Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: The LCD Buyers Guide

Xtreme Addict

HP f2304

I got one of these a few days ago and have been playing with it. I really like it and think I will keep it unless something turns up.
    First it is great for watching movies. I don't really have any newer action games but I did run 2001 and some other benches and I did not see any ghosting or trailing in any of them. If someone knows of a program I can download to test for ghosting and trailing, I sure would like to know.

It does not have a split screen but you can put up two pages at the same time.

The reviews are right on, the black is not real black. The rest of the colors are great.

HP now has a lower price on them: $999,99 and there is still the $100 rebate.

Last, I hope this thread doesn't turn into a LCD vs CRT thread. Even though you said not to post about a CRT, I guess some people can't help themselves.

Thanks for the good info, it help me make my choice of this LCD.

Xtreme Member
    Hmmm.... Fujitsu-Siemens C19-4 seems an good LCD, should be mentioned in the recomended LCD's, cause it has an closer performance to Viewsonic VP191b (8ms) and an very good price (I've heard is 200 euro less).

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by marius7
    Hmmm.... Fujitsu-Siemens C19-4 seems an good LCD, should be mentioned in the recomended LCD's, cause it has an closer performance to Viewsonic VP191b (8ms) and an very good price (I've heard is 200 euro less).
    looks like a European LCD.
    The LCD uses an MVA panel at 8ms, must be P-MVA.
    The brightness level is really low, but the contrast ratio is a bit higher than the VP191b

Also noticed another 19" LCD.
    Iiyama ProLite H1900
    Runs on a PVA pannel rated at 12ms
    Contrast ratio is really high at 1000:1 (same contrast ratio on the Dell 2405fpw)
    Its a 19" LCD, but max resolution is 1600 x 1200
    Brightness level is a bit low at 300 cd/m²
    Seems to be a more expensive LCD tho

I'll have to research more about these LCDs with translators

Xtreme Member
    Nice work

Xtreme Cruncher
    thanks hope everybody enjoys this effort
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What would be a good LCD moniter, mostly for gaming. I'm not going to be playing a long time, only about 1-2 hours a day (darn mom). I want it to be really fast, so ghosting is not acceptable, but the price also has to be appropriate. I'm currently considering either the Dell 2001FP or the Dell 2005FPW. What else would you recommend for a large gaming screen, but one that will be fast as well as play in high res. I'm not in too much of a hurry. Will most likely wait till December, but just asking for opinions. Thanks a lot.

Usama aka Ferrari Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    A DFI board is like a divorce, expensive, but well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
    I dunno... I think a DFI board is more like marriage... demanding, time consuming, and a PITA but rewarding in it's own twisted way.

Xtreme Cruncher
    2005fpw best size price and perfomance

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Member
    2005FPW, and get the latest revision. (So you'll not be infected by the backlight/ heavy ghosting + blur issues).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok heres' some questions:

1. Can I still play games at like 1152x864 or even maybe 1024x768 using an LCD with a native resolution of 1280x1024?

2. Would I get ghosting with this LCD: Fuji FP-988D

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Xtreme Member

DVI vs D-Sub

If you have an LCD with both D-Sub and DVI, do you notice any difference in performance/IQ by usuing the digital vs analog connection? If so how noticeable is it?

Xtreme Cruncher
    dvi has better bandwith and you wont loss quality changing the signal from digital to analog to digital you will keep it in digital all the way

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Anyone got any opinions on this LCD: CMV CT-726D

The stats look pretty good. I assume since it's 16.7mil colors and 8ms, its an MVA panel correct?

Cool Viewsonic N2750W vs VP191b

Yeah I know this is an odd comparison but let me know what you think.

Well my Viewsonic P810-3 died after about 7 years of service, great monitor. I am looking to replace it and decide it is time to go LCD. Before I came across the Viewsonic N2750W I had decided on the Viewsonic VP191b after reading the reviews on it. I know I can not go wrong with the VP191b as that is what I use at work.

Looking at the specs. (from Viewsonic.com) for the Viewsonic N2750W I noticed that they are the same or better.

VP191b:

LCD Panel..........Type 19" color TFT active matrix SXGA LCD
    Display Area..........14.8" (horizontal) X 11.9" (vertical); 19.0" diagonal
    Optimum Resolution..........1280x1024
    Contrast Ratio..........800:1 typ)
    Viewing Angle..........170° horizontal, 170° vertical @ CR>10
    Response Time..........8ms (gray-to-gray); 20ms (black-white-black, typ)
    Brightness..........250 cd/m2 (typ)
    Panel Surface..........Anti-glare

N2750W:

LCD Panel..........Type 27" color TFT active matrix, wide 1280x720 LCD, true HDTV format
    Display Area..........23.5" horizontal X 13.2" vertical; 27.0" diagonal
    Contrast Ratio..........900:1 (typ)
    Viewing Angle..........176° horizontal, 176° vertical
    Response Time..........8ms gray to gray
    Brightness..........550 cd/m2 (typ)
    Aspect Ratio..........16:9
    Glass Surface..........Anti-glare, anti-reflective coat, hard DHD coat

My question is are we talking "Apples to Apples" here? I know the price is a big jump but I would have a HDTV ready LCD with the features of a TV (Picture in Pictures) with the N2750W versus just a (great) LCD monitor.

Anyway what do you think?

Xtreme Cruncher
    1280x720 on 27" jesus awful resolution the dop pitch should be quite high

Xtreme Cruncher
    the 2405fpw has better resolution PiP PbP you can conect composite and component video so i think is better

2405fpw

I am going to have the rule this one out due the the high pitch squeal issue:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=44518

This is unfortuantely as looking at the user reviews on CNet the give it an over all rating of 9.1.
    Last edited by lightiv; 09-09-2005 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Added Title for Clarity

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibu
    Anyone got any opinions on this LCD: CMV CT-726D

The stats look pretty good. I assume since it's 16.7mil colors and 8ms, its an MVA panel correct?
    Could be a P-MVA panel, an S-IPS, or even a fast MVA.

* If its a P-MVA panel, it could be VP191b quality

* If its a S-IPS panel, the image quality will be a bit lower, you will have more narow viewing angles than a PVA/MVA pannel, and

* If its just a MVA panel, it may have problems with response times. It could jump from 8ms to 20ms on some color transitions, and what the company may be saying is taht 8ms is the fastest response, which average could be more than 8ms

The best thing would be to check on some good reviews or that someone that has it could test it, because its not always true what companies say about their LCDs

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turok
    Heh, thats Salahuddin's writing
    Salahuddin kind of exagerates things about LCDs, like saying that a 16ms is horrible for gaming when you hardly notice any blur.
    Hey that is mean! I don't exaggerate. If ANYONE wants to come over to my house with a 16ms screen and an 8ms screen, even if they are BOTH TN panels, I'm quite certain I can show them such a big difference between the panels that I will get an "Oh wow, that is a big difference," response from them.

Its easy to get used to the afterglow and blurring on a slower LCD panel. That is why people playing on huge 23-inch PVA LCDs with a 25ms response time even tell you they notice no blurring. Just by the mere size of a 23-inch screen you will notice more afterglow than smaller panels.

I'm currently playing on a 19-inch 16ms TN panel as I await the release of some more 4ms panels in my area, and there is a big difference between the 8ms and faster panels I have already tested. Most reviewers who actually test response time in gaming specifically between many LCDs have said the same thing. Find ONE review where someone has tested an 8ms TN panel and found it to be equivalent in performance in gaming to a 16ms or slower panel?

Oh btw Turok, here is the 21-inch 8ms PVA panel you wanted me to let you know about:

http://www.behardware.com/news/lire/07-09-2005/#7781

Quote Originally Posted by Tibu
    Ok heres' some questions:

1. Can I still play games at like 1152x864 or even maybe 1024x768 using an LCD with a native resolution of 1280x1024?

2. Would I get ghosting with this LCD: Fuji FP-988D

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Just in case you haven't found any answers to your questions yet, if you plan to buy an LCD, plan to use it ALWAYS in its native resolution. Yes you can use them at 1024x768 or 1152x864 if you must, but scaling on LCDs is by definition poor. So will always have a poorer visual result when compared to a CRT. That being said, some LCDs scale better than others.

As for the particular model you mentioned, I haven't individually tested it... but since it appears to be some type of VA panel and is rated at 12ms, I can't see it being comparable to a fast TN panel in terms of afterglow when gaming. If you're not going to game much on it, however, it looks like a very nice LCD from the specs.
    Last edited by Salahuddin; 09-11-2005 at 03:21 PM.
    AMD FX-6300 @4.7GHZ, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, Patriot Viper 3 2X8GB @ 1960MHZ & 10-11-10-27, EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1024MB @ 930/2200, EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 675/973 (PhysX), Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB SSD, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA II, x2 500 GB Wester Digital Caviar SATA II, Samsung SH-203N LightScribe DVD Writer, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W, Antec P280 Case, Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED, 3DMark 11: P4551

Xtreme Enthusiast
    For 17" I woulda recommended the Samsung 710II instead, but other than that, kick@$$ reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Turok
    Would be nice if a 2405fpw user could coments about the screen in gaming.
    I have a screen that i think is pretty much like dell 2405fpw, Samsung 242mp.
    Some things differ but it has to be the same panel.
    I aint a pro on testing screens but i have with help from friends looked many times for ghosting on the screen and no one could say they see anything. Even ppl that was ranting about slow 16ms screen before. I also have tried games like call of duty 1600*1200 in 4:3 and widescreen streched (native is 1920*1200). Same with that, me and my friends thaught it looked equally good either streched or not, some even thaught it was nicer streched to widescreen, no one said the opposite. And this is ppl that are crt fans. Only thing all off them agreed on, its a very nice screen and works fine for gaming. Maybe not the best but before i seen any faster close up i am satisfied, maybe not after but now i am.
    Dont be afraid to buy this kind of lcd´s i thing most ppl will not notice that its 16ms. Some experts i am sure will but i aint one of them and most ppl are not either.

Edit: sorry for the messed up txt, i am very tired.
    Last edited by Danne980; 09-13-2005 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Tired
    X3520
    R2E
    Corsair DDR3 1600mhz
    X25-e
    2xCorsair S128
    GTX 295

Xtreme Member
    sed
    sed
    sed
    sed
    sed

can't wait need new TV........
    Lian-Li V2000 - OCZ PowerStream 520W
    DFI NF4 SLI DR EXPERT (E704-BT BIOS)
    Opteron X2 175 CCBWE 0530 TPMW- Mushkin redline XP4000 2X1GB
    WD Raptor SATA 74GB *2 (raid 0)
    Plextor 716 SATA DVDRW - Samsung 160GB SATA
    MSI 6600GT

Thermochill 120.2 - Laing D5 pump - HDPE Reservoir - Swiftech STORM
    PolarFlo TT GPU block - vantec fan controller - SANACE 103CFM fans

Xtreme Addict

dell 2405

Did Dell change the native resolution on these? In a Dell flyer I got at work, it says optimal resolution of 1680x1050.

Hi, i got two 2405 - Turok have asked me do a long set of tests of the screens for the LCD guide.

He also made me aware of the squeal problem - and i checked both my screens for this problem.

There is NO audible sound from either screen when sitting at a normal viwing distance (0.5m to 1.0m).

If i press my ear against the air vents on the back i can hear a very low pitched humm from the first screen.

On the second screen i can also hear the low pitched humm - but on that screen there is also a higher pitched squeel on top of that - almost a ringing sound. Luckily it is not loud. Also the pitch of the sound is much lower than what i usually think of as the typical TV electronics squeel (i have a TV that makes a much higher pitched squeal).

I tested the screens at 1920x1200 resolution with brightness at 50% using the DVI port. Tested in both hot (after 8 hours of use) and cold codition.

I am also doing a number of other tests for Turoks guide, but its taking a bit of time as im taking photos of the screen under different conditions - and its quite difficult to get good shots using a digital camera.

Xtreme Addict
    Still looking for an answer to my ?, were the 2405 always native resolution 1680 x 1050 or were they 1920 x 1200 and dell changed them?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by +Torm+
    Hi, i got two 2405 - Turok have asked me do a long set of tests of the screens for the LCD guide.

He also made me aware of the squeal problem - and i checked both my screens for this problem.

There is NO audible sound from either screen when sitting at a normal viwing distance (0.5m to 1.0m).

If i press my ear against the air vents on the back i can hear a very low pitched humm from the first screen.

On the second screen i can also hear the low pitched humm - but on that screen there is also a higher pitched squeel on top of that - almost a ringing sound. Luckily it is not loud. Also the pitch of the sound is much lower than what i usually think of as the typical TV electronics squeel (i have a TV that makes a much higher pitched squeal).

I tested the screens at 1920x1200 resolution with brightness at 50% using the DVI port. Tested in both hot (after 8 hours of use) and cold codition.

I am also doing a number of other tests for Turoks guide, but its taking a bit of time as im taking photos of the screen under different conditions - and its quite difficult to get good shots using a digital camera.
    Thanks a lot for your help +Torm+
    Ive been asking for help from several 2405 users, but you're the only one who's helping

Quote Originally Posted by dogsx2
    Still looking for an answer to my ?, were the 2405 always native resolution 1680 x 1050 or were they 1920 x 1200 and dell changed them?
    the 2405fpw is ALWAYS 1920 x 1200. Its the number of pixels it has on the entire screen.
    What's your video solution?

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast