web Surfing.

I'm using DVI input right now. I have not noiced any buzzing coming from the speakers. I do not see where you can diable the speakers but you can turn the volume down to zero.

As for the FP2405 you will want to look at high pitched squeal otherwise I would have probably went with it because of of the CNET reviews by owners of the LCD. My wife is particularly sensative to noise of this type.

Here are the pictures fo the N2750w:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9230056a.jpg 
Views:	1018 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	37510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9230061a.jpg 
Views:	1033 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	37511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9230062a.jpg 
Views:	948 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	37512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9230063a.jpg 
Views:	980 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	37513  
    Last edited by lightiv; 09-24-2005 at 05:13 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    the high pitch noise was a problem with old models and if you recieve a monitor with that rma it....

i like the 2405 fpw cuz is high resolution and large screen

Xtreme Member

Another Samsung

I haven't noticed this mentioned anywhere, but Samsung has a lesser known model, the 214T is a 21.3-inch TFT-PVA. It reportedly has a response time of 8ms G to G, 900:1 contrast ratio, a brightness of 300 cd/m², .27 dot pitch, 1600 x 1200 maximum resolution, a scanning frequency of 30-81 kHz horizontal and 56-75 Hz vertical, and a horizontal/vertical viewing angle of 178°/178°.

That makes it better than any of the 20" models, on paper, that I've seen, and the best response time of the 21" models.

There's only a few places that sell it, and it runs in the $750-800 range. I haven't found any decent reviews in a quick google scan, but it may be something you want to check out for inclusion in the guide.

Great guide btw...excellent information.

peace,
    Aielman

Xtreme Legend
    I'm finally converting to an LCD after waiitng until the technology was cost effective compared to CRT. I loved my IBM 21" (Trinitron) P260 and it's source/s have sentimental value (a gift turing very hard times). It heats an entire house.

[B]This guide has benn the most informative (technically) I've bothered to read. There may a few more in-depth, but your "to the point" writing wastes no time in giving me the info I needed. Thank you.

I need a 19" LCD I see people are conflicting as to which to get.

1st.) How safe is it to have them shipped? This has been the one fact preventing me from purchase. Stores where I live are too costly.

2nd.) I know this question is redundant, but in YOUR opinion what are the best (or best based technology) on buys at the moment on 19" technology and will 19" look larger or even to my current 20" viewable? Is it possible to get a good deal on 19" MVA panels or must I go 19" TN for 300USD - 400USD (approximate) prices?
    Q6600 (8x401FSB 1.28Vcore)
    2x FX-74
    Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
    Asus L1N64-SLI
    Corsair DDR3-1800 2GB
    Geil DDR2-800 4x1GB
    BFG 8800Ultra
    Leadtek 7950GX2 DD GX2
    Tuniq 1200W
    NZXT 1200W
    Storm WB 775
    2x Swiftech Microdrive Socket-L

Xtreme Legend
    I'm finally converting to an LCD after waiitng until the technology was cost effective compared to CRT. I loved my IBM 21" (Trinitron) P260 and it's source/s have sentimental value (a gift turing very hard times). It heats an entire house.

[B]This guide has been the most informative (technically) I've bothered to read. There may a few more showing more models, but your "to the point" writing wastes no time in giving me the technical info I needed. Thank you.

1st.) How safe is it to have them shipped? This has been the one fact preventing me from purchase. Stores where I live are too costly.

2nd.) I know this question is redundant, but in YOUR opinion what are the best (or best based technology) on buys at the moment on 19" technology and will 19" look larger or even to my current 20" viewable? Is it possible to get a good deal on 19" MVA panels or must I go 19" TN for 300USD - 400USD (approximate) prices?
    2x FX-74
    Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
    Asus L1N64-SLI
    Corsair DDR3-1800 2GB
    Geil DDR2-800 4x1GB
    BFG 8800Ultra
    Leadtek 7950GX2 DD GX2
    Tuniq 1200W
    NZXT 1200W
    Storm WB 775

Xtreme Member
    I hope somewhere in the next couple of months Dell will supply new products featuring HDCP-DVI/HDMI and HDMI input (and i'll hope on the same sizes and prices too).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I got the viewsonic VX924 off of compusa. Had a $100 credit so wtf. Anyways I'm happy to say I can't notice any ghosting or motion blurring on BF2/FFXI/CS:S. One thing that REALLY sucks is that when looking at the sky in BF2 and such, it's a if the game was running in 16bit color mode. You can see color "bands" as the sky goes from bright white to dark blue. It reminds me of the old school Voodoo 2/3 days.

So that sucks. I don't know if it's because of the 16.2 mil colors of the TN panel instead of the 16.7 mil of the MVA panels, but if I had to do it again, I'd prob go with the VP191b for sure.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Aielman
    I haven't noticed this mentioned anywhere, but Samsung has a lesser known model, the 214T is a 21.3-inch TFT-PVA. It reportedly has a response time of 8ms G to G, 900:1 contrast ratio, a brightness of 300 cd/m², .27 dot pitch, 1600 x 1200 maximum resolution, a scanning frequency of 30-81 kHz horizontal and 56-75 Hz vertical, and a horizontal/vertical viewing angle of 178°/178°.

That makes it better than any of the 20" models, on paper, that I've seen, and the best response time of the 21" models.

There's only a few places that sell it, and it runs in the $750-800 range. I haven't found any decent reviews in a quick google scan, but it may be something you want to check out for inclusion in the guide.

Great guide btw...excellent information.

peace,
    Aielman
    Looks like a nice LCD.
    There's only a few places that sell it, and it runs in the $750-800 range.
    Dang... I wonder why there arent many review

Ill check on that LCD with Salahuddin
    He's usually informed with new LCD stuff from BeHardware.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid3D
    I'm finally converting to an LCD after waitng until the technology was cost effective compared to CRT. I loved my IBM 21" (Trinitron) P260 and it's source/s have sentimental value (a gift turing very hard times). It heats an entire house.

[B]This guide has benn the most informative (technically) I've bothered to read. There may a few more in-depth, but your "to the point" writing wastes no time in giving me the info I needed. Thank you.

If your IBM P260 is 20" viewable, a 19" LCD will be one inch smaller in viewable area (measuring diagonally of course)

CRTs are measured from the edges of the monitor's casing, wile LCDs are measured by the viewable area.
    Another thing you should note is that a 20" widescreen isnt the same as a 20" 4:3 (squared screen). The windescreen will be wider but shorter, because aspect ratios are usually measured from angle to angle in inches.
    *I may add this info on the guide with a LCD vs CRT graphical comparison of viewable area measurements

1) Shipping should be safe, or else you should be able to get your money back or a replacement.
    It all depends on how the company boxes their products, and how the shipping company handles it.
    If the pannel recieves a hard impact on the screen, it could cause some pixels to get stuck, causing what is known as "dead pixels".
    When you get your LCD, make sure to test it with everything to see if it has any abnormal issues so you can return it before your return waranty expires.

2) The VP191b (v2) is the best 19" LCD out there. There is a samsung pannel that suposedly uses the same pannel, but I dont know much about it :P
    NewEgg sells it for $452 afther shipping. Its worth the extra $52
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116277

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Tibu
    I got the viewsonic VX924 off of compusa. Had a $100 credit so wtf. Anyways I'm happy to say I can't notice any ghosting or motion blurring on BF2/FFXI/CS:S. One thing that REALLY sucks is that when looking at the sky in BF2 and such, it's a if the game was running in 16bit color mode. You can see color "bands" as the sky goes from bright white to dark blue. It reminds me of the old school Voodoo 2/3 days.

So that sucks. I don't know if it's because of the 16.2 mil colors of the TN panel instead of the 16.7 mil of the MVA panels, but if I had to do it again, I'd prob go with the VP191b for sure.
    Ive never seen the VX924 on BF2, so I dont know for sure if its because of the 6 bit color

I think it could be something else tho

Im guessing you hace it connected with your DVI cable, otherwise image quality wont be the same.
    Make sure your LCD is well calibrated.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thats the thing. I've never calibrated an LCD. And since I'm using DVI, I can't use the auto calibrate thingie

Any suggestions?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibu
    Thats the thing. I've never calibrated an LCD. And since I'm using DVI, I can't use the auto calibrate thingie

Any suggestions?
    You can calibrate your monitor by setting up the colors and everything to the perfect measurements.

To calibrate your monitor in a more precise way, you need something that's called a colormeter/spectrometer which is somethingthat you hang on your screen and it has a sensor that detects the purity of each color with the help of a software (which is included with the hardware).

In THG I found this:
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/dis...wsonic-02.html
    Quote Originally Posted by THG
    The VX924 did fairly well in the area of color fidelity; colors were faithfully reproduced. Note, however, that the results weren't satisfactory in sRGB mode; we had to re-adjust manually to get the curve shown here. In the absence of graduations, it's hard to say what the optimum adjustment was, except in terms of color temperature, which was 6500 K, as you might have expected.
    So this confirms that the monitor requires calibration out of the box.

I also found this in THG:
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/dis...19_lcd-01.html
    Quote Originally Posted by THG
    But before you spend that kind of money, we offer free downloads of our own profiles for each monitor tested. You just need to download them, copy and paste them to your computer and change the color parameters as we advise for each. The end result is worth the time.
    but I cant find a VX924 software thing

I would use a picture with pure colors, and different color scales and try to make RPG look as pure as possible.
    You could use this image I googled for your manual calibration:
    http://www.fotomag.net/index_pics/Mo...on%20chart.jpg

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Turok
    ...The VP191b (v2) is the best 19" LCD out there. There is a samsung pannel that suposedly uses the same pannel, but I dont know much about it :P
    NewEgg sells it for $452 afther shipping. Its worth the extra $52
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116277
    ....Make sure your LCD is well calibrated.
    Thank you I really appreciate it. Whom makes this 930B everyone talks about? I know where CRT's were concenred tyhere was two "real" choices Mitsubishi technology and Sony Trinitron technology (i think).

So with LCD's is it Samsung? And whom makes VP191B v2?

How about this Viewsonic for $285
    Last edited by Liquid3D; 10-02-2005 at 05:24 AM.
    2x FX-74
    Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
    Asus L1N64-SLI
    Corsair DDR3-1800 2GB
    Geil DDR2-800 4x1GB
    BFG 8800Ultra
    Leadtek 7950GX2 DD GX2
    Tuniq 1200W
    NZXT 1200W
    Storm WB 775

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid3D
    Thank you I really appreciate it. Whom makes this 930B everyone talks about? I know where CRT's were concenred tyhere was two "real" choices Mitsubishi technology and Sony Trinitron technology (i think).

So with LCD's is it Samsung? And whom makes VP191B v2?

How about this Viewsonic for $285
    The LCD I was refering to is the Viewsonic VP191b (v2). I dont know much about the other samsung that uses a simmilar panel.
    If you want the best 19" LCD, get the VP191b, otherwise your second option would the the Hyundai L90D+, which you can find between $330-$350.

The 930B is a Samsung LCD, and the panel maker is Samsung too
    The VP191B (v2) is a Viewsonic LCD, and the panel maker is AU Optronics.

Was googleing about the VA902b, and it looks like a new LCD
    Was released August 6, 2005
    Im guessing its an S-IPS pannel because of the specs.
    Didnt find any useful reviews.

There is a big problem tho. The LCD doesnt have a DVI port
    *image from NewEgg.com
    Last edited by Turok; 10-02-2005 at 06:46 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So.... Turok, whats up man? Its been a while. So, I am sitting here, reading this thread, with my credit card out, and a 23" Apple Cinema HD in my cart, and then this thread, of course, and I am afraid I am going to make another purchase that I am going to regret (case... RAM...).

So, what is a good course of action? I have briefly read abou the new 24" (is that it) with the 8MS response time, or something like that, available in November... I am going to actually read the goddam thread in detail, but what to do??

Thanks a great deal... In advance

Yan
    i7
    Dell 30" 2560x1600

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast